Nachrichten

Schloss Okehampton

Schloss Okehampton


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Das im Doomsday Book von 1086 aufgeführte Okehampton Castle in Devon, England, wurde während der normannischen Zeit erbaut und im 14. Jahrhundert zum Herrenhaus des Earl of Devon, Hugh de Courtenay, erweitert.

Okehampton Castle blieb bis 1538 im Besitz der Familie Courtenay, als Henry de Courtenay mit Heinrich VIII. über die Reformation in Streit trat und im Tower of London hingerichtet wurde. Danach wurde Okehampton Castle nicht mehr genutzt. Die Überreste von Okehampton Castle sind jetzt für die Öffentlichkeit zugänglich und werden von English Heritage verwaltet.

Geschichte von Okehampton Castle

Nach der normannischen Eroberung Englands wurde Okehamption Castle zwischen 1068 und 1086 vom normannischen Lord Baldwin Fitzgilbert erbaut, der 1068 eine Rebellion in Devon niederschlug. Zur Zeit des Domesday Book hatte Fitzgilbert die Ehre von Okehampton: eine Gruppe von etwa 200 Ländereien in ganz Devon, die von Burgen wie Okehamption bewacht werden.

Die Burg war strategisch entlang einer wichtigen Route von Devon nach Cornwall positioniert und wurde durch ein Burgwächtersystem geschützt, bei dem Fitzgilbert Land als Rückzahlung für die Garnison zuwies. Er gründete auch eine nahe gelegene Stadt mit einem Markt und einer Getreidemühle. Im Jahr 1173 ging Okehampton durch Heirat an Renaud de Courtenay über und die Burg diente später als Militärfestung, die von Richard I. requiriert wurde. Die de Courtenays errichteten eine neue Vorburg.

Hugh de Courtenay, Earl of Devon, erbte 1297 Okehampton und erweiterte die Einrichtungen um einen 690 Hektar großen Wildpark, der als Jagdhaus mit einer Luxusresidenz genutzt werden sollte. Im 15. Jahrhundert wurde die Familie de Courtenay jedoch auf der yorkistischen Seite des Rosenkrieges gefangen. Edward IV. beschlagnahmte die Burg, obwohl sie von Lancastrian Heinrich VI. zurückgegeben wurde. Als Heinrich VII. 1485 den Thron bestieg, endete der Konflikt und Okehampton wurde an die Familie zurückgegeben.

Der Besitz der Burg blieb bedeutend und war während des englischen Bürgerkriegs in der Nähe der Schlacht von Sourton Down. Das Schloss war im 18. Jahrhundert ein beliebtes Ziel für Künstler des Erhabenen und Malerischen Stils. Im 20. Jahrhundert wurde Okehampton schließlich als antikes Denkmal unter den Schutz des englischen Erbes gestellt.

Okehampton Castle heute

Nehmen Sie heute einen kostenlosen Audioguide mit, um die Geschichte der Burg zu hören, die mit den Geschichten der englischen Könige verbunden ist. Wenn Sie um die Motte herumgehen, können Sie sehen, wo einst der 4 Meter tiefe Graben war, und auf die Ruinen des großen Bauwerks blicken.

Genießen Sie ein Mittagessen in einem schönen Picknickplatz am Flussufer, bevor Sie die nahe gelegenen Waldwege erkunden – ein großartiger Ort für begeisterte Vogelbeobachter und Liebhaber von Wildblumen, die über Wiesen, Wälder und Motten verstreut sind.

Anreise nach Okehampton Castle

Mit dem Auto liegt Okehampton eine halbe Meile südwestlich vom Stadtzentrum entfernt und biegt bei der Post in die Castle Road ein, die deutlich ausgeschildert ist. Ein kostenloser Parkplatz befindet sich einen kurzen Spaziergang entlang einer Gasse vom Schloss entfernt. Mit den öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln nehmen Sie die Dartmoor Railway Line nach Okehampton, die 800 m entfernt liegt. Die Buslinien Stagecoach X9, Beacon Bus 118 und Dartline 178 halten alle in der Stadt.


Okehampton Castle - Geschichte

SCHLOSS OKEHAMPTON, EX20 1JA

Weitere Informationen: Der Schlossparkplatz befindet sich in der Castle Lane - Sie werden am Kreisverkehr ein Schild in diese Richtung sehen. Wenn Sie das Schild verpassen, landen Sie auf dem angrenzenden Hügel mit Blick auf die Burg.

Bedeutende Ruine einer Motte und Vorburg in einem Wald. Auf der Motte gibt es einen Zugang, aber leider nicht auf der Spitze, die sie krönt. Beachten Sie, dass das Schloss nur während der Sommermonate geöffnet ist.

1. Baldwin FitzGilbert (auch bekannt als Baldwin de Meules) hatte 1066 Wilhelm I. bei der Invasion Englands begleitet und wurde reich belohnt. Das Domesday-Buch von 1086 zeigt umfangreiche Landbesitzungen in Devon. Neben seiner Burg Okehampton wurde er zum Kastellan von Exeter Castle ernannt.

2. Während des 14. und 15. Jahrhunderts war Okehampton Castle im Besitz der Familie Courtenay

Die Burg von Okehampton, die den Fluss Okement überragt, begann ihr Leben als normannischer Außenposten, der der militärischen Eroberungs- und Kontrollkampagne im West Country diente. Abgesehen von dieser frühen militärischen Funktion ist die Burg danach jedoch nicht mehr dienstlich belegt und diente hauptsächlich als Jagdschloss.

GESCHICHTE VON OKEHAMPTON CASTLE

Als sich im Südwesten eine Rebellion gegen die normannische Invasion anbahnte, ernannte Wilhelm I. (der Eroberer) einen seiner engsten Unterstützer zum Sheriff von Devon. Baldwin FitzGilbert (auch bekannt als Baldwin de Meules) erhielt die Erlaubnis, sein eigenes Schloss zu bauen, und er entschied sich für Okehampton, wo er eine traditionelle Motte-and-Bayley-Burg errichtete, die darauf abzielte, die nahe gelegene sächsische Siedlung Ocmundtune sowie mehrere nahe gelegene Handelswege zu dominieren.

Die ursprüngliche Burg, wie sie im frühen 11. Jahrhundert erbaut wurde, war größtenteils aus Holz, obwohl der Turm, der die Motte überragte, ein Steinfundament hatte und möglicherweise teilweise aus Stein bestand. Rund um die Burg entwickelte sich ein florierender Markt, wie im Domesday Book vermerkt, aber zu dieser Zeit sind nur wenige weitere Informationen über die Burg bekannt. Es wird sicherlich nicht als eine Rolle im Bürgerkrieg zwischen König Stephen und Königin Matilda aufgezeichnet.

Gegen Ende des 13. Jahrhunderts war die Burg ohne nennenswerte Änderungen veraltet. Darüber hinaus war seine Rolle als militärische Festung überflüssig geworden, da die Eigentümer ihren Schwerpunkt auf ihren Hauptwohnsitz in Tiverton verlegt hatten. Umbauten wurden vorgenommen, um das Schloss zu einem attraktiven Rückzugsort für die Jagd zu machen.

Im Gegensatz zu den meisten anderen Burgen in der Gegend nahm Okehampton nicht am Bürgerkrieg teil, vielleicht weil es zu ruinös war. Danach durfte das Schloss langsam verfallen, bis es 1917 in die Treuhand übernommen wurde.


Schloss Tiverton

Mit dem Ende der Sperrung in Großbritannien hoffen wir, das Schloss nach dem 22. Juli 2021 öffnen zu können.

Die Gärten können ab dem 1. Juli besichtigt werden. Bitte rufen Sie 01884 253200 an oder senden Sie eine E-Mail an [email protected], um sonntags und donnerstags zwischen 14.30 und 17.30 Uhr zu buchen. Barzahlung bei Ankunft.

Unsere Selbstversorger-Objekte können Sie mieten.

Nur wenige Gebäude erwecken ein so historisches Gefühl wie das ehrwürdige Tiverton Castle.

Die erste Erwähnung von Tiverton findet sich im Testament von König Alfred von 885. Er besaß das Herrenhaus von Tiverton und starb 899. Bis 1066 war es im Besitz von Prinzessin Gytha, der Mutter von König Harold, aber Wilhelm der Eroberer nahm es in Besitz.

Ursprünglich im Jahr 1106 im Auftrag von Heinrich I. erbaut und später im 13. und 14. Jahrhundert umgebaut und stark erweitert, war Tiverton Castle einst die Heimat der mächtigen mittelalterlichen Earls of Devon und einer Plantagenet-Prinzessin. Mit späteren An- und Umbauten im Laufe der Jahrhunderte sind alle Epochen der Architektur vom Mittelalter bis zur Moderne zu sehen, mit wunderschönen ummauerten Gärten innerhalb der romantischen Ruinen.

Während des englischen Bürgerkriegs von General Sir Thomas Fairfax belagert, fiel es durch einen glücklichen Schuss, der eine Zugbrückenkette traf. Dies war das einzige Mal in seiner langen Geschichte, dass es eine Schlacht gab.

Teils als antikes Monument und teils als Denkmalschutz eingestuft, ist das Schloss das Privathaus von Angus und Alison Gordon, die es gerne auf folgende Weise mit anderen teilen:

Das Schloss steht nicht mehr für Hochzeiten, Veranstaltungen oder Veranstaltungen zur Verfügung.

Kontaktieren Sie Tiverton Castle für weitere Details in unserem Büro unter 01884 253 200


Schloss Okehampton

In der Zivilgemeinde von Okehampton Hamlets.
In der historischen Grafschaft Devonshire.
Moderne Autorität von Devon.
1974 Grafschaft Devon.
Mittelalterliche Grafschaft Devon.

OS Map Grid-Referenz: SX583942
Breitengrad 50.73053°. Längengrad -4.00849°.

Okehampton Castle wurde als gewisses Timber Castle und auch als gewisses Masonry Castle beschrieben.

Es gibt Mauerwerk Ruinen/Reste Reste.

Diese Seite ist ein gesetzlich geschütztes Denkmal. Dies ist ein denkmalgeschütztes Gebäude, das gesetzlich geschützt ist*.

Okehampton Castle wurde kurz nach der normannischen Eroberung erbaut und liegt strategisch nahe dem Zentrum von Devon, wo sich wichtige Routen treffen, auf einem natürlichen Schiefervorsprung, der durch einen riesigen Graben vom Hügel getrennt wurde. Es wurde in der Domesday-Erhebung von 1086 n. Chr. als Eigentum von Baldwin von Brionne aufgezeichnet, der 1070 n. Chr. Sheriff von Devon geworden war. Bis 1274 war die Burg im Besitz der Familie Courtenay halb verfallen. Einige Jahre später wurde es umgebaut und erweitert, nicht als Festung, sondern als gelegentlicher Wohnsitz inmitten eines großen Wildparks. 1539 wurde Edward Courtenay des Hochverrats verdächtigt und von Heinrich VIII. hingerichtet. Die Burg wurde ihrer Einrichtungs- und Einrichtungsgegenstände beraubt und verfiel als Baumaterial für die Einheimischen. Zur Burg gehört ein großer Hügel, auf dessen Motte sich ein steinerner Bergfried befindet. Zu den erhaltenen Überresten gehört die Struktur des von Baldwin erbauten quadratischen Bergfrieds aus dem 11. Jahrhundert. Diese wurde im 14. Jh. zu einem dreistöckigen rechteckigen Gebäude hinzugefügt. Die etwa 8 Meter hohe Motte besteht aus dem natürlichen Sporn und künstlich aufgebauten Ablagerungen. Im Nordosten der Motte befand sich die Vorburg, in der sich die Gebäude befanden, in denen die Bewohner versorgt und untergebracht wurden. Die erhaltenen Gebäude stammen größtenteils aus dem 14. Jahrhundert und bestanden ursprünglich aus einem großen Saal, Ställen, einer Kapelle, Küchen und anderen Haushalts- oder Lagerräumen. Die Vorburg wurde entlang der Nord- und Südseite von Ringmauern verteidigt, die auf das 12. Jh. zurückgehen könnten. Am nordöstlichen Ende befand sich ein doppeltes Torhaus, das durch einen Korridor verbunden war. Westlich der Motte befinden sich Erdwerke, von denen man annimmt, dass sie die Überreste einer früheren Burg mit ähnlicher Konstruktion wie die Motte darstellen. Die in der Nähe der Burg gefundenen Restfunde römischer Kacheln und Töpferwaren weisen auf den möglichen Standort einer Villa hin. (PastScape)

Okehampton Castle liegt in einer Biegung des West Okement River und nördlich des West Okement River, etwa 500 m südwestlich der Stadt Okehampton. Der Standort beherrscht das Tal, durch das die Straße von Devon nach Cornwall führte, bevor der Bau der späteren Straße die Talseite nach Norden höher schnitt. Die ursprüngliche Burg war eine Motten- und Vorburgkonstruktion und wurde 1086 n. Chr. erbaut, als sie im Domesday Book als Eigentum von Sheriff Baldwin verzeichnet wurde. Die Burg umfasst einen großen Hügel, die Motte, auf der sich der Bergfried befindet. Es wird angenommen, dass ein Teil dieses Bergfrieds von Sheriff Baldwin gebaut wurde und der älteste der erhaltenen Steinstrukturen ist. Der Bergfried aus dem 11. Jahrhundert war quadratisch, wurde aber im 14. Jahrhundert zu einem rechteckigen Gebäude hinzugefügt, das als eine dreistöckige Ruine erhalten geblieben ist. Die Motte, auf der sie steht, hat einen Gipfel von ca. 25 x 30 m im Durchmesser, während die Basis an ihrer breitesten Stelle über 60 m breit ist. Die Motte besteht teilweise aus dem natürlichen Landsporn, auf dem die Burg steht, und teilweise aus künstlich angelegten Ablagerungen, die ihr eine Höhe von etwa 8 m verleihen. Im Nordosten der Motte befindet sich die Hauptburg der Burg, die wichtige Gebäude für die Unterbringung und Ernährung der Burgbewohner enthielt. Die erhaltenen Gebäude stammen größtenteils aus dem 14. Jahrhundert und viele der ursprünglichen Gebäude in der Vorburg wären abgerissen worden, um Platz für sie zu machen. Die Vorhofgebäude boten den Bewohnern des Schlosses Unterschlupf, Lagerräume und Aktivitätsräume, darunter Wirtschaftsräume, einen großen Saal, Stallungen, eine Kapelle und Küchen. Die Verteidigung wurde durch Ringmauern entlang der Nord- und Südseite der Vorburg gewährleistet, während ein doppeltes Torhaus, das durch einen Korridor verbunden war, einen beeindruckenden Eingang zur Burg am nordöstlichen Ende bot. Neuere Forschungen deuten darauf hin, dass die Vorhangmauern der Linie der früheren Vorburgverteidigung folgen und wahrscheinlich aus dem späten 12. Jahrhundert stammen. Westlich des Steinbruchgrabens, der die Motte umgibt, befindet sich ein Sporn, auf dem ein Erdwerk überlebt hat, das ungefähr von Nord nach Süd verläuft, bevor es sich nach Osten entlang der Spitze des steilen Hanges mit Blick auf den West Okement River dreht. Dieses Erdwerk ist wahrscheinlich die Grenze einer früheren Vorburg als die östliche und seine Konstruktion ähnelt der der Motte, die beide aus abgebautem Schiefer und Erde gebaut wurden. Die Burganlage enthält auch weitere Ruinen nordwestlich der Motte, innerhalb eines Geländes nördlich des Baches, der durch die Anlage fließt. Diese überleben als eine Reihe von verstreuten Wandabschnitten mit einer Breite von ca. 0,75 m und einer Länge von weniger als 1 m bis zu mehreren Metern. Diese sichtbaren Überreste scheinen Teil weiterer unter der Oberfläche vergrabener Gebäude zu sein. Der Bach mündet nordöstlich der Burg in den West Okement River und grenzt an eine Reihe leichter Erdwälle, von denen angenommen wird, dass sie eine zusätzliche Verteidigung auf der Nordseite der Burg darstellen, und eine Reihe späterer Bauwerke, die nach dem Erlöschen der Burg errichtet wurden von Nutzen. Okehampton ist das einzige Schloss in Devon, das im Domesday Book erwähnt wird und wurde später von den Courtenays erworben, die für die Mehrheit der heute noch erhaltenen Steingebäude verantwortlich waren. (Planungsbericht)

Der strategische Wert des Ortes kann überbewertet werden und diese Burg war möglicherweise von Anfang an ein bedeutendes und bedeutendes Jagdschloss. De Brionnes wichtigste militärische und administrative Burg war Rougemont Castle in Exeter. Bezeichnenderweise liegt die Burg etwas abseits der Stadt. Lage und Funktion sollten mit Restormel Castle in Cornwall und den jüngsten Arbeiten von Oliver Creighton an dieser Burg verglichen werden.

Links zu archäologischen und architektonischen Datenbanken, Kartierungen und anderen Online-Ressourcen


Okehampton, Devon

Okehampton, ein Stadtbezirk, eine Gemeinde und eine Gemeinde in Devonshire. Die Stadt liegt in einem Tal, am Zusammenfluss der Flüsse East Okement und West Okement und an der Nordgrenze von Dartmoor, inmitten einer vollständigen Hügellandschaft, wobei die geringste Höhe 500 Fuß über dem Meeresspiegel liegt, 3¾ Meilen N von E des Gipfels von Yes Tor, über 2000 Fuß hoch, mit einer Station am L. & SWR, 197 Meilen von London und 22 W von N von Exeter. Es hat ein Hauptpostamt. Es war in Domesday als Ockmenton bekannt und war das Oberhaupt der Baronie oder Grafschaft von Devon und der Sitz der erblichen County Sheriffs, die die Burg von Exeter bewachten. Die Baronie war eine der größten im Königreich und wurde von Wilhelm dem Eroberer an Balduin de Brioniis geschenkt, der zur Zeit Heinrichs II. durch Heirat ging. zu den Conrtenays fuhren mit ihnen bis zur Zeit von Edward IV. fort und wurden dann von Thomas, Earl of Devon, für die Teilnahme an Heinrich VI. ging von dort bis zur Thronbesteigung Heinrichs VII.) durch verschiedene Hände wurde bei der Thronbesteigung Heinrichs VII. wieder an die Courtenays zurückgegeben wurde zu Beginn der Zeit Heinrichs VIII. wieder verwirkt, als Folge von angeblichem oder wirklichem Verrat von Heinrich Courtenay, Marquis von Exeter ging zur Zeit von Mary zu den Courtenays zurück und ging zur Zeit von Charles I. durch Heirat an die Mohuns über, die Barone von Okehampton wurden und 1712 scheiterten. Die Barone übten in der gesamten Baronie große Macht aus, übten sie aus das Recht der Todesstrafe über acht Herrenhäuser und fungierte als Verwalter bei der Einsetzung der Bischöfe der Diözese. An der Seite des Okements, etwa eine Dreiviertelmeile südwestlich der Stadt, wurde eine stattliche Burg von Baldwin de Brioniis gebaut, die von nachfolgenden Baronen als Sitz der großen Baronie erweitert, restauriert und verschönert wurde bis zum Verfall in der Zeit Heinrichs VIII. und wurde dann demontiert und das damit verbundene Gelände verwüstet, so dass es nie wieder bewohnt wurde. Die Ruinen davon stehen noch und bilden mit den sie umgebenden Gegenständen ein sehr eindrucksvolles Bild sehr stark bilden sie eine große Masse oder Gruppe von Mauerwerk und sind dennoch so in Holz eingeprägt, dass sie von der Straße, die sich ihnen nähert, nur leicht sichtbar sind, und sie umfassen einen kleinen viereckigen Bergfried aus dekoriertem oder später englischem Datum und niedrigeren Gebäuden mit großer Saal, zahlreiche Kammern und ein Teil einer Kapelle, die von Frühenglisch bis Perpendicular reichen. Die Stadt wurde während der Bürgerkriege zweimal von Charles I. und zweimal von Sir Thomas Fairfax besucht. Alle umliegenden Teile von Dartmoor sind reich an malerischen und romantischen Landschaften und bieten gleichzeitig zahlreichen Schafherden Weiden.

Der Bezirk ist gut mit Wasser aus Dartmoor versorgt, verfügt über ein effizientes Entwässerungssystem und ist einer der gesündesten Ferienorte in Devonshire. Im Jahr 1887 wurde die Ostbrücke um etwa 10 Fuß verbreitert. Es gibt drei Getreidemühlen und einige große Schrank- und Schreinereien. Es ist Sitz von kleinen Sitzungen und Kreisgerichten, dient als bequemes Zentrum für Ausflüge in Dartmoor und hat drei Banken, ein gutes Hotel, mehrere ausgezeichnete Gasthäuser, zwei Brücken, ein Rathaus, ein Markthaus, zwei Kirchen, vier abweichende Kapellen, ein Arbeitshaus und Wohltätigkeitsorganisationen. Das Rathaus steht in der Fore Street, ist ein großes Gebäude und wird für die Gerichte verwendet. Das Markthaus grenzt an das Rathaus und wurde 1826 erbaut. Eine Butter- und Geflügelhalle wurde 1880 gebaut. Die Pfarrkirche steht auf einer kühnen Erhebung etwa eine halbe Meile westlich der Stadt, wurde außer dem Turm durch einen Brand zerstört im Jahr 1842 wurde es bald für 3.500 Pfund wieder aufgebaut und ist ein großes und schönes Gebäude im gotischen Stil mit hohem Turm. Die St.-Jakobs-Kapelle steht in der Stadt, war ursprünglich eine Chorkapelle, stammt aus der Zeit vor dem 13. Jahrhundert, wurde restauriert und hat zwei schöne Buntglasfenster und einen Turm mit einer interessanten alten Glocke, die als Ausgangssperre jeden Abend seit undenklichen Zeiten. Es wird auch jeden Morgen geläutet. Es gibt kongregationalistische, baptistische, wesleyanische und bibelchristliche Kapellen. Das Arbeitshaus bietet Platz für 150 Personen. Am Samstag findet ein Wochenmarkt statt, jeden ersten Samstag im Monat ein großer Viehmarkt und am zweiten Dienstag nach dem 11. März ein Viehmarkt in der Gemeinde. Die Stadt ist eine Gemeinde auf Rezept, entsandte in der Zeit von Edward I. und Edward II. und von 1640 bis zur Verabschiedung des Reformgesetzes im Jahr 1832 zwei Mitglieder ins Parlament und wurde durch dieses Gesetz entrechtet. Es wird jetzt von einer Körperschaft geleitet, die aus einem Bürgermeister, 4 Schöffen und 12 Stadträten besteht, die den Stadtbezirksrat bilden. Einwohnerzahl des Gemeindebezirks, 1879. Seit der letzten Volkszählung jedoch ist ein erheblicher Anstieg zu verzeichnen, viele Häuser wurden und werden noch errichtet und seine geringe Sterberate macht ihn zu einem beliebten Wohn- und Ferienort. Oaklands ist ein hübscher Sitz in der Nachbarschaft. Okehampton ist ein großartiges Zentrum für Artillerieübungen. Die Gemeinde umfasst auch die Weiler Kigbear, Chicacott, Brightley, Fartherford, Meldon, Southacott und Maddaford. Anbaufläche, 12.989 Einwohner, 2469. Das Leben ist ein Pfarrhaus in der Diözese Exeter Nettowert, £395 mit Wohnsitz.

Verwaltung

Im Folgenden sind die Verwaltungseinheiten aufgeführt, in die dieser Ort ganz oder teilweise eingegliedert war.

Antike GrafschaftDevon
KirchengemeindeOakhampton Allerheiligen
HundertLifton
Gewerkschaft des ArmenrechtsOakhampton

Alle Daten in dieser Tabelle sollten nur als Richtlinie dienen.

Kirchenbücher

Findmypast hat in Zusammenarbeit mit dem South West Heritage Trust, dem Parochial Church Council und der Devon Family History Society die Taufen, Verbote, Heiraten und Bestattungen für Okehampton online gestellt


EIN DEVONSHIRE-Dorf-GASTHAUS

Devonshire Pub aus dem 16. Jahrhundert mit Zimmern im historischen und malerischen Dorf Lydford in Dartmoor.

Wir haben jetzt 7 Tage die Woche geöffnet, 11 Uhr bis Montag & 8211 Freitag und 10 Uhr & Samstag und Sonntag geschlossen. Tische können in unserem beheizten und beleuchteten Stretchzelt über den Button Tisch reservieren unten reserviert werden. Viele weitere ungedeckte Tische stehen in unserem großen Garten nach dem First-Come-Prinzip zur Verfügung.

Wir nehmen Zimmerbuchungen ab dem 17. Mai entgegen, Reservierungen können über die Schaltfläche "Zimmer buchen" unten vorgenommen werden.

Bitte informieren Sie sich über unser aktuelles Geschehen auf Facebook und Instagram (Links unten auf der Seite). Wenn Sie weitere Fragen haben, senden Sie uns bitte eine E-Mail an [email protected]

Sehen Sie sich unsere Speisekarten, Informationen zur Gartenbestellung an und bestellen Sie jetzt Ihr Essen zum Mitnehmen!


Schloss Okehampton

Es gibt etwa 18 Orte, denen das Ortsnamenselement ‘castle’ beigefügt ist, von diesen gibt es nur Castle Drogo, Gidleigh Castle, Lydford Castle und Okehampton Castle, die fast an eine befestigte Struktur des historischen Zeitalters erinnern. Zwar gibt es mehrere Burgen aus der Eisenzeit, die Burgen genannt werden und die zwar befestigt sind, aber diese können nicht als „echte" Burgen klassifiziert werden. Von den verbleibenden vier Gebäuden wurde Castle Drogo in den frühen 1900er Jahren erbaut, Lydford Castle konnte als Gefängnis eingestuft werden und Gidleigh Castle war ein befestigtes Herrenhaus aus dem 14. Jahrhundert. Dann bleibt Okehampton Castle übrig, das Bilder von ritterlichen Rittern, Jungfrauen in Not und anderen romantischen Vorstellungen heraufbeschwören kann. Diese Festung ist sicherlich die größte Burg in Dartmoor und einige werden sagen, dass sie die größte im Südwesten ist.

Es ist überraschend, wie schnell die Zeit antike Ruinen verwüsten kann, weshalb es immer nützlich ist zu lesen, was frühe Besucher gesehen haben, wenn sie solche Stätten gesehen haben. In den frühen 1800er Jahren besuchte James Haskell Okehampton Castle und stellte Folgendes fest:

Die angenehmen, wenn auch nachdenklichen Gedanken, die den Geist beim Besuch der Schauplätze antiker Größe beschäftigen, werden hier besonders durch die düstere Lage dieser Ruinen wiedergegeben, die in einem Tal liegen, auf beiden Seiten von steilen Hügeln begrenzt und von einer Stromschnelle bewässert werden Strom. Diese Überreste sind äußerst verstreut, die Südseite ist am meisten verbunden und vollkommen, sie erhebt sich über einige reiche Sträucher, die auf der gegenüberliegenden Seite durch einen Hängewald angenehm kontrastiert werden, und zwischen diesen greift eine Ebene von ausgezeichneter Weide ein. Auf einem hohen Berg steht noch ein großer Turm, der zum Bergfried gehört, aber eine Hälfte davon steht kurz vor dem Einsturz‘, (1807, S.40).

Mehr als hundert Jahre später beschrieb Eden Phillpotts seinen Herbstbesuch und wie unten zu sehen ist, schlagen seine Worte jeden Reiseführer, da seine brillanten literarischen Fähigkeiten ein lebendiges geistiges Bild von dem zeichnen, was er sah:

Von oben betrachtet ließ sich der Grundriss der Burg deutlich nachzeichnen, und es bedurfte keiner großen Kenntnisse, um der architektonischen Gestaltung zu folgen. Die Sockel der Pfeiler, die zu einem Kreuzeingang sprangen, blieben noch erhalten, und im Inneren ragten rechts und links des Hofes die dachlosen Mauern einer Prunk- oder Feststube auf, einerseits Kapelle, Oratorium und Wachzimmer auf dem anderen. Die Kapelle hatte eine piscina an der Südwand war die Haupthalle durch ihren mächtigen Schornstein bemerkenswert. Draußen wurden die Ruinen der Küchen freigelegt, und sie umarmten einen Ofen, der groß genug war, um Brot für ein Dorf zu backen. Ringsherum klafften die Fundamente anderer Wohnungen und öffneten tiefe Ösenfenster in der Dicke der Wände. Die Masse war so miteinander verbunden und verwoben, dass sie einst eine große Ansammlung von Kammern darstellen musste, die durch einen Mauerring befestigt waren, aber jetzt ragte der Bergfried auf einem separaten Hügel südwestlich der Ruine auf und stand allein. Es war viereckig, dominierte das Tal und präsentierte eine für alle Annäherungen uneinnehmbare Front&8230 Weit unter dem hellen Okement schlängelt sich der Berg mit einem braunen Gürtel aus schäumendem Wasser, der die Wiesen durchzieht und darüber hinaus, bald dunkel, bald matt mit Sonnenschein, das Dartmoor erhebt zu ihren Grenzhöhen von Yes Topr und High Willhayes. Westlich steigt das Land wieder an und die letzten Feuer des Herbstes flackern über einem Wald.’, (Phillpotts, 1930, S. 65-67).

Die Burg liegt am südwestlichen Rand der Stadt Okehampton, wenn man es so einatmet, kommt die Festung gerade noch innerhalb der Grenzen des Dartmoor Nationalparks. Der erste dokumentierte Beweis für die Besiedlung von Okehampton ist in Birch’s . aufgeführt Cartularium Saxonicum als Wesen Okmond-Melodie um 970 n. Chr. Die Siedlung erscheint dann im Domesday Book von 1086 als Ochementon. Die Bedeutung des Ortsnamens ist ‘the tun (oder Gehöft/Dorf) am Fluss Okement’, (Gover et al. 1992, S. 202). Mit dem Domesday-Eintrag gibt es tatsächliche Beweise für eine Burg in Okehampton, wie aus dem folgenden Auszug ersichtlich ist:

Baldwin hält Okehampton selbst vom König (sein) Schloss ist dort gelegen. Osferth besaß dieses Gut vor 1066. Es zahlte Steuern für 3 Jungfrauen Land und 1 Furlong. Land für 30 Pflüge. In Lordschaft 4 pflüge 18 Sklaven 1 Jungfrau und 1 Furlong.

21 Dorfbewohner und 11 Kleinbauern mit 20 Pflügen und 2 Jungfrauen, 6 Schweinemänner.

Eine Mühle, die 6s 8d Wiese zahlt, 5 Hektar Weide 1 Meile breit. 4 Bürger einen Markt, der 4s zahlt. 1 Kolben 52 Rinder 80 Schafe.

Wert der ganzen £10, als er sie erwarb £8, (Morris, 1985, S.105d).

Daraus lässt sich vermuten, dass das Herrenhaus von Okehampton vor der normannischen Eroberung Osferth dem Sachsen gehörte und dass das Herrenhaus Baldwin seit dem ‘Erwerb’ einige Verbesserungen vorgenommen hat, daher stieg die Steuer von £8 auf £10. Wie bereits erwähnt, hielt Baldwin the Sheriff einen Markt, der 4er pro Jahr einbrachte. Dies war die Zeit, in der die erste Burg in Okehampton entstand, obwohl bei den archäologischen Ausgrabungen in den 1970er Jahren Stücke von möglicherweise römischen Kacheln gefunden wurden. Die Burg thront auf einem ost-westlichen Landsporn, der sich westlich des West Okement River auf einer Höhe von 560 Fuß befindet. Die topografische Lage von Okehampton Castle ist aus den Luft- und 3D-Fotos unten ersichtlich

Es wurde vermutet, dass Okehampton wie andere normannische Burgen an einer Schnittstelle zwischen verschiedenen Landschaftstypen lag. In diesem Fall gibt es die Hochlandzone des Moores, die für Weide- und Jagdaktivitäten genutzt wurde, und die unteren Anbauflächen der Moorränder (Creighton, 2002, S.510).

