Nachrichten

Brunelleschis Alte Sakristei, San Lorenzo, Florenz

Brunelleschis Alte Sakristei, San Lorenzo, Florenz


Filippo Brunelleschi

Unsere Redakteure prüfen, was Sie eingereicht haben und entscheiden, ob der Artikel überarbeitet werden soll.

Filippo Brunelleschi, (geboren 1377, Florenz [Italien] – gestorben 15. April 1446, Florenz), Architekt und Ingenieur, der einer der Pioniere der Architektur der Frührenaissance in Italien war. Sein Hauptwerk ist die Kuppel der Kathedrale Santa Maria del Fiore (Dom) in Florenz (1420–36), die mit Hilfe von Maschinen gebaut wurde, die Brunelleschi eigens für das Projekt erfunden hat. Das meiste, was über Brunelleschis Leben und Karriere bekannt ist, basiