Nachrichten

Clinton, De Witt - Geschichte

Clinton, De Witt - Geschichte

Politiker

(1769-1828)

De Witt Clinton wurde 1788 als Anwalt des Staates New York zugelassen. Nachdem er 1797 in die gesetzgebende Körperschaft des Staates gewählt worden war und von 1798 bis 1802 im Senat des Staates tätig war; 1802 wurde er US-Senator. Clinton im selben Jahr, nachdem ihn sein Onkel zum Bürgermeister von New York ernannt hatte. Er kandidierte 1812 für das Präsidentenamt, wurde aber von James Madison besiegt. Clinton blieb bis 1815 Bürgermeister von New York. Er förderte die Idee des Baus des Erie-Kanals und wurde 1817 zum Gouverneur des Staates New York gewählt. Während seiner Amtszeit unterstützte er Emma Willards Vorschläge zur Gleichstellung von Frauen im Bildungsbereich, obwohl diese Vorschläge abgelehnt wurden durch den Landesgesetzgeber. Clinton lud sie ein, ihre Schule in Connecticut nach New York zu verlegen, was sie 1821 tat. Er erfüllte seine Ambitionen für den Erie-Kanal, indem er dessen Fertigstellung beaufsichtigte und ihn 1825 eröffnete. Clinton starb 1828 im Amt


DeWitt County, ILGenWeb-Projekt

Wenn Sie über eine Website hierher gekommen sind, die Ihnen Informationen in Rechnung gestellt hat, wenden Sie sich bitte an die Person oder Website, die Sie hierher geleitet hat. Die auf dieser Site enthaltenen Informationen sind KOSTENLOS und Ihnen sollten keine hierin enthaltenen Informationen in Rechnung gestellt werden. Das USGenWeb-Projekt, das ILGenWeb-Projekt und das DeWittGenWeb sind nicht für Gebühren verantwortlich.

Das ILGenWeb-Projekt von DeWitt County bedankt sich ganz besonders bei unseren ehemaligen County-Koordinatoren und Freiwilligen. An Earliene Kaelin, Sheryl Byrd und Judy Simpson für all die Zeit und Mühe, die sie in die Website gesteckt haben, sowohl das Schreiben von Inhalten, das Korrekturlesen, das Korrigieren von Tippfehlern als auch das Formatieren und Neuformatieren der Webseiten. An unsere Freiwilligen, die Biografien geschrieben, Volkszählungen transkribiert, Landaufzeichnungen kopiert, Bilder eingereicht und ihre eigenen persönlichen Erinnerungsstücke geteilt haben. Ohne ihre Hilfe wäre diese Seite nicht das, was sie heute ist. Unser Dank gilt allen unseren freiwilligen Helfern und Mitwirkenden in Vergangenheit, Gegenwart und Zukunft. Ohne Sie könnten wir es nicht schaffen.


Clinton-Genealogie (in De Witt County, IL)

HINWEIS: Zusätzliche Datensätze, die für Clinton gelten, finden Sie auch auf den Seiten von De Witt County und Illinois.

Clinton-Geburtsregister

Aufzeichnungen zum Clinton-Friedhof

Memorial Park Cemetery Milliarden Gräber

Oak Park Cemetery Milliarden Gräber

Woodlawn Cemetery Milliarden Gräber

Clinton-Volkszählungsaufzeichnungen

US-Volkszählung, 1790-1940 Familiensuche

Aufzeichnungen der Clinton-Kirche

Clinton-Stadtverzeichnisse

Clinton-Todesregister

DeWitt County Coroner's Inquest Files Index (1924-1977) Illinois State Archive

Clinton-Geschichten und Genealogien

Geschichte von Clintonia Township US Gen Webarchiv

Clinton-Einwanderungsunterlagen

Clinton Land Records

Clinton-Kartenaufzeichnungen

Vogelperspektive Karte der Stadt Clinton, DeWitt County, Illinois 1869. Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map von Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, April 1887 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map von Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, Dezember 1892 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map von Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, Januar 1916 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map von Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, März 1898 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map von Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, Mai 1910 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map von Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, Oktober 1904 Library of Congress

Clinton Heiratsregister

Clinton-Zeitungen und Nachrufe

Zentrales Transkript 1856-1862 Newspapers.com

Clinton Daily Journal und Öffentlichkeit 1927-1963 Newspapers.com

Clinton Daily Public 1915-1926 Newspapers.com

Clinton Morning Journal 1921-1926 Newspapers.com

Clinton öffentlich 1862-1863 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public 1869-1901 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public and Central Transcript 1864-1869 Newspapers.com

Clinton Register 1882-1915 Newspapers.com

Clinton Halbwöchentliches Register 1870-1872 Newspapers.com

Clinton Tribune 1884-1884 Farmer City Public Library

Clinton Weekly Register 1872-1882 Newspapers.com

De Witt County Public und Central Transcript 1863-1864 Newspapers.com

DeWitt Courier 1854-1856 Newspapers.com

DeWitt Register 1868-1870 Newspapers.com

Streikbulletin 1913-1915 Newspapers.com

Strike Bulletin, 1913-1915 Illinois Digitale Zeitungssammlungen

Offline-Zeitungen für Clinton

Nach Angaben des US Newspaper Directory wurden die folgenden Zeitungen gedruckt, sodass möglicherweise Papier- oder Mikrofilmkopien verfügbar sind. Weitere Informationen zum Auffinden von Offline-Zeitungen finden Sie in unserem Artikel zum Auffinden von Offline-Zeitungen.

Zentrales Transkript. (Clinton, Abb. [Abb.]) 1856-1862

Clinton Daily Journal und Öffentlichkeit. (Clinton, Ill.) 1927-1979

Clinton Daily Journal. (Clinton, Abb.) 1980-Aktuell

Clinton Public und Central Transcript. (Clinton, Illinois) 1864-1869

Clinton-Öffentlichkeit. (Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois) 1862-1863

Clinton-Register. (Clinton, Illinois) 1882-1926

Clinton halbwöchentliches Register. (Clinton, Abb.) 1870-1872

Clinton Wöchentliches Register. (Clinton, Abb.) 1868-1882

De Witt County Public und Central Transcript. (Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois) 1863-1864

Verfassung von Dewitt County. (Clinton, Ill.) 1997-Aktuell

Dewitt-Registrierung. (Clinton, Ill.) 1868-1870

Clinton-Nachlassaufzeichnungen

Aufzeichnungen der Clinton-Schule

Jahrbuch der Clinton Community High School, 1930, 1931, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Internetarchiv

Clinton Community High School Yearbook, 1961, 1963 Internetarchiv

Clinton Community High School, Clintonia, 1910, 1962 Internetarchiv

Clinton High School Jahrbuch, 1910, 1912, 1917, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929 Internetarchiv

Clinton High School Jahrbuch, 1919 Internet Archive

Clinton Junior High School Jahrbuch, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Internetarchiv

Ergänzungen oder Korrekturen auf dieser Seite? Wir freuen uns über Ihre Vorschläge über unsere Kontaktseite


Clinton, De Witt - Geschichte

DeWitt District Library Local History Collection

Die DeWitt District Library verfügt derzeit nicht über einen Raum für lokale Geschichte. Die beliebtesten Artikel befinden sich in Regalen, während Archivmaterialien an verschiedenen Orten gelagert werden. Bitte vereinbaren Sie im Voraus, wenn Sie Archivmaterial einsehen möchten. Die Bibliothek ist dabei, einen Großteil ihres Bestands zu digitalisieren und auf dieser Seite verfügbar zu machen. Bitte schauen Sie noch einmal vorbei, da regelmäßig neues Material hinzugefügt wird.

  • Cook Family Letters - drei Generationen von Briefen von 1841 bis 1913

  • Dateline DeWitt - Artikel aus dem Shopping Guide von 1984-1990

  • DeWitt Businesses - Geschichte, Anzeigen und Artikel geschrieben und zusammengestellt von Ken Coin

  • DeWitt Churches - ein Sammelalbum mit Informationen aus unserem Archiv

  • DeWitt Directories and Maps - eine Sammlung von Broschüren und Karten

  • DeWitt History - beinhaltet Scans zur Geschichte von DeWitt

  • DeWitt History Newspaper Columns (1974-1976 & 1984-1997) von Faye Hanson und Ken Coin

  • DeWitt People - ein Sammelalbum mit Zeitungsausschnitten, zusammengestellt von Ken Coin

  • DeWitt Places - Informationen und Fotos aus Vergangenheit und Gegenwart

  • DeWitt Public Schools - ein Sammelalbum von Ken Coin

  • DeWitt Ox Roast - eine Sammlung von Programmen und Erinnerungsstücken

  • DeWitt Sesquicentennial - Programme aus der Feier von 1983

  • Faye Hanson Scrapbook - ihr Sammelalbum mit Zeitungsartikeln, die sie von 1964 bis 1974 schrieb

  • Gunnisonville Geschichte - 1939 von Alta Gunnison Pierce

  • Kenneth R. Coin Photograph Collection - Scans von Fotos und ausgewählten Archivalien

  • Soziale Organisationen - ein Sammelalbum mit Material aus unseren Archiven, zusammengestellt von Ken Coin

  • Scrapbook des Zweiten Weltkriegs - ein Sammelalbum mit Zeitungsausschnitten von Soldaten und Frauen aus Clinton County

Geburts-, Heirats-, Sterbe- und Friedhofsregister

  • Clinton County Heiratsaufzeichnungen Links zu Clinton County Kirchen- und Zeitungsaufzeichnungen

  • Michigan Heiratsindex für Clinton County Durchsuchbare Datenbank, zusammengestellt von Jack Dibean

  • Die DeWitt Area Cemetery Records Library hat Papierkopien zusammen mit den Messwerten von Mt. Rest und Oak Ridge Cemetery.

  • Clinton County Clerk Heirats- und Sterberegister für die Öffentlichkeit zugänglich. Eingeschränkter Zugriff auf Geburtsregister.

  • Clinton County Todesfälle durch die Clinton County Historical Society

  • Clinton County Geburten bis 1900 von der Clinton County Historical Society

  • Archiv der Clinton County Historical Society Ausgezeichnete Quelle für Aufzeichnungen und Informationen

  • Michigan Death Records (GENDIS) Online-Datenbank mit frühen Sterberegistern aus Michigan

  • Michiganology Sterbeurkunden, Sterberegister und vieles mehr aus den Archives of Michigan

  • Social Security Death Index Online-Datenbank der US-Todesfälle

  • FamilySearch Online-Datenbank der HLT-Kirche (Morman)

  • Michigan im Bürgerkrieg Enthält einen Link zu den Grabstätten von Veteranen

Biografie und Zeitung

  • DeWitt Zeitungskolumnen von Ken Coin

  • DeWitt People - ein Sammelalbum mit Zeitungsausschnitten, das in der Bibliothek erhältlich ist

  • Audioaufnahmen Interviews aus den 1970er bis 1980er Jahren

  • Familiengeschichten Index zu den in der Bibliothek verfügbaren Geschichten

  • Familiengruppenblätter über Michigan GenWeb

  • Zeitungen -- Die DeWitt District Library verfügt über Mikrofilme der folgenden lokalen Zeitungen:
    DeWitt-Bad Bewertung (1980-heute). Die Bibliothek hält auch einige Papierexemplare.
    DeWitt Weekly Advertiser (1950-1969 einige fehlende Ausgaben)
    Clinton-Republikaner (1863-1924)
    Clinton unabhängig (1866-1906)
    St. Johns Nachrichten (1892-1923)
    Clinton County Republican-News (1924-1950)
    Sonstiges Dewitt- und Clinton County-Probleme (Mikrofilm und Papier)

  • Sammelalbum zum Zweiten Weltkrieg

Volkszählung und Militäraufzeichnungen

  • Die DeWitt Library verfügt über Mikrofilme von Clinton County für 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910 und die spezielle Volkszählung des Bürgerkriegs von 1890

  • 1883 Bürgerkriegsrentner im Clinton County

  • Liste der Bürgerkriegsveteranen im Clinton County von 1894

  • Clinton County Spanisch-Amerikanische Kriegsveteranen

Kirchen- und Schulbücher

  • Die DeWitt District Library verfügt über die folgenden Kirchenbücher: DeWitt Congregational Church (1840er-1860er) DeWitt Baptist Church (Fotokopien, 1840er-1900) DeWitt Methodist Church (1860er-1960er)

  • Jahrbücher der Clinton County School

  • Sheridan Road School Jahrbücher

  • Die Dewitt District Library hat die folgenden Schulunterlagen: DeWitt Public Schools (meist 1900-1950) DeWitt Schools Yearbook Collection Allen School (1930er-1940er) Brown School (1860er-1950er) Simmons' School (einige frühe Aufsätze und Lehrerlisten)

  • Bauerles Genealogie-Seite

  • Gardner-Pierson-Genealogie

  • Fuchs, Fox, Blonigen, Droste, Fedewa, Feldpausch, Garding, Gross, Martin, Miller, Niehaus, Pung, Schaefer, Schneider, Simon, Spitzley und verwandte Familien

  • Swarthout-Familiengeschichte Die Swarthout-Familie von Ovid und Victor Twps.

  • Zu den Nachnamen der Familie Voisen-Stewart gehören Voisin, Yuncker, Pohl, Rademacher, Buechel, Schneider und Gross.

  • Heritage Quest Volltextbücher und mehr. KOSTENLOS mit DeWitt-Bibliotheksausweis oder Michigan-Führerschein

  • Genealogen des Clinton County Archives sind im Valley Farms Community Center

  • Clinton County GenWeb

  • Ingham County GenWeb

  • Ionia County GenWeb

  • Paine-Gillam-Scott Museum St. Johns, Michigan

  • Shiawassee County Gen Web

  • Geschichte des Landkreises Shiawassee von Steve Schmidt

  • Genealogische Gesellschaft von Mid-Michigan

  • Shiawassee County Genealogy Society enthält durchsuchbare Nachnamendatenbank

  • Badeschule Katastrophe -- Bauerle

  • Bath School Disaster -- Daggy Enthält den Volltext von "The Bath School Disaster" von Monty Ellsworth und mehr.

  • Details zu DeWitt (2001)

  • DeWitt Zeitungskolumnen von Ken Coin

  • Die Dewitt District Library verfügt über Kopien der lokalen Geschichte, einschließlich der Geschichte des DeWitt-Gebiets von Ken Coin

  • 1983 DeWitt Follies-Programm

  • DeWitt Sesquicentennial Pow Wow (1983)

  • DeWitt Sesquicentennial-Souvenirbuch (1983)

  • Geschichte von Elsie Michigan

  • Geschichte und biografisches Album der Grafschaften Shiawassee und Clinton (1880) Vollständiger Text online

  • Vergangenheit und Gegenwart von ClintonCounty, Michigan von Richter S. B. Daboll (1906) Vollständiger Text online

  • Porträt und biografisches Album der Grafschaften Clinton und Shiawassee (1891) Vollständiger Text online

  • Geschichte der Grafschaften Shiawassee und Clinton (1880) Vollständiger Text online

Lokale Unternehmen und Organisationen

  • Die DeWitt District Library verfügt über Geschäftsunterlagen für: Woodruff Brothers Bank

  • Die DeWitt District Library verfügt über Organisationsunterlagen für: George Anderson Camp - Grand Army of the Republic DeWitt Women's Club DeWitt Civic Club DeWitt Mother's Club DeWitt Memorial Association DeWitt PTA DeWitt Royal Neighbors/Modern Woodmen (Inhaber von Versicherungspolice)

  • Clinton County 1864 Karten von GenWeb

  • Atlas von Clinton County, Michigan (1873) online verfügbar

  • Standardatlas von Clinton County (1896) online verfügbar

  • Standardatlas von Clinton County (1915) online verfügbar

  • Dewitt Area Fotosammlung – Mit weit über 1.000 Vintage-Bildern ist die ständig wachsende Fotosammlung der Dewitt District Library vielleicht die beste Dokumentation dieser sich schnell verändernden Gemeinschaft. Indizierte Fotokopien fast aller unserer Fotografien stehen zur öffentlichen Ansicht zur Verfügung. Originalfotos und Negative werden in säurefreien Ordnern kodiert und in Archivboxen aufbewahrt. Diese stehen den Forschenden im Heimatraum auf Anfrage zur Verfügung.

  • Shafley-Negativsammlung - mehrere Hundert Negative, meist aus den 1930er und 1940er Jahren. Einige Drucke sind verfügbar und über 100 wurden gescannt und sind in digitaler Form verfügbar. Diejenigen, die nicht gescannt wurden, stammen hauptsächlich von der unmittelbaren Familie oder Fotos von außerhalb des DeWitt-Gebiets, einschließlich der Upper Peninsula und des Holland Tulip Festivals.

  • DeWitt-Bath Review Photo Collection - Eine umfangreiche Sammlung von Fotos, die von der Zeitung von Menschen, Unternehmen und Schul- und Gemeindeaktivitäten aufgenommen wurden. Die meisten stammen aus den 1990er-Anfang 2000er Jahren. Fast alle, die zu dieser Zeit in der Gegend von DeWitt lebten, sind in dieser Sammlung enthalten. Einige wurden gescannt und liegen in digitaler Form vor. Alle können auf Anfrage besichtigt werden.

  • DeWitt-Assessorenfotos -- Eine Sammlung von über 1000 Fotos aller Geschäfte und Wohnhäuser in der Stadt DeWitt von den späten 1970er bis frühen 1980er Jahren. Die meisten sind Schwarzweißfotos vom April 1978. Andere von Neubauten oder größeren Änderungen nach diesem Datum sind Farbe. Sortiert nach Straße und Hausnummer. Einige Hausnummern haben sich seit der Aufnahme geändert. Einige Gebäude fehlen in der Sammlung. Kann auf Anfrage besichtigt werden. Gescannte Kopien können auch per E-Mail an [email protected] angefordert werden.

  • Ralph L. Woodruff Scrapbook – Ein Sammelalbum mit Fotos und Erinnerungsstücken aus seiner Zeit in Michigan State von 1923 bis 1927. Alle Fotos wurden zusammen mit einigen ausgewählten Erinnerungsstücken gescannt. Fotos zeigen das Campusleben, Sportveranstaltungen, ROTC und Freunde.

Links zu genealogischen Websites

  • Ancestry.com

  • Cyndis Liste umfangreiche Liste von Websites

  • FamilySearch großartige Website mit vielen kostenlosen Daten

  • FamilyTreeMaker

  • Ahnentafeln der Library of Michigan Genealogy Collection, Familiengruppentafeln und mehr

  • Michigan State Archive

  • Michigan Family History Network

  • National Archives and Records Administration: Die Genealogie-Seite

  • Nationalarchive von Kanada

  • Nationale Genealogische Gesellschaft

  • Roots-Web

  • USGenWeb

Copyright 2010-2017 DeWitt District Library 13101 Schavey Rd DeWitt, Michigan 48820 517-669-3156
Site von TCP Image Company


Aktuelle Uhrzeit

In einer Zeit, in der weniger als 10 % der US-Bevölkerung in echten ländlichen Gebieten leben und in einer Zeit, in der viele dieser ländlichen Orte in unserem ganzen Land schrumpfen und verschwinden, fügt die Stadt DeWitt weiterhin Einwohner, Unternehmen und Beschäftigungsmöglichkeiten hinzu. Als Ergebnis der Zusammenarbeit der Stadt und des Schulbezirks, der harten Arbeit der gewählten Amtsträger und vor allem des Engagements und der Bemühungen der Einwohnerinnen und Einwohner und freiwilligen Helfern der Gemeinde ist es der Gemeinde gelungen, hervorragende Freizeit-, Kultur- und Bildungseinrichtungen zu bauen, die Schaffung neuer Arbeitsplätze und die Ansiedlung wichtiger Arbeitgeber in die Stadt erfolgreich zu fördern und einen Gemeinschaftsgeist zu schaffen, bei dem die Bewohner die Führung übernehmen, um die Verbesserung der Stadt zu fördern Gemeinschaft. Im Hintergrund bietet die Stadt mit einer gut ausgebildeten freiwilligen Feuerwehr, einer von CALEA akkreditierten Polizei, der beliebtesten Bibliothek des Landkreises, einer Parks & Recreation Department, die eine große Anzahl von Programmen für Kinder und Erwachsene anbietet und unterhält ein großes Netz von Parks und Wanderwegen und ein Team für öffentliche Arbeiten, das sehr stolz darauf ist, die öffentliche Infrastruktur zu erhalten. DeWitt bietet in der Tat eine saubere und sichere Community mit vielen Möglichkeiten für alle Altersgruppen.


De Witt Clinton

De Witt Clinton wurde am 2. März 1769 in Napanock, Ulster County, NY geboren. Er wurde an der Kingston Academy und dem King’s College (jetzt Columbia University) ausgebildet. Clinton studierte in der Anwaltskanzlei des renommierten Anwalts Samuel Jones, Sr. und wurde ein lebenslanger Freund mit einem Kommilitonen und späteren Kanzler von New York, Samuel Jones, Jr. Er wurde 1790 als Rechtsanwalt zugelassen und begann seine Praxis in New York City.

1787 und 1788 verfasste De Witt Clinton Zeitungsartikel gegen die Ratifizierung der Bundesverfassung und 1789 wurde Clinton zum Privatsekretär des New Yorker Gouverneurs, seines Onkels George Clinton, ernannt.

De Witt Clinton wurde 1797 in die New Yorker Versammlung und 1798 in den New Yorker Senat gewählt. Er wurde 1801 Mitglied des Rats nach Ernennung und wurde 1802 gewählt, um einen vakanten Sitz im US-Senat zu besetzen , setzte er sich für die 12. Verfassungsänderung ein. Im Jahr 1803 wurde Clinton Bürgermeister von New York City und amtierte bis 1815 mit Ausnahme von zwei jährlichen Amtszeiten. Im Gericht des Bürgermeisters leitete er zwei wegweisende Fälle, die New York City Cordwainers-Koffer (1810) und Menschen gegen Philips (1813). Cordwainers ist ein arbeitsrechtlicher Fall, in dem eine Gruppe von Schuhmachern, die höhere Löhne für Akkordarbeit forderten, der Common Law-Verschwörung für schuldig befunden wurde. Der Fall Philips ist der früheste bekannte amerikanische Fall zur Religionsfreiheit und zum Priester-Büßer-Beweisprivileg im amerikanischen Recht. Aus diesem Fall zog Richter William Van Ness in seinem Urteil in Menschen gegen Christian Smith.

Clinton war ein Mann von großem Intellekt und war sowohl in Belletristik als auch in der Wissenschaft versiert. Er veröffentlichte viele Artikel, die gut aufgenommen wurden, und er wurde durch die Mitgliedschaft in den gelehrten Institutionen in den Vereinigten Staaten, Großbritannien und mehreren Ländern Kontinentaleuropas geehrt. 1812 wurde er vom Queens College (heute Rutgers) mit der Ehrendoktorwürde geehrt und 1824 wurde er in ähnlicher Weise von den Treuhändern seiner Alma Mater, dem Columbia College, geehrt.

Clinton war von 1806 bis 1811 Senator des Staates New York und von 1811 bis 1813 Vizegouverneur. De Witt Clinton war ein starker Befürworter eines Staatskanals zwischen dem Hudson River und dem Eriesee und wurde 1810 einer der Kanalkommissare 1816 verabschiedete die New Yorker Legislative den Kanalplan von Clinton. Im folgenden Jahr wurde Clinton zum Gouverneur von New York gewählt und 1820 wiedergewählt. Er kandidierte 1822 wegen innerparteilicher Streitigkeiten nicht, wurde aber 1824 erneut zum Gouverneur gewählt, was ihm die Freude bereitete, bei der Feier von 1825 den Vorsitz zu führen die Eröffnung des Champlain- und des Erie-Kanals. 1826 erneut zum Gouverneur gewählt, starb er am 11. Februar 1828 im Amt.


Geschichte in DeWitt

DeWitt, Iowa, wurde 1836 von Siedlern aus den östlichen Bundesstaaten gegründet. DeWitt wurde nach DeWitt Clinton benannt, dem Gouverneur von New York von 1817 bis 1822. 1840 wurde in DeWitt ein zweites Gerichtsgebäude für Clinton County gebaut. DeWitt war von 1841 bis 1869 Kreisstadt. 1856 kam die Eisenbahn von Chicago, Iowa & Nebraska (heute bekannt als Union Pacific) nach DeWitt. In den 1870er Jahren war DeWitt eine blühende, sich selbst tragende Gemeinde mit zahlreichen Hotels, Märkten und einer Vielzahl von Geschäften und Dienstleistungen. DeWitt hatte einige erste für den Bundesstaat Iowa. Das erste Baseballteam, die Hawks, wurde 1860 in DeWitt gegründet. Der erste Spear Water Tower wurde 1957 gebaut. Andere interessante historische Fakten über DeWitt sind: Die erste Schule wurde 1867 gebaut und der Bau kostete 25.000 US-Dollar. Das Operahouse Theatre wurde 1878 gebaut. Die DeWitt Fire Department wurde 1879 gegründet. 1881 begann die County Fair als jährliche Veranstaltung. 1952 wurde das Krankenhaus in DeWitt eröffnet. DeWitts Vergangenheit hat dazu beigetragen, eine fortschrittliche Gemeinschaft zu bilden, die sich in die Zukunft bewegt.

Aktuelles Wachstum

In einer Zeit, in der weniger als 10 Prozent der US-Bevölkerung in echten ländlichen Gebieten leben und viele dieser ländlichen Orte in unserem ganzen Land schrumpfen und verschwinden, fügt DeWitt weiterhin Einwohner, Unternehmen und Beschäftigungsmöglichkeiten hinzu. Durch die Zusammenarbeit und die harte Arbeit der Stadt, des Schulbezirks, der gewählten Amtsträger und vor allem des Engagements und der Bemühungen von Einwohnern, Unternehmen und ehrenamtlichen Helfern der Gemeinde ist es gelungen, hervorragende Freizeit-, Kultur- und Bildungseinrichtungen zu errichten , erfolgreich die Schaffung neuer Arbeitsplätze und die Ansiedlung wichtiger Arbeitgeber in die Stadt fördern und einen Gemeinschaftsgeist schaffen, bei dem die Bewohner die Führung übernehmen, um die Verbesserung der Gemeinschaft zu fördern.

Im Hintergrund bietet die Stadt effizient erstklassige öffentliche Dienste mit einer gut ausgebildeten Freiwilligen Feuerwehr, einer CALEA-akkreditierten Polizeidienststelle, der meistgenutzten Bibliothek des Landkreises, einer Park- und Freizeitabteilung, die umfangreiche Jugend- und Erwachsenenprogramme anbietet und eine Crew für öffentliche Arbeiten, die sehr stolz darauf ist, die öffentliche Infrastruktur zu erhalten. DeWitt bietet eine saubere und sichere Community mit Möglichkeiten für alle Altersgruppen.


Geschichte des DeWitt Clinton House

Clinton Mansion um 1900

Der DeWitt Clinton House Historic Marker, der sich am Parklet-Dreieck an der Maspeth Avenue und der 56. Terrasse in Maspeth befindet, ist eine willkommene Anerkennung (und Ersatz des längst verschwundenen vorherigen Schilds an derselben Stelle) sowohl von DeWitt Clinton als auch von der Stelle des ehemaligen Haus mehrere hundert Meter nördlich, das er von 1807 bis zu seinem frühen Tod im Jahr 1828 besaß. Die Stätte und die vielen wichtigen Personen, die damit verbunden waren, sowie DeWitt Clinton als Einzelperson trugen erheblich zur Geschichte von Maspeth, Queens County, bei , New York City, New York State und den Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika, sowie internationale Auswirkungen in Bezug auf Geschichte, Wirtschaft, Handel, Entwicklung und Wachstum, neben anderen bedeutenden Trends.

Joseph Sackett Anwesen 1724-1755

Der Ort, auf den der Historic Marker verweist, war ein kleiner Hügel, der mehrere hundert Fuß nördlich in der Nähe eines Zweigs des Newtown Creek, der als English Kills bekannt ist, eingeebnet war. Im Jahr 1724 baute Richter Joseph Sackett auf einem malerischen Stück Land in der Nähe des Stadtdocks von Maspeth ein bedeutendes Landhaus mit “seat”, das als “zweistöckiges Haus mit vier Schornsteinen beschrieben wird.”
Die Familie Sackett hatte sich bereits 1656 auf einem großen Landstrich in Maspeth niedergelassen, der an das Unterland der englischen Kills angrenzte.

Richter Sackett, der am Court of Common Pleas saß, war auch ein erfolgreicher Geschäftsmann, der in New Jersey und anderswo in New Windsor, NY – zufällig der Geburtsort von DeWitt Clinton – bedeutende Anbauflächen anhäufte. Er kontrollierte den zentralen Teil des Chambers-Southerland-Patents sowie über 8.000 Hektar in der angrenzenden Stadt Blooming Grove. In New Windsor initiierte er auch die erste Fährverbindung nach Fishkill (jetzt Beacon), NY auf der Ostseite des Hudson River.

Walter Franklin Estate 1755-1780

Nach seinem Tod im Jahr 1755 wurde das Anwesen in Maspeth, zu dem auch das Gelände des Herrenhauses gehörte, an Walter Franklin verkauft, einen wohlhabenden Importhändler aus New York. Franklin Square, früher an der Kreuzung der Pearl und Cherry Street (heute die Manhattan-Rampe zur Brooklyn Bridge), war der Ort, an dem Franklin seine Stadtvilla und die Gärten der 1770 erbauten Villa, die später als Samuel Osgood House bekannt wurde, behielt von Präsident George Washington als Wohnsitz für das erste Jahr seiner Präsidentschaft genutzt.

Während des Unabhängigkeitskrieges diente das Herrenhaus in Maspeth als Hauptquartier des britischen Generals Joseph Warren, der 1776 seine Lage neben Newtown Creek nutzte, um seine Invasion in Manhattan zu starten.

Isaac Corsa Anwesen 1780-1807

Nach Franklins Tod im Jahr 1780 wurde seine Villa in Maspeth von seiner Schwester und ihrem Ehemann Colonel Isaac Corsa übernommen. Corsa war ein Veteran des Franzosen- und Indianerkrieges und auch ein erfolgreicher Kaufmann.

DeWitt Clinton Anwesen 1807-1828

Nach seinem Tod ging das Eigentum an Walter Franklins Tochter und Schwiegersohn DeWitt Clinton über. Während seiner Amtszeit als Eigentümer – von 1807 bis zu seinem Tod 1828 – nutzte Clinton es als Landsitz. Hier wurde sein Plan für die Schaffung des Erie-Kanals formuliert, der von den langsamen, seichten und schiffbaren Bächen neben seinem Grundstück inspiriert worden sein soll, die zu einem der großen Wirtschaftszentren seiner Zeit mündeten. der Ostfluss. Tatsächlich war Clinton nach Berichten aus der Zeit von der Idee fasziniert, einen Kanal von Flushing Bay in Queens nach Wallabout Bay in Brooklyn zu schaffen, der das zu Beginn des 19. der Flüsse East und Harlem. Ein theoretischer Kanal, der von Flushing Bay durch Queens gebaut wurde, würde höchstwahrscheinlich mit Newtown Creek verbunden sein, der eine Meile nördlich von Wallabout Bay am East River mündet.

Es überrascht nicht, dass DeWitt Clinton, eine legendäre Persönlichkeit, der berühmteste Eigentümer des Anwesens war. Als Beamter – Abgeordneter der Versammlung des Staates New York (gewählt 1798) Senator des Staates New York (im Dienst von 1798–1802 und 1806–1807) Senator der Vereinigten Staaten (1802–1803) Bürgermeister von New York City (1803–1807, 1808–1810) , 1811–1815) Vizegouverneur (1811–1813) Präsidentschaftskandidat der Federalist Party (1812) und Gouverneur von New York (1817-1822, 1825–1828) – er war einer der bekanntesten Personen in New York Staat und nach seiner Präsidentschaftskandidatur im Jahr 1812 die Vereinigten Staaten.

Außerhalb der Wahlpolitik hatte sein Einfluss auf die Schaffung des Erie-Kanals massive Auswirkungen auf New York City, den Bundesstaat New York und die Vereinigten Staaten. Der “Superhighway” seiner Zeit und zunächst verspottet als “Clinton's Folly” und “DeWitt's Ditch,” der Erie-Kanal veränderte Handel und Transport und generierte enormen Wohlstand und Wirtschaftswachstum, insbesondere in New York. Als Historiker und Naturforscher mit großem Interesse an Bildung war DeWitt Clinton 1804 auch maßgeblich an der Organisation der New York Historical Society beteiligt und war später deren Präsident (1813-1817) als Regent an der University of the State of New York ( 1808–1825) Mitglied der American Antiquarian Society und später deren Vizepräsident (1821-1828) und wurde 1816 in die American Academy of Arts and Sciences gewählt.

David S. Jones Anwesen 1828-1848

Nach seinem Tod übernahm Clintons Schwiegersohn, David S. Jones – ein Richter in Queens County und zeitweise New York City Corporation Counsel, das Eigentum an Maspeth. Jones war der Sohn von Samuel Jones, der von vielen als der Schöpfer des modernen Rechts- und Gerichtssystems im Bundesstaat New York angesehen wurde und als "Vater der New Yorker Anwaltskammer" bekannt ist. Nach seiner Pensionierung baute er ein beeindruckendes Herrenhaus in Massapequa, das er Massapequa Manor auf einem bedeutenden Land nördlich des Merrick Boulevards nannte eine künstliche Insel, die nach seiner Frau Mary Clinton benannt wurde.

Nach der Fertigstellung von Massapequa Manor war Jones in einer solchen finanziellen Notlage, dass er das Anwesen verkaufen und aus dem Ruhestand kommen musste. Er ließ sich für den Rest seines Lebens auf dem Anwesen in Maspeth nieder. Er war einer der ursprünglichen Gründer der St. Saviour's Church, die sich nur einen kurzen Spaziergang von seinem Anwesen entfernt befindet.

Edward Godfrey Anwesen 1848-1870

Nach seinem Tod im Jahr 1848 verkauften Jones'-Erben das Anwesen von Maspeth an Edward Godfrey, einen Lederhändler, der E. Godfrey & Sons gründete (zufällig in der Pearl Street neben dem Franklin Square gelegen, der zu dieser Zeit das Zentrum von das Gerbereigeschäft in New York City). Godfrey kaufte das Anwesen in Maspeth ungefähr zu der Zeit, als er von West Point aus in New York City ankam.

Als erfolgreicher Lederhändler – fast drei Jahrzehnte lang war seine Firma der größte Lederwarenhersteller New Yorks – behielt Godfrey die historischen Merkmale des Anwesens während seines Besitzes bei.

Generationen feierten in der “Clinton Hall”

Nach seinem Tod 1864 stellten seine Söhne das Anwesen zum Verkauf. Im Jahr 1870 wurde es von einem lokalen Senner namens Philip Grussy gekauft, der das Anwesen in einen Biergarten und eine Vergnügungshalle verwandelte. Er wurde Grussys Clinton Park genannt und blieb jahrzehntelang in Betrieb. Unter ihrem Besitz begann das Haus jedoch in den 1880er Jahren zu verfallen, einer von Clintons Söhnen, der dort geboren wurde, versuchte das Haus zu besuchen, konnte es aber nicht betreten, bis seine Identität festgestellt war. In den 1890er Jahren war das Gebäude in mindestens vier Wohnungen unterteilt und wurde als Mietshaus genutzt, und um die Wende zum 20 zu ruinieren” von seinen Besitzern. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt begann sich dieser Teil von Maspeth zu industrialisieren.

Während in den folgenden Jahrzehnten zeitweise Aufrufe zum Erhalt und Schutz des Hauses erhoben wurden, wurde keine Hilfe bei der Rettung des Hauses erzielt. Die letzte Entwicklung in Verbindung mit dem Anwesen und seinem berühmten ehemaligen Besitzer war die Clinton Hall (das Gebäude ist noch vorhanden), eine Vergnügungshalle, die nach ihrer Renovierung und Erweiterung im Jahr 1927 als “der größte Tanzsaal auf Long Island' 8221 mit “Ballsälen und Bowlingbahnen, Basketballplätzen und einem Billardraum…der Kronleuchter im Ballsaal wog zwei Tonnen und hatte zweitausend Lichter.” Zu diesem Zeitpunkt war das Haus selbst durch Vandalismus verfallen und 1933 wurde durch einen Brand zerstört.

Obwohl von dem Anwesen und dem Herrenhaus, das einst diesen Teil von Maspeth schmückte, keine Spur mehr vorhanden ist und die Gegend für frühere Generationen nicht wiederzuerkennen wäre, wird diese Replik des Historischen Markers genau aus diesem Grund wieder an die Stelle des Originals gestellt. Es steht außer Frage, dass der Ort, der DeWitt Clintons Landsitz wurde, nach dem zweihundertjährigen Jubiläum der Errichtung des Erie-Kanals von der Öffentlichkeit in Erinnerung bleiben und wiederentdeckt werden sollte.

Paul Graziano ist Stadtplanungsberater & 038 Denkmalpfleger.


Lokomotive "DeWitt Clinton"

Eine der frühen Dampflokomotiven, die jemals in den Vereinigten Staaten eingesetzt wurden, war die DeWitt Clinton, ein 0-4-0-Modell, das in Amerika gebaut wurde.

Es ist historisch nicht nur als eines der ersten im Land anerkannt, sondern auch als das allererste, das regelmäßig Linienverkehr in New York entlang der Mohawk & Hudson Railroad anbietet.

Die Lokomotive wurde nach einem ehemaligen Gouverneur des Bundesstaates benannt, der sich einige Jahre zuvor ironischerweise für den Bau des Erie-Kanals (ein langsamer, aber dennoch Konkurrent der Eisenbahn) zwischen Buffalo und New York City eingesetzt hatte, der die Zukunft des Verkehrs sein sollte . 

Die Clinton was built with a now-classic design for a steam locomotive and even operated with a matching set of early passenger cars.

Unfortunately, as was so often the case in those days no one thought to retain it for its historical significance and it was scrapped within a few years. Today, a replica is now available to the public preserved at the Henry Ford Museum.

The "DeWitt Clinton" at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair (also known as "A Century of Progress International Exposition").

The Mohawk & Hudson was New York's first chartered railroad, and upon its creation the M&H was the second such system ever incorporated behind only the private Granite Railway of Massachusetts, formed a month earlier in March to move stone from a small granite quarry.

The railroad received its name for the two tributaries that it hoped to connect the Hudson River at Albany and the Mohawk River at Schenectady. Due to funding issues, however, it took more than four years until construction actually began.

During this time a number of lines would be chartered and operated before the M&H including the B&O and South Carolina Canal & Rail Road based in the port city of Charleston. The line was meant to compete against the recently completed Erie Canal although its original intention was only to haul passengers, not freight.

Other Notable Early Locomotives

Another scene of the "DeWitt Clinton" on display at the Chicago Fair of 1933.

The railroad opened to much fanfare on August 9, 1831 when the DeWitt Clinton pulled the first regularly scheduled passenger train from Albany to Schenectady.

Interestingly, crowds were eager to ride this little 0-4-0 locomotive although tickets were so expensive only the rich were able to afford a the trip on such a futuristic piece of technology.

This was quite the contrary on the nearby Delaware & Hudson Canal Company when it had tested its English-built Stourbridge Lion two years earlier on August 8, 1829.

The locomotive was the first ever operated in the U.S. and it grabbed the intention of a large crowd as well, although many thought it would be a complete disaster (as a result, no one would ride behind it!).

That locomotive operated flawlessly and by 1831 steam technology had been proven to the point that most had a very different opinion, believing that railroads were the future in transportation.

In this scene the "DeWitt Clinton" replica is on display at the 1921 New York State Fair. Note the sign, "The New York Central's First Train."

Most of the early steamers built in America were either constructed by the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York (near NYC) or reassembled there after having been shipped across the Atlantic Ocean from England.

Die DeWitt Clinton was no different. It was the third U.S.-built locomotive in the country behind only Peter Cooper's Tom Thumb (which was not built at West Point) and the SCC&RR's Best Friend of Charleston.

The steamer had been ordered by the Mohawk & Hudson's then chief engineer, John B. Jervis, who was already very familiar with the new machines.

Prior to coming over to the M&H in 1831 he had worked for the D&H and sent his apprentice, Horatio Allen, to learn more about steam locomotives to ultimately decide if it was worth purchasing one or more for use on the railroad. This led to the D&H acquiring the Stourbridge Lion and three others.

Additionally, it used a somewhat matching set of early passenger cars, which were basically customized horse carriages patrons riding aboard would either be seated inside the cars or on rumble seats placed on the roofs.

The trip transpired without incident and the DeWitt Clinton remained in use on the M&H for only a few years before being scrapped by the railroad in 1833. However, a complete replica, including cars, was built by successor New York Central for the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago which was entirely operational.

It was used by the railroad for on-an-off again promotional purposes until being purchased in 1934 by Henry Ford for his famed museum in Dearborn, Michigan, where it still resides to this day next to the behemoth Chesapeake & Ohio Class H-8 2-6-6-6 "Allegheny".


Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:De Witt

[This information is from Vol. I, pp. 362-367 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs , edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The ancestor of the De Witt family in America was Tjerck Claessen De Witt, of whom the first mention made is to be found in the "Trouw Boeck," or register of marriages of the Reformed or Collegiate Dutch church of New York City. There it is recorded that on April 24, 1656, "Tjerck Claessen De Witt van Grootholdt en Zunderlandt" (Westphalia) married "Barbara Andriessen van Amsterdam." He was the son of Nicholas De Witt, of Holland, one of the members of a most influential family. It is not known whether other of his relatives actually came over from Holland at the same time that he did but it is thought probable, as he had a sister, Emmerentje, who married Martinus Hoffman in 1662, at New Amsterdam, and his brother, Jan Claessen De Witt, died, unmarried, at Kingston, New York, in 1699.

Tjerck C. De Witt resided in New York for a short time following his marriage in 1656, where his first child was born but removed in the spring of the following year to Albany, where he purchased a house and lot. He exchanged this in September, 1660, with Madame de Hutter, for land in Wiltwyck (Kingston), Ulster county, New York, with "possession to be given May 1, 1661." Here he lived until his death, and for two centuries and a half the place remained in the family. He was undoubtedly a man of means, as is shown by the fact that in 1661 he was taxed one hundred and twenty-five guilders (equal to about $50) to help pay for a new church building in Esopus, and in 1662 he owned No. 28 of the "New Lots." His eldest daughter, Taatje, was carried away from him by the Indians, June 7, 1663, during the destruction of Kingston and Hurley, but was rescued. Governor Lovelace deeded to him "a parcel of bush-land, together with a house, lot, orchard, and calves' pasture, lying near Kingston, in Esopus," on June 25, 1672, and Governor Andros, October 8, 1677, deeded to him about fifty acres of woodland west of the town. He was, on February 11, 1679, one of the signers of a renewal of the Nichols treaty with the Esopus Indians. He joined with others, in 1684, petitioning Governor Thomas Dongan that there might he "liberty by charter to this county (Ulster) to choose our owne officers to every towne court by the major vote of the freeholders." The petition greatly offended the authorities, so that the signers were arrested and fined for this display of a desire for free or local self-government. The trustees of Kingston conveyed to him one hundred and eighty-nine acres of land, February 13, 1685, and June 6, 1685, he claimed two hundred and ninety acres lying upon the north side of Rondout Kill, known as Momboccus, which was granted to him by patent May 14, 1694. He was elected a magistrate of Ulster county, March 4, 1689. He died at Kingston, New York, February 17, 1700. By his will, dated March 4, 1698, he left his property to his wife for life, and directed that after her death it be divided between his oldest and youngest sons, in trust, and by them divided into twelve equal shares, to be given to each of his children or their heirs but to Lucas he devised the one-half of a sloop he had built the year before, and his widow was named executrix.

Tjerck Claessen De Witt married, at New Amsterdam, April 24, 1656, Barbara Andriessen, who died July 6, 1714. Children:

  1. Andries, born in New York City (New Amsterdam) in the early part of 1657 (see forward).
  2. Taatje, born at Albany, New York, about 1659, died previous to 1724 was carried off by Esopus Indians at the burning of Kingston in 1663 but was rescued married, 1677, Matthys Matthyssen Van Keuren, son, of Matthys Jansen and Margaret (Hendrickse) Van Keuren, who in 1685 was commissioned captain and served against the French on the northern frontier.
  3. Jannetje, baptized February 12, 1662, died in 1744 married Cornelis Swits, born 1651, died 1730, son of Cornelis Claessen and Ariantje (Trommels) Swits.
  4. Klaes, baptized February 17, 1664, died previous to 1698.
  5. Jan, baptized February 14, 1666, died previous to probating of will, April 12, 1715 married Wyntje, daughter of Dr. Roeloff and Ikee (Aaghe) (Roosa) Kiersted.
  6. Geertruy, baptized October 15, 1668 married, March 24, 1688, Hendrick Hendricksen Schoonmaker, baptized May 17, 1665, son of Hendrick Jochemsen and Elsie (Janse) Schoonmaker.
  7. Jacob, married Grietje, daughter of Cornelis C. and Annatje (Cornelissen) Vernooy, and lived at Rochester, Ulster county, New York, where he was one of the trustees of the place.
  8. Rachel, married Cornelis Bogardus, died October 13, 1707, son of Cornelis and Helena (Teller) Bogardus.
  9. Lucas, married, December 22, 1695, Annatje, daughter of Anthony and Jannetje (Hillebrants) Delva was commander and joint owner with his father of the sloop, "St. Barbara," and died in 1703.
  10. Peek, married (first), at Albany, January 2, 1698, Marytje Janse Vanderberg married (second), December 21, 1723, Maria Teunis he was first a resident of New York, subsequently buying land in Dutchess county, September 6, 1698, and in 1715 removed to Ulster county.
  11. Tjerck.
  12. Marritje, married (first), November 3, 1700, Hendrick Hendricksen Kortreght, son of Hendrick Jansen and Catharine Hansen (Weber) Kortreght married (second), September 6, 1702, Jan Macklin.
  13. Aagje, baptized January 14, 1684 married, August 23, 1712, Jan Pawling, son of Henry and Neeltje (Roosa) Pawling.

(II) Andries, son of Tjerck Claessen and Barbara (Andriessen) De Witt, was born in New Amsterdam (New York City), between 1657 and 1660, and died at Kingston, New York, July 22, 1710. For some years he lived at Marbletown, Ulster county, New York, on a farm given to him by his father but removed to Kingston previous to 1708. His death is recorded in the family records in this wise: "Captain Andries De Witt departed this life in a sorrowful way through the breaking of two sleepers (beams) he was pressed down and very much bruised he spoke a few words and died." He was buried in the church-yard at Kingston. He married, March 7, 1682, Jannetje Egbertsen. She was baptized in New Amsterdam, January 11, 1664, died November 23, 1733, and was the daughter of Egbert Meindertse and Jaepe (Jans) Egbertsen. Kinder:

  1. Tjerck, baptized January 12, 1683 died at Kingston, August 30, 1762 married (first), January 18, 1708, Anne Pawling, baptized June 19, 1687, daughter of Henry and Neeltje (Roosa) Pawling married (second), October 17, 1739, Deborah, baptized September 14, 1684, daughter of Egbert Hendricksen and Annatje (Berry) Schoonmaker, widow successively of Jacob Vernooy and Hendrick Vroom.
  2. Jacob, baptized September 28, 1684, died young.
  3. Barbara, baptized August 22, 1686, died young.
  4. Klaes, baptized April 30, 1688, died young.
  5. Barbara (2d), born October 30, 1689 married, March 25, 1715, Johannes Van Leuven died November 1, 1715.
  6. Jacob, born December 30, 1691 married, May 9, 1731, Hevltje Van Kampen, baptized October 6, 1700, daughter of Jan and Tietje Janse (Decker) Van Kampen.
  7. Maria, born January 21, 1693 married, October 30, 1713, Jan Roosa, Jr., baptized November 6, 1692, son of Jan and Hillegond (Van Buren) Roosa.
  8. Helena, born December 7, 1695 married, June 6, 1719, Jacob Swits, baptized at Albany, June 26, 1695, son of Isaac and Susanna (Groot) Swits.
  9. Andries, born April 1, 1697, died July 2, 1701.
  10. Egbert, born March 18, 1699, see forward.
  11. Johannes, born March 26, 1701 married, June 27, 1724, Mary Brodhead, baptized August 6, 1699, daughter of Charles and Maria (Ten Broeck) Brodhead.
  12. Andries, baptized February 20, 1704, died at Rochester, Ulster county, New York, in 1764 married, December 3, 1731, Bredjen Nottingham, baptized December 23, 1711, daughter of William and Margaret (Rutsen) Nottingham.

(III) Egbert, son of Andries and Jannetje (Egbertsen) De Witt, was born March 18, 1699. He settled at Napahanoch, in the town of Warwarsing, Ulster county, New York. He married, November 4, 1726, Mary Nottingham, born May 19, 1704, daughter of William and Margaret (Rutsen) Nottingham. Kinder:

  1. Andries, baptized October 15, 1727, see forward.
  2. Jacob Rutsen, baptized April 13, 1729 married, April 15, 1756, Jenneke, daughter of Moses and Margaret (Schoonmaker) Depuy purchased land on the Navesink river, and was a captain of a militia company during the revolution.
  3. William, born in 1731 married, May 30, 1762, Susanna Chambers.
  4. John E., baptized September 19, 1733 married, October 26, 1765, Catherine Newkirk, baptized February 26, 1738, daughter of Cornelius, Jr., and Neeltje (Du Bois) Newkirk.
  5. Stephen, baptized December 14, 1735 married, December 8, 1770, Wyntje, baptized February 23, 1746, died July 7, 1830, daughter of John and Venni (Nottingham) Brodhead.
  6. Mary, born September 5, 1737, died September 12, 1795 married, February 18, 1765, General James Clinton, born August 9, 1736, died December 22, 1812, son of Charles and Elizabeth (Denniston) Clinton, and had son, DeWitt Clinton, governor of New York state.
  7. Egbert, baptized April 1, 1739.
  8. Thomas, born May 3, 1741, died at Kingston, New York, September 7, 1809 married, February 28, 1782, Elsie, born March 20, 1750, died June 28, 1832, daughter of Jacob and Maria (Hoornbeck) Hasbrouck during the revolution commissioned as captain in the Third New York Regiment was promoted to be major assisted in the defence of Fort Stanwix (Rome, New York) when besieged by Colonel St. Leger, in August, 1777, and accompanied General Sullivan's successful expedition against the Indians.
  9. Benjamin, baptized January 19, 1743.
  10. Reuben, baptized October 20, 1745 married, November 11, 1772, Elizabeth, baptized May 20, 1753, daughter of Moses and Elizabeth (Clearwater) Depuy.