Also, was ist mit der Burg? Oben sind ein paar Beschreibungen von dem, was frühere Besucher gesehen haben, und hier ist jetzt eine Beschreibung von dem, was ich bei meinem Besuch im April 2008 gesehen habe. Wenn ich eine Site besuche, lese ich immer gerne zuerst darüber, damit Sie nichts verpassen , vor allem die weniger offensichtlichen Merkmale. Das Problem bei den meisten Schlössern ist, dass sie meist mehrere Bauphasen durchlaufen haben und daher ein unübersichtliches Durcheinander von Wänden und Räumen darstellen. Okehampton Castle schien ziemlich einfach zu sein, mit nur vier Entwicklungsphasen, die einen logischen Plan ergaben.

Es war ein kalter, frischer Morgen, als ich anrief, was mit den Osterferien zusammenfiel, was bedeutete, dass es ziemlich voll war. Am Kiosk ist ein ausgezeichneter Reiseführer erhältlich, der Sie gegen den Uhrzeigersinn durch die verschiedenen Räume der Burganlage führt. Aber, um etwas peinlich zu sein, beginne ich gerne mit dem ältesten Teil und gehe dann in der Zeit vorwärts, was in diesem Fall bedeutete, direkt zum Bergfried am anderen Ende der Stätte zu gehen. Wenn Sie durch die Burg hinaufgehen, werden Sie mit einer der berühmtesten Ikonen von Dartmoor konfrontiert, dem riesigen Hügel oder der Motte mit den Ruinen, die auf der Spitze thront. Es erstaunt mich, wie der prekär schwankende Stapel der Burgmauer es schafft, aufrecht zu bleiben, besonders wenn man bedenkt, dass er heftige Moorstürme aushalten muss. Wenn Sie nach ‘Okehampton Castle’ suchen, werden Sie feststellen, dass mehr als die Hälfte von ihnen Motte and Keep sind und das Foto unten ist keine Ausnahme.

Beim Betrachten der Motte und der Festung ist es wichtig, das gesamte Mauerwerk zu ignorieren, das an der Basis liegt, dies war eine spätere Phase der Entwicklung der Burg. Stellen Sie sich, nachdem Sie das ausgelöscht haben, zwei Dinge vor: Was müssen die Einwohner von Okehampton gedacht haben, als das Bauwerk zum ersten Mal in ihrer lokalen Landschaft auftauchte? Und zweitens, wie muss es gewesen sein, auf diesem riesigen Hügel auf und ab stapfen zu müssen, besonders mit Wassereimern? Heute erreicht man den Gipfel über einen ziemlich sanften, sich schlängelnden Weg, aber selbst dieser lässt beim Erreichen des Gipfels keine Zigarette mehr übrig. Die Motte wurde irgendwann gegen Ende des 11. Jahrhunderts gebaut, Higham (1999, S.21) schlägt vor, dass sie einige Zeit nach dem Frühjahr 1068 gebaut wurde Graben um die West- und Ostseite. Schätzungen gehen davon aus, dass der Graben auf der Westseite etwa 13 Fuß tief war, was von seiner Unterseite den Gipfel etwa 80 Fuß überragte. Endacott, (2003, S.9) meint, dass es ursprünglich eine Holzbrücke gegeben hätte, die den Graben überspannte und den Zugang zur Motte ermöglichte. Ausgrabungen haben ergeben, dass die Fundamente für den Bergfried zeitgleich mit der Fertigstellung der obersten Schichten der Motte gelegt wurden. Es wurde angenommen, dass der Bergfried von Okehampton in Übereinstimmung mit anderen normannischen Burgen aus drei Ebenen bestand, dem Erdgeschoss, dem ersten Stock und der Dachbrüstung. Da im Erdgeschoss kein Eingang nachweisbar ist, wäre der Zugang jedoch über eine Holztreppe ins Erdgeschoss erfolgt. Es scheint, dass nur an der Vorderseite das ursprüngliche Mauerwerk erhalten ist, der Rest ist das Ergebnis einer späteren Entwicklung des 14. Jahrhunderts. Aus dem Inneren des Bergfrieds kann man den Kampf erkennen, dass die Überreste des Treppenhauses und des Turms aufrecht bleiben müssen. Außer dem Eingang zur Garderobe in der Südwestwand gibt es in diesem Raum nichts Spektakuläres. Aus irgendeinem seltsamen Grund sind die Leute immer von der Garderobe fasziniert, das ist für Kinder verständlich, aber für Erwachsene? Ursprünglich war die Garderobe ein kleiner Raum, in dem wertvolle Kleidung und Besitztümer sicher aufbewahrt wurden, daher der Name Gärtner (bewachen) Kleid (Kleider). Erst in späteren Jahren repräsentierte der Name eine Art modernes Bad mit Toilette. Für diejenigen, die von solchen Dingen fasziniert sind, wird in Okehampton angenommen, dass die Möglichkeit besteht, dass der Abortschacht seinen Inhalt auf die Motte verschüttet hat. Dies bedeutete, dass eine arme Seele die angenehme Aufgabe hatte, sowohl sie als auch ihren Landeplatz darunter zu reinigen. Diese Personen wurden übrigens als „Gongfarmer“ bekannt. Erstaunlich, wie wenig sich ändert, wie viele von uns immer noch unser Chef-Chaos aufräumen? Jetzt habe ich diese Faszination für Maurermarken und studiere so oft intensiv die Wände antiker Gebäude und dabei in Okehampton wurde schnell klar, dass viele der Wände mit alten Graffiti bedeckt sind, auch hier ändert sich nichts. Direkt hinter der Tür des Bergfrieds befinden sich zahlreiche Beispiele von ‘killroys’ aus dem 19. Jahrhundert, wie auf dem Foto zu sehen ist.

Dies ist wahrscheinlich ein guter Zeitpunkt, um meinen Versuch einer virtuellen Tour durch Okehampton Castle zu erklären. Leider kann ich nicht herausfinden, wie ich Videoclips auf diese Website bekomme, ohne dass der Download einen Monat dauert. Wenn Sie also auf jedes Quadrat im untenstehenden Plan klicken, gelangen Sie auf eine neue Seite mit Fotos der relevanten Merkmale in jedem Raum.

Klicken Sie oben auf die grünen Quadrate, um Fotos von jedem Zimmer und seiner Ausstattung zu sehen.

The timeline tour now goes slightly astray because to save having to go back down to the precinct and then come back up to the motte it is easier to jump forward a few hundred years and step from the original keep through to the 14th century extension. It is thought that the ground floor was used either as a storeroom or as servant’s quarters. Either way it was to be basic, here on the ground floor the windows are small, plain and would have been unglazed. This could have been for two reasons, either the small windows meant it would be harder to attack or it was deemed unnecessary to waste money on a storeroom or servants quarters. The end wall clearly demonstrates that people of note were living on the second floor, here the windows are much larger, more decorative and would have been glazed. The room would have been much brighter due to the large windows and would have afforded views over the deer park and the fireplace would have made it much warmer than below. In the far left-hand corner is a garderobe which again would have added to the luxury of the room. It is impossible to say whether this layout would have been reflected in another room on this level or if the rooms were simply separated by a wooden screen. Endacott (p.14) suggests this upper floor would have provided accommodation for the lord and his wife or lodgings for any influential guests.

Several times I have banged on about how much this castle was a statement of power and was intended to dominate the local landscape. Every time someone in Okehampton looked up they would have seen this huge, man-made foreign intrusion on the skyline which served to remind them that they were no under Norman control. As can be seen from the photograph below, even today it commands a good view of the modern town.

There can be no question that this Norman motte and keep would have caused any attacker considerable problems insomuch as a direct assault would have been difficult. However, if they were of a patient persuasion and were prepared to lay siege to the castle then those inside would have had some serious problems. There would have been no water supply, no kitchens and if they were relying on divine inspiration, no chapel to boost their spiritual courage. This suggests two things, firstly there possibly was no imminent threat of attack and so such defences weren’t needed, and/or the castle was only intended as an administrative centre. But, here is a thought, in the very same Domesday Book that records the castle there is an entry for Lydford which lies about 7 miles away to the south west. This states: ‘40 houses destroyed since the King has come to England‘, (Morris, p.100b). When this type of entry appears in Domesday it usually means one thing, ‘the peasants were revolting’ and to teach them a lesson their houses were laid to waste. So if this event happened, ‘since the King has come to England‘ that means it occurred between 1066 and 1086 when the Domesday Book was written. Okehampton castle motte was built around 1068 which means around the same time the Saxons were rebelling 7 miles down the road at Lydford. In which case why was there no provision for a prolonged attack by angry locals?

Now its time to go back along the timeline and off the motte to the 12th century when the second phase of development took place. Sadly, there is no visible evidence of this stage as it is all under later buildings and their surfaces. But it would have encompassed the building of a great hall and its associated kitchens and service rooms.

So after that pointless detour we can now move on to the main expansion phase of the 14th century. Personally, I love looking at Great Halls, this was the social centre of a medieval castle and they always conjure up images of feasts, huge dogs, roaring log fires and endless jugs of alcohol. In all reality the Great Hall served not only as a place for entertaining but as the business centre of the castle. At Okehampton there is still evidence of a low wall which runs level with the north wall, this would have formed the dais upon which stood the high table where the lord and his guests would have sat to dine. It was also used to seat the lord when the various manorial courts were being held. English Heritage have kindly provided a bench in the Great Hall where one can sit and ponder the past events. You can nearly smell the roast venison as the serfs bring huge haunches to the top table, listen carefully and you can hear the soft lute and pipe music playing in the corner and the growling of the hunting dogs fighting over a bone. All around the walls are plastered a creamy white with tapestries draped around them, a mixture of hunting trophies also hang on the walls. The dusty earthen floor is carpeted with rushes and sprigs of herbs which when trodden on release a heady aroma into the air which is already thick with wood smoke and candle fat. The huge log fire in the centre of the hall spits and sparks with the flames casting dancing shadows onto the walls. The talk on the top table is of the days hunting and the brave stand that huge stag put up…

Back to reality, just infront of the remains of the dais is a hearth which is thought to have been used to melt lead in when the castle was abandoned in the 1500s. However just by this are the remains of the original open hearth that would have provided both heat and light to the hall. At the opposite end of the hall would have been a wooden screen which separated the hall from the service room or buttery and the kitchens. Entry to the hall would have been via a very ornate doorway in the south eastern wall which led in from the bailey .

The buttery was where all the food and drink was prepared and was the domain of the castle steward who over saw all the preparation and food presentation. It was from here that the servants would carry out the sumptuous dishes to lay before their master’s. Interestingly, as Endacott notes (p.7) there would have been no buxom serving wenches to wait on the tables as it was only males who were allowed to wait on the tables – bang goes another salacious image.

Above the buttery was the solar , this was the private retiring room of the lord and lady, again there would have been a display of opulence here. There would have been a fireplace, garderobe and three large and ornate windows which again for the local area in the 14th century was very plush.

A covered passage would have led from the buttery into the kitchens, in the first kitchen are the remains of a hearth and ash pit along with a drain that was cut through the wall. The second kitchen is slightly larger and contains the remains of two large ovens which had been built into the bottom of the motte. These were built in the next phase of development as was the larder which lies between here and the motte steps.

Having looked at how the medieval body was fed it might be as well to see how the medieval soul was sustained and so just opposite the kitchens are the remains of the chapel. The ravages of time and the Dartmoor weather have been a little kinder here because the full extent of the eastern wall still stands. Originally the chapel would have had a sloping lead roof which was crenellated below this the porch allowed entry from the bailey. Inside the chapel would have been decorated with wall paintings, some remains of which can be seen in the right-hand corner of the southern window. Endacott (p.18) suggests that an ornate, wooden screen would have separated the chancel at the eastern end with the altar supported on protruding corbels. The piscina is very well preserved and is embedded in the southern wall, the water from this would have drained through the wall. On the right of the piscina is a time-worn example of Napoleonic graffiti which was the work of a French naval officer called Giles A. Vincent. He was a surgeon on the French Man o’ War called ‘Rejoirie’ which was captured on the 10th of June 1809. Having been taken prisoner, Vincent was brought to Okehampton where he was given parole , a fact he later recorded on this stone. His inscription reads: ‘HIC V… FUIT CAPTIVUS BELLI’ which Endacott (p.19) translates as, ‘here Vincent was a prisoner of war‘. Next to the chapel was the priest’s lodgings which could be entered either from the chapel or from the western lodgings. During medieval times the priest would have been one of the more important members of the lord’s household and so literally lived on the job to ensure he was always on hand. These quarters would have been small but well appointed with a downstairs garderobe and an upstairs fireplace and window. At the eastern end of the lodgings is evidence of a small, outward protrusion which Endacott tentatively suggests may have contained the castle’s bells which now dictates a slight diversion. Some time between 1291 and 1328 the widow of lord Hugh Courtenay, Lady Eleanor commissioned the founding of two bells. One was inscribed with the words: ‘We were both made to wake Eleanor for to catch game’ and the other: ‘But do by my advice think on Hugh’s soul and so was his name‘, (Endacott, p.29). Both inscriptions suggest that after her husband’s death she still enjoyed the ‘chase’ and that she was concerned for his soul presumably languishing in purgatory. One of these bells, and I am not sure which one, is now housed in the nearby Museum of Dartmoor Life .

Next to the chapel are the extensive eastern lodgings, these would have provided accommodation for guests and servants. Originally these rooms would have been on two levels with garderobes on each floor, it is thought that the servants would have lived on the less salubrious lower floor whilst there betters enjoyed the more luxurious top floor. Again it is noticeable the difference in the window sizes of each level, the lower ones being much smaller and plainer. Access to the upper floor would have been from outside via a flight of steps or by a gallery leading around the building from the great hall.

Of all these rooms it is those at the northern end that seemed to be the best equipped, again there are garderobes on each level but on the upper floor there is still a hand basin embedded into the wall. It is deemed that the lower floor was used as a storeroom of some kind.

On the back of the eastern lodgings was the gatehouse which the led out into the barbican passage and to the barbican itself. This was the business end of the defences for this structure would have been the first place any attackers would fall upon. Evidence of a garderobe suggests that there was an upper chamber above the gate that would have been the guardroom Should anyone ever breach the barbican they would have then been faced with a long passage which led up to the gatehouse. There are traces of a platform running along the inside of the north wall which may have been used as a fighting platform or as a mounting block for horsemen, (Young, 1931, p.35). It is from here that they would have been met with volleys of arrows and other projectiles. Although now filled in, it is presumed that infront pf the gatehouse would have been a deep hole over which laid the drawbridge. The winching gear for this was housed in the upper chamber which also served as accommodation for the castle gatekeeper or constable. There is a small two storied guardroom on the side of the gatehouse which would have served either as the castle stewards office or as extra accommodation. There is also an entrance to the great hall which would have been used by those of a lesser standing when attending manorial courts.

The only other feature left for this time period is the postern gate which can be found in the far end of the south eastern wall. This small entrance would have been used to allow small parties of soldiers out of the castle in times of siege, it would also have served as an emergency exit or to discreetly allow visitors to come and go.

The next phase of development occurred in the late 1400s, early 1500s and comprised in the building of another series of buildings called the western lodgings. As with previous guest quarters these were well appointed with decorative windows, garderobes and wide ranging views. These quarters actually lie upon the in-filled motte ditch and have in sections been cut into the base of the mound.

When looking at today’s surviving ruins there is one thing that is missing, there is no well. Admitted there is a small stream running down the western side and the river Okement flowing to the east. Drawing water from either sources would have proved an arduous task for some poor individual especially when having to slog back up to the castle. But, this problem was overcome by what seems to be a very local method. Creighton (p.54) explains how: ‘rather less frequently we have evidence that castles were supplied with cisterns fed by rainwater or natural groundwater seepage‘ and by this remark he was referring to Okehampton. A similar idea was used at nearby Lydford Castle whereby rainwater was collected from the roof and then piped into the building. Excavations have revealed that at Okehampton there was a building containing a 7ft deep cistern which collected rainwater running off the motte. This was located at the foot of the motte and just to the south of the kitchens. A lead pipe then carried the water off in the direction of the eastern lodgings which is why nobody ever drank it and opted for the ‘healthy’ option of beer and wine, something I do to this very day.