(IV) Andries (2), son of Egbert and Mary (Nottingham) De Witt, was baptized October 15, 1727, died at New Paltz, New York, September 30, 1799. He was a physician of excellent standing in his profession, and practiced in his native country for more than half a century. He married, April 24, 1748, Jannetje Vernooy, baptized March 3, 1728, died February 7, 1795, daughter of Johannes and Jenneke (Louw) Vernooy. Kinder:

  1. Anna, born April 6, 1749, baptized May 23, 1749, died January 20, 1819 married, April 5, 1778, Hugo Freer, of New Paltz, New York, born July 26, 1749, died October 13, 1808, son of Gerrit and Maria Freer.
  2. Egbert, born October 1, 1750, died March 25, 1816 married Elizabeth Smith, baptized December 18, 1755, daughter of Hendrick and Sarah (Keator) Smith.
  3. Maria, born April 24, 1752.
  4. John A., baptized November 15, 1753, died October 4, 1818 married, April 19, 1776, Rachel Bevier.
  5. Cornelis, baptized July 21, 1755.
  6. Simeon, born December 26, 1756, died December 3, 1834 married (first), October 12, 1789, Elizabeth Lynott, born January 3, 1767, died December 13, 1793 married (second), Janneke (Varick) Hardenberg, born May 18, 1760, died April 10, 1808, daughter of John and Jane (Dey) Varick, and widow of Abraham Hardenberg married (third), October 29, 1810, Susan Linn, born October 30, 1778, died May 5, 1824, daughter of Rev. William and Rebecca (Blair) Linn.
  7. William, born December 17, 1758.
  8. Janneke, born 1760 married John C. Hardenberg, of Hurley, Ulster county, New York, baptized February 22, 1756, died 1833, son of Charles and Catherine (Smedes) Hardenberg.
  9. Catherine, baptized September 20, 1762, died August 24, 1850 married Nathaniel Bevier, baptized April 17, 1756, son of Johannes and Magdalena (Lefever) Bevier.
  10. Andries A., baptized January 20, 1766, died March 10, 1851.
  11. Sarah, baptized February 2, 1767.
  12. Elizabeth, born June 24, 1769 married, December 22, 1801, Henry Guest.
  13. Levi, born October 7, 1771. 14. Benjamin, born December 26, 1775, died, New York City, September 10, 1819 married, September 27, 1800, Eve, born, Albany, March 27, 1777, died May 21, 1832, daughter of James and Lydia (Van Valkenburg) Bloodgood.

(V) General Simeon, son of Dr. Andries (2) and Jannetje (Vernooy) De Witt, was born at Warwarsing, Ulster county, New York, December 26, 1756, died at Ithaca, New York, December 3, 1834. The baptismal record shows that he was baptized on the day following his birth, into the faith of the Reformed Protestant Dutch church. Young De Witt, after receiving such an English education as a scattered agricultural population afforded, was placed for classical instruction with Rev. Dr. Romeyn, of Schenectady, an intimate friend of his father. He was thus prepared for college, and was sent to Queen's (afterwards Rutgers) College, under Rev. Dr. Hardenbergh, graduating in 1776, the only one in the class. It was impossible to follow the course in quietude, for those were stirring times of revolutionary conflict. The battle of Long Island was followed by the evacuation of New York City, and the American forces were not permitted to retreat across the Hudson river unmolested, for General Howe pursued them to New Brunswick, burned Princeton, and then marched on to Trenton. De Witt continued his studies at home, passing much time in the family of his uncle, General James Clinton, of the revolutionary army, and the father of De Witt Clinton, afterwards governor of New York, with whom he was a great favorite. This intimacy kindled a patriotism which resulted in De Witt's achieving prominence throughout his long career.

The news of General Burgoyne's contemplated excursion by way of Canada into the United States aroused both old and young. A battalion was organized in Ulster county under General Gates, to join the American army, and with this De Witt marched as a volunteer adjutant. On arriving at the seat of war, the men were incorporated into a regiment already existing and being thus deprived of his temporary command, he fell into the ranks as a private, and in this capacity was present at the battles which decided the fate of Burgoyne, as well as being present at the surrender of the British following the battle of Bemis' Heights, October, 1777. The service being ended for which he and his companions had volunteered, he returned to his father's house, where he pursued his mathematical studies in connection with the practical business of surveying. Not many months had elapsed before General Washington, in a letter to General James Clinton, inquired whether he knew of any person who was qualified to act as geographer in other words, to be a topographical engineer for the army. De Witt was immediately recommended, and was appointed in 1778 to be assistant to Colonel Robert Erskine, then geographer-in-chief. He performed his duties so admirably that when his superior died in 1780, De Witt was appointed head of the department, which commission was signed September 8, 1780, by Thomas McKean, president of congress, and took effect on December 4. He was ordered, December 16, 1780, by General Washington to go to headquarters at New Windsor, and continued attached to the main army until the end of the campaign. He was constantly employed in the survey along the route of the army to Yorktown, and was present both at its siege and surrender, thus having witnessed the two important surrenders, of Burgoyne and Cornwallis. The maps made by him were tendered to Washington with the suggestion that if printed by the government they would be of great value to the public but although Washington advocated De Witt's idea, congress deemed the country too low in funds to attempt the undertaking. He was appointed surveyor-general on May 13, 1784, and he held the position for more than fifty years. He established, with James Clinton, the boundary between New York and Pennsylvania, completing the survey in the years 1786-87, in satisfactory manner. In 1786 the state legislature had requested him to prepare a map of New York, which he finished and published in 1802, being a most creditable effort on his part, and an index at this day of what the state was at that time.

In 1796 General Washington, without General De Witt's knowledge or solicitation, nominated him to the senate of the United States as surveyor-general, and the appointment was cordially ratified, but he was obliged from force of circumstances to decline. The following is the official record:

General De Witt considered this as the most gratifying event in his whole career, especially as he had gained, as shown by numerous private letters, the fullest confidence and friendship of George Washington. In 1798 he was elected a regent of the University, to succeed Hon. Lewis Morris, deceased, which office he held until his death, and for many years was senior member of the board. In 1817 he was elected vice-chancellor, and in 1829, chancellor of the University. He was a charter member of the Society of the Cincinnati, of which General Washington was president.

On the inception of the canal policy in New York, Mr. De Witt was officially directed to cause surveys to be made of all streams and rivers between the Hudson and Lake Erie, and for several years he was associated as one of the board of canal commissioners. He was a member of the American Philosophical Society, the oldest in the United States, joining in 1790, on the recommendation of Rittenhouse, to which he made one communication, published in the 6th volume, "Observations on the Eclipse of the Sun." He was president of the Lancaster school's board, Albany, and succeeded Chancellor Livingston as president of the Society for the Promotion of Agriculture, Arts and Manufactures, incorporated by him and others in 1793 in New York state, before which he read two scientific papers, "On a Plan for a Meteorological Chart," and "Establishment of a Meridian Line in the City of Albany." His writings on drawing and perspective were published in a volume entitled The Element of Perspective , 1813. In his annual address he introduced the novel idea of the rotation of crops. To the Transactions of the Albany Institute he contributed a table of variations of the magnetic needle observations on the function of the moon, deduced from the eclipse of 1806, and a description of a new form of rain gauge. In Silliman's Journal he discussed the theory of meteors, and altogether he was thoroughly conversant with many important fields of science, but particularly agriculture and meteorology, ever exhibiting a most cultured mind, and a desire to advance the people's interest.

General Simeon De Witt married (first), October 12, 1789, Elizabeth Lynott, born January 3, 1767, died December 13, 1793 married (second), Janneke (Jane) Varick Hardenberg, born May 18, 1760, died April 10, 1808, daughter of John and Jane (Dey) Varick, and widow of Abraham Hardenberg married (third), October 29, 1810, Susan Linn, born October 30, 1778, died May 5, 1824, daughter of Rev. William and Rebecca (Blair) Linn. The third wife of General De Witt, Susan (Linn) De Witt, wrote a novel, Justina , and also a poem entitled "The Pleasures of Religion."

General De Witt's second wife was a sister of Colonel Richard Varick, and with excellent reason the descendants are proud of the relationship. He was a noted revolutionary officer and recorder and mayor of New York. The latter office he occupied for twelve years, the longest term of service on record since the revolution. Colonel Varick was born of Dutch parentage, at Hackensack, New Jersey, in 1752, the common American ancestor of the family being Rev. Adolphus Van Vork, minister of the Reformed Dutch church at Jamaica, Long Island, who died in 1694. Colonel Varick was educated at King's, now Columbia, College, and embraced the profession of law. At the beginning of the revolution he tendered his services, and was appointed military secretary of General Philip Schuyler, then commanding the Army of the North. Congress appointed him deputy commissary-general in February, 1776, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel, and he was present as such at the memorable battles of Stillwater and Saratoga, fought in September and October, 1777. After the surrender of Burgoyne, he was stationed at West Point as inspector-general, and then became Washington's recording secretary until the close of the war. To him Washington wrote from Mount Vernon, January 1, 1784, a letter cherished by his relatives living at Albany, which, in part, is as follows: "I pray you will be persuaded that I shall take a pleasure in asserting on every occasion the sense I entertain of the fidelity, skill and indefatigable industry manifested by you in the performance of your public duties." In the possession of the Varick family is a small pair of silver spurs. As George, the young son of Governor Clinton, was one day riding down Broadway, in the city of New York, he was stopped by President Washington, who buckled these spurs on his boots with his own hands. Colonel Varick participated prominently in the formation of the Society of the Cincinnati, of which Washington was the first president, and he was elected president of the New York branch of that society, July 9, 1806. He served in the assembly in 1787-88, and in both years was chosen speaker. He was made attorney general, May 14, 1789, and was a reviser of the New York laws in 1778-89. The town of Varick was named in his honor, by act of legislature passed February 6, 1830. He died July 30, 1831.