This virtually completes the various phases of construction at Okehampton castle because by 1538 the castle was abandoned and left to decay. Local builders soon took advantage of this situation and began robbing the stonework and as mentioned above the lead from the roofs and windows was melted down. A lease of 1642 documents that parts of the castle were used as a bakehouse and it is thought that the ovens for this are those located to the south of the western lodgings. It is interesting to see that the floor of the oven it made from an old millstone which may indicate that it came from a nearby mill, which brings us nicely to the associated ancillary buildings of the castle.

The Domesday entry clearly states that in 1086 there was a mill at Okehampton, Young (p.35) suggests that the small brook which runs to the north west of the castle: ‘provided fish ponds and worked the castle mill which was just outside the barbican’. Endacott (p.22) and Higham (p.19) both agree that there is a strong chance of the fishponds being in existence during the 16th century but give little mention of the mill. There is however an engraving dating from 1734 that unmistakeably depicts a mill with two waterwheels as can be seen in the bottom right-hand corner of the illustration below.

Also associated with the castle is the adjacent deer park, in fact it is probably one of the main reasons for the castle’s existence. Having just looked at the scroll-bar it will be necessary to do a separate web page for this topic as the park, the Deserted Medieval Village and its feature are a lengthy topic.

I also do not intend to explore the history of the castle, there is nothing more boring than listing lines of people, who they married and when they died. If you would like to read more about the families who lived at Okehampton castle then Endicott’s book gives a full history. Suffice it to say, the first owner of the castle was, as mentioned above, Baldwin de Brionne, Sheriff of Devon. None of his sons had any male heirs and so the estate went to his daughter, Adeliza. Eventually Okehampton ended up in the ownership of Hawisia who in 1173 married one Reginald Courtenay. The Courtenay family then through a long line of heirs held the ownership until 1539 when Henry Courtenay got on the wrong side of King Henry VIII who had him beheaded on the 9th of January 1539. Following this event the Courtenay estates were confiscated, the deer park abandoned and the castle left to decay. In the early 1900s a local man called Sydney Simmons acquired the castle site and carried out some repair and restoration work. In 1917 he gave the castle to the Okehampton Castle Trust who held ownership until 1967 was it was placed under the guardianship of the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works. Then followed a huge consolidation project of the ruins which culminated in an archaeological investigation led by Dr. Higham in the 1970s. In 1984 the property came under the auspices of English Heritage where to this day it remains.

But what was Okehampton castle used for? One of my old Exeter University tutors considers that:

While popular perceptions of medieval castles are often dominated by their presumed military significance and role in contemporary warfare, the defining feature of the medieval castle was, rather, that it served a number of diverse needs. All castles were built, at least to some degree, to serve as high status private residences and estate centres as well as military strongpoints. As judicial centres and seats of local government, castles were commonly venues of manorial or honorial courts, while many royal strongholds were also armouries, jails and treasuries… The impact of castles on the landscape has been profound. As evocative symbols of lordship, they re-shaped the landscape in the minds of contemporaries.’ (Creighton, 2002, p.1).

This certainly would have been so for Okehampton, during the Norman period the inhabitants of the town would have clearly been reminded of whom they served every time they cast and eye to the south west. Here they would have seen the formidable keep perched high upon its pedestal as an icon of rulership and opulence. Undoubtedly during this period the stronghold was a defensive site but also it would have served as the administrative centre for the estate. The Domesday Book records the fact that there was a market which in all likelihood would have been held just outside the castle walls. During this period of history there was great rivalry between towns to establish the most prosperous market quite simply because the busier the trade the more profit the lord made. In the case of Okehampton the challenge came from nearby Lydford who were granted permission to hold a market in 1195 which would have been in direct competition. However, population figures of the time show that Okehampton managed to stave off this competition which eventually lead to a dramatic decline in Lydford’s prosperity.

By 1221 ‘Robert de Curtenay‘ had been granted permission by Henry III to hold a fair as well, both would have provided a good income for the manor. As mentioned above, we know there was a mill which once again would have turned a fair penny for the lord’s coffers as all those living within the manor were compelled to have their corn ground here. So, the picture slowly emerges that as with any estate it was a commercial venture that would have been expected to return a healthy profit from its assets.

In 1298 the Courtenay family created a large deer park which was located to the east of the castle and as a result of this the castle’s role change to that of a luxurious hunting lodge. Evidence of this can be clearly seen from the large development project which saw the building of many of the castle’s features at this time. The castle was to be a place where the Courtenay could enjoy their hunting and entertain the numerous guests who would have been invited for the ‘chase’. This would also give the owners a chance to display their wealth and prosperity through the well appointed apartments of the castle. Once again the inhabitants of Okehampton would have seen another change in their local landscape because the establishment of this deer park meant that many of the farmsteads were cleared away. Creighton (p.191) explains further:

‘Imparkment could also result in the disruption and even displacement of settlement. At Okehampton the earls of Devon cleared the areas south of their castle of farmsteads and removed the community’s rights to other agricultural resources in order to create a vast and conspicuous greenbelt area around their seat of lordship in the thirteenth century‘.

In the end this deer park covered 1,700 acres and once established must have dramatically altered the landscape and people’s perception of it. Which nicely leads on to peoples perception of the castle in more recent times. As described above, from the 16th century the castle fell into decline until eventually it became a ruin. From about the late 1700s it could be argued that Okehampton castle’s role saw something of a resurgence insomuch as it took on a perceived ‘romantic’ perspective. It was at this time that wealthy people went in search of the picturesque which was a phenomenon driven by artists, writers and poets. Suddenly the ruined castle was seen lying in a dramatic and picturesque landscape and visitors came in search of its rugged beauty, as is evident from the wealth of datable graffiti that can be seen adorning the walls today. Below is a small selection of paintings and etchings drawn by artists of this period. It is interesting to see just how much artistic license some of the artists availed themselves of. In particular look at the work shown in image number 4, there you will see a huge river with boats on it which does beg the question, did the artist ever visit the castle?


A tour of Okehampton Castle, Devon

(The keep and motte)

Okehampton has the distinction of being the largest castle in Devon and there is plenty to explore onsite. Before proceeding on our tour, I will begin with a brief overview of its history.

(The castle as viewed from the road)

Okehampton was founded in the late eleventh century after the Norman Conquest by Baldwin de Brionne as a motte and bailey castle with a stone keep. It later passed into the ownership of the Courtenay earls of Devon, with Hugh Courtenay responsible for rebuilding much of the castle in the early fourteenth century. After the execution of Edward Courtenay for treason by Henry VIII in 1539, Okehampton gradually fell into decay and became a picturesque ruin.

(Side view of the Great Hall as viewed from the north-west)

The castle is entered through a barbican, which leads via a passageway up to the Gatehouse.

(The barbican as viewed from the east) (The barbican as viewed from the west, with ticket office behind) (From the passageway looking westwards towards the gatehouse and bailey) (External view of the Gatehouse)

This leads to the bailey, with the Great Hall, Buttery, and kitchens located on the west side, which primarily date from the fourteenth century.

(From the Great Hall facing towards the eastern lodgings) (The Great Hall as viewed from the Chapel) (From the Great Hall facing the Buttery) (The kitchens) (Ovens built into the base of the Motte)

Whereas the other side of the bailey contains the Eastern Lodgings, Chapel, Priest’s Lodging, and Western Lodgings.

(The Eastern Lodgings as viewed from the Gatehouse) (The Eastern Lodgings as viewed from the ground floor) (The Chapel and Priest’s Lodging as viewed from the south) (The Western Lodgings, Priest’s Lodging and Chapel as viewed from steps to the Motte)

The Motte is the most prominent feature of the castle, which is some 25 metres tall, with the eleventh century keep expanded in size in the fourteenth century.

(The Motte and Keep as viewed from the Gatehouse) (The Motte and Keep as viewed from outside the castle to the west) (The internal of the Keep as viewed from the south-east) (The fourteenth century part of the Keep looking westwards)

Okehampton was once adjoined by a huge deer park some 1,700 acres in size, and there are some nice walks around the castle that can be explored.

(The wood to the south of the castle)

This concludes my tour of Okehampton Castle, if you have any feedback or suggestions for future tours then feel free to leave a comment!

(The north face of the curtain wall with the Motte to the right)

Visiting information

The site is managed by English Heritage and there is an entrance fee.

Further reading

Alan Endacott, Okehampton Castle (London: English Heritage, 2005)


Okehampton Castle - History

  • Entdecken
    • Neueste Photos
    • Im Trend
    • Veranstaltungen
    • Die Commons
    • Flickr-Galerien
    • Weltkarte
    • Kamerafinder
    • Flickr-Blog
    • Drucke und Wandkunst
    • Fotobücher
    Tags Okehampton
    Related groups — Okehampton
    View allAll Photos Tagged Okehampton

    The view on approaching the ruins of Okehampton Castle.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Some of the nice views across to the high tors of north-west Dartmoor on our walk near Okehampton last Sunday. Large parts of this part of Dartmoor are used for military training and parts of the military camp of Okehampton can be seen on the right edge of my photo.

    Aircraft Type - Serial - (c/n) . . Bell Boeing MV-22B Osprey - 168666 - (D0322)

    Owner/Operator . . USMC

    Location & Date . . Okehampton Camp Devon England UK - 12th April 2021

    To see hundreds more photographs from the 1980’s, through to today, please go to my main website:

    It was announced this morning - Friday 19 March 2021 - that Okehampton would finally be connected to the national rail network, with a daily service to Exeter from December 2021. More detail here: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56450227

    Rewind 20 years and Cheshire Railtours 'The Dartmoor Prince' stands at Okehampton on 26 May 2001 hauled by 47778 'Irresistable', before continuing on to Meldon Quarry. Running as 1Z80 06:55 London Victoria - Meldon Quarry the tour ran via Clapham Junction to Wimbledon via Haydons Road, making this a rare section of line for Class 47 haulage, then continuing down the West of England route via Salisbury, Yeovil Junction and Exeter St Davids, then onwards via Crediton. There was always something special about the original batch of Western Region named Class 47's, and the former D1666 / 47081 / 47606 'Odin' was withdrawn on the 6th March 2004, with final disposal two years later on the 30th March 2006 at EMR Kingsbury.

    Dutch-liveried 37258 forges through the rain at the disused Okehampton station with a short Meldon Quarry to Exeter Riverside ballast train on Thursday 28th January 1993.

    © Gordon Edgar - All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without my explicit permission

    Back to our point of origin now.

    Services to Okehampton began on 3rd October 1871 and it grew into an important junction station. The station was redeveloped into its present format during the early 1930s. The engine shed, turntable and water tower were located at the east end of the station, which is today part of the car park. The original 1871 signal box on Platform 2 was replaced with a brick-built structure on Platform 3 in 1935 which remains to this day.

    Beyond Okehampton towards Meldon Viaduct is the site of the former military sidings, which was the nearest point on the railway to the large military camp on the moor above. Troops, munitions, horses and ordnance were loaded and unloaded here in vast numbers. From 1960 to 1964 a car carrier service operated on Saturdays from Surbiton (in southwest London), and cars were loaded and unloaded at the military sidings.

    The station fell into disuse after the withdrawal of passenger services on 5th June 1972. However, following significant refurbishment Okehampton station officially reopened on 24th May 1997. Today Okehampton station serves as the headquarters of the Dartmoor Railway and the former goods shed is now a Youth Hostel.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon. With their new wealth, they redeveloped the castle as a luxurious hunting lodge, building a new deer park that stretched out south from the castle, and constructing fashionable lodgings that exploited the views across the landscape. The de Courtenays prospered and the castle was further expanded to accommodate their growing household.

    The de Courtenays were heavily involved in the 15th century Wars of the Roses and Okehampton Castle was frequently confiscated. By the early 16h century the castle was still in good condition, but after Henry Courtenay was executed by Henry VIII the property was abandoned and left to decay, while the park was rented out by the Crown. Parts of the castle were reused as a bakery in the 17th century, but by the 19th century it was completely ruined and became popular with Picturesque painters, including J. M. W. Turner. Renovation work began properly in the 20th century, first under private ownership and then, more extensively, after the castle was acquired by the state. In the 21st century it is controlled by English Heritage and operated as a tourist attraction.

    Aircraft Type - Serial - (c/n) . . Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion - 163060 - (65-547)

    Owner/Operator . . USMC

    Location & Date . . Okehampton Camp Devon England UK - 18th April 2021

    Dating from the 11th Century, as a 'romantic ruin', the castle has been much painted over the centuries twice by Turner.

    Afternoon sun in the East Okement valley near Okehampton.

    Okehampton to Exeter Central - Sunday May 24, 2014:

    Okehampton Station - First Great Western unit 153377 arrives from Exeter Central.

    For more photographs of the Dartmoor Railway please click here: www.jhluxton.com/Railways-and-Tramways/Heritage-Railways-.

    The Southern Railway's Dartmoor Mainline between Yeoford and Meldon following closure to passenger services in 1972 remained open for freight to Okehampton and Meldon Quarry. Eventually the line and quarry were sold to Aggregate Industries which leased the line first to Ealing Community Transport and later to Iowa Pacific Holdings. Heritage services were operated from the 1990s until 2019 along with a summer Sunday only service provided to Exeter Central by (First) Great Western Railway.

    Iowa Pacific entered insolvency early in 2020.

    In Spring 2021 the line was purchased by Network Rail with refurbishment having been going on since January with a review to reopening to full services by the end of the year as Okehampton once again rejoins the national rail network.

    Thus whilst the heritage operation may be over with the rolling stock being offered for sale the line will once again see daily passenger services and there is a prospect of freight from Meldon Quarry resuming again.


    Okehampton Castle - History

    The borough of Okehampton was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1623, and from 1640 Okehampton returned two members to parliament. The most notable amongst these is William Pitt the Elder who was Prime Minister of Great Britain from 1766 to 1768. With the passing of the 1832 Reform Act, Okehampton was disenfranchised, losing both its seats as it was deemed to be a 'rotten borough' having declined in size and importance since 1640. Many such boroughs were controlled by patronage or bribery: Pitt the Elder himself said "[Borough representation is] the rotten part of the constitution." Before the 1832 Act there was no complete electoral register, and boroughs typically had few eligible voters. After the electoral reform the franchise in boroughs was widened to include all owners and occupiers whose property was worth at least £10 annually. The effect of the Act in Devon was a reduction in the number of MPs by 4 to 22, the removal of those in the rotten boroughs being offset by the addition of two seats in the newly created borough of Devonport.


    The White Hart Hotel, dating back to the 16th Century, occupies a prominent position where Fore Street joins West Street, and the balcony was the place from which it is said that MPs used to address the citizenry. It was converted to a Wetherspoons in 2016.

    Okehampton Castle

    In about 1070 a stately motte-and-bailey castle was built at the side of the West Okement river about a mile south-west of the town by Baldwin de Brioniis whom William the Conquerer had created Earl of Devon it was extended, restored, and beautified by subsequent barons including Richard de Redvers, believed to be the 4th Earl of Devon who died in 1193, and successive generations of Courtenays.

    In the last years of its heyday, the castle was used as a base for hunting expeditions in the surrounding parkland. This is well described in 'Okehampton Castle, Devon', ©English Heritage:

    It served as the seat of the great baronial power till its forfeiture in the time of Henry VIII in 1539, when the then incumbent Henry Courtenay, Marquis of Exeter was executed for treason. There was much residual mistrust at the time between the Yorkists and the Tudors, ultimate victors of the War of the Roses, and according to Tudor Place:

    Most of the castle was then dismantled and it was never again inhabited. Here is an evocative portrait of the ruins by John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72), reproduced from Vision of Britain:

    The historical image shown is of "Okehampton Castle, on the River Okement" engraved by Charles Turner in 1825 after JMW Turner's famous watercolour painted a year earlier. Charles was a close friend of JMW Turner, many of whose paintings he engraved with great technical skill and artistry. The ruined castle's haunting presence is used as a backdrop to the contemporary scene showing the wood-cutters at work.

    Another famous painting of the castle is that by Richard Wilson (1714-1782). His 'View of Okehampton Castle' was painted after a visit to the town in 1771. It now hangs in Birmingham Art Gallery.


    Schau das Video: The Museum Of Dartmoor Life Okehampton Devon. (Kann 2022).