Children of General Simeon and Jane (Varick) De Witt:

  1. Richard Varick, born February 6. 1800, see forward.
  2. George Washington, born February 17, 1801, died August 2, 1814.
  3. Susan Linn, born September 3, 1811 married, in 1835, Levi Hubbell.
  4. Cornelia Lansing, born September 10, 1813, died March 15, 1820.
  5. William Linn, born January 13, 1817, died at Ithaca, New York, October 12, 1903.
  6. Mary Linn, born February 23, 1819, died March 20, 1871.

(VI) Richard Varick, son of General Simeon and Jane (Varick) (Hardenbergh) De Witt, was born at Albany, New York, February 6, 1800, died at Albany, February 7, 1868. He inherited his father's scientific tastes, and was one of the founders of the old Albany Institute, as well as one of its first officers. Before that learned body he frequently displayed his scientific and literary attainments. He graduated at Union College, and after finishing his studies in the office of the late Harmanus Bleecker, afterwards United States Minister at The Hague, was called to the bar. He possessed a large property at Ithaca, New York, and while his natural tastes led him to literary pursuits, his prominent position forced him to a more active life. He established and maintained a line of steamboats on Cayuga lake, in their day considered models of speed and comfort. It was his pleasure to devote much spare time to architectural drawing he has left behind many drawings of buildings and paintings in both water color and oil of the early types of steamboats, notably that of Fulton's "Clermont." Through his exertions and means, the Ithaca & Oswego railroad was constructed, which was one of the earliest lines in New York state but unfortunately. in the financial disaster of 1837, he lost much of his property by the forced sale of this road. He was for many years both an elder and superintendent of the Sunday school of the Middle (or Second) Dutch Reformed Church of Albany. He was vice-president of the State Cincinnati Society, and during the absence of Governor Fish in Europe, acting president. His refinement was only one of his many charms, and throughout his whole life he maintained a spotless Christian character.

Richard Varick De Witt married, at Albany, New York, May 18, 1831, Sarah Walsh, born in Albany, December 20, 1805, died there May 5, 1842. Her father was Dudley Walsh, who married, September 24, 1793, Sarah, daughter of John and Magdalena (Douw) Stevenson. Dudley Walsh was born in Dublin, Ireland, 1756, died at Albany, May 24, 1816, and Sarah Stevenson, his wife, was born September 29, 1772, died at Albany, June 22, 1816. John Stevenson died April 24, 1810, and Magdalena Douw, his wife, died December 20, 1817. Children:

  1. Richard Varick, born at Albany, New York (as were all his brothers and sisters), August 30, 1832, see forward.
  2. Catherine Walsh, born November 26, 1833, died at Albany, January 8, 1907.
  3. Dudley Walsh, born October 31, 1835, died at Albany, June 20, 1904.
  4. Sarah Walsh, residing in Albany in 1910.
  5. Justina, born August 9, 1839, died May 8, 1840.
  6. Alice Justina, born February 22, 1841, died April 24, 1869 married, April 27, 1865, Augustus de Peyster, of Boston, Massachusetts.
  7. Infant, born April 13, 1842, died April 14, 1842.

(VII) Richard Varick (2), son of Richard Varick (1) and Sarah (Walsh) De Witt, was born in Albany, New York, August 30, 1832, died, after a brief illness at his home, No. 202 Lancaster street, Albany, August 21, 1901. He was educated at the Albany Academy, and after finishing his education, in 1849. entered the employ of the Albany Insurance Company. In 1854 he was employed in the New York State Bank, which position he held until 1868, when he again entered the insurance field. From 1872 to 1890 he was secretary of the Commerce Insurance Company, of Albany, and was secretary of the Albany Insurance Company from 1890 to 1896, when he resigned to engage in similar business for himself. He was appointed a member of the board of fire commissioners, September 8, 1887, and was for a long period the secretary of that board, serving with distinction until the board was legislated out of office in 1900. No man in Albany was more widely or more favorably known. His commercial career was most highly honorable, and he was noted for his geniality and humor. For seventeen years Mr. De Witt was a valued trustee of the Madison Avenue Dutch Reformed Church at one time a director of the Albany Exchange Savings Bank trustee of the Albany Medical College member of the standing committee of the Society of the Cincinnati of State of New York, and president of the Albany branch of the Fire Insurance Agents' Association of New York State, and was a charter member of the Albany Academy Alumni Association. In his younger days he was fond of athletic sports and participated in rowing and baseball contests. He was well known as a clever writer on miscellaneous and historical matters, contributing most entertaining articles to the local and metropolitan press. He was wise in counsel, of excellent judgment, and ever exerted himself for the welfare of others and for the benefit of the public good. When he died Mayor Blessing, of Albany, ordered the flags to be lowered upon the City Hall and on all houses of the fire department. He was buried in the family plat with his ancestors in the Albany Rural Cemetery. A handsome memorial was dedicated September 25, 1910, in the Madison Avenue Reformed (Dutch) Church, in his memory and that of his family, by his only surviving sister.

Go to top of page | previous family: Warren | next family: Hilton

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/dewitt.html updated April 28, 2020

Copyright 2020 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library


Clinton Genealogy (in De Witt County, IL)

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Clinton are also found through the De Witt County and Illinois pages.

Clinton Birth Records

Clinton Cemetery Records

Memorial Park Cemetery Billion Graves

Oak Park Cemetery Billion Graves

Woodlawn Cemetery Billion Graves

Clinton Census Records

US-Volkszählung, 1790-1940 Familiensuche

Clinton Church Records

Clinton City Directories

Clinton Death Records

DeWitt County Coroner's Inquest Files Index (1924-1977) Illinois State Archive

Clinton Histories and Genealogies

History of Clintonia Township US Gen Web Archives

Clinton Immigration Records

Clinton Land Records

Clinton Map Records

Bird's eye view map of the city of Clinton, DeWitt County, Illinois 1869. Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, April 1887 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, December 1892 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, January 1916 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, March 1898 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, May 1910 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, October 1904 Library of Congress

Clinton Marriage Records

Clinton Newspapers and Obituaries

Central Transcript 1856-1862 Newspapers.com

Clinton Daily Journal and Public 1927-1963 Newspapers.com

Clinton Daily Public 1915-1926 Newspapers.com

Clinton Morning Journal 1921-1926 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public 1862-1863 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public 1869-1901 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public and Central Transcript 1864-1869 Newspapers.com

Clinton Register 1882-1915 Newspapers.com

Clinton Semi-Weekly Register 1870-1872 Newspapers.com

Clinton Tribune 1884-1884 Farmer City Public Library

Clinton Weekly Register 1872-1882 Newspapers.com

De Witt County Public, and Central Transcript 1863-1864 Newspapers.com

DeWitt Courier 1854-1856 Newspapers.com

DeWitt Register 1868-1870 Newspapers.com

Strike Bulletin 1913-1915 Newspapers.com

Strike Bulletin, 1913-1915 Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections

Offline Newspapers for Clinton

Nach Angaben des US Newspaper Directory wurden die folgenden Zeitungen gedruckt, sodass möglicherweise Papier- oder Mikrofilmkopien verfügbar sind. Weitere Informationen zum Auffinden von Offline-Zeitungen finden Sie in unserem Artikel zum Auffinden von Offline-Zeitungen.

Central Transcript. (Clinton, Ills. [Ill.]) 1856-1862

Clinton Daily Journal and Public. (Clinton, Ill.) 1927-1979

Clinton Daily Journal. (Clinton, Ill.) 1980-Current

Clinton Public, and Central Transcript. (Clinton, Ill.) 1864-1869

Clinton Public. (Clinton, De Witt County, Ill.) 1862-1863

Clinton Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1882-1926

Clinton Semi-Weekly Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1870-1872

Clinton Weekly Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1868-1882

De Witt County Public, and Central Transcript. (Clinton, De Witt County, Ill.) 1863-1864

Dewitt County Constitution. (Clinton, Ill.) 1997-Current

Dewitt Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1868-1870

Clinton Probate Records

Clinton School Records

Clinton Community High School Yearbook, 1930, 1931, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Internet Archive

Clinton Community High School Yearbook, 1961, 1963 Internet Archive

Clinton Community High School, Clintonia, 1910, 1962 Internet Archive

Clinton High School Yearbook, 1910, 1912, 1917, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929 Internet Archive

Clinton High School Yearbook, 1919 Internet Archive

Clinton Junior High School Yearbook, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Internet Archive

Ergänzungen oder Korrekturen auf dieser Seite? Wir freuen uns über Ihre Vorschläge über unsere Kontaktseite


Schau das Video: Clinton County Town Meeting in De Witt (November 2021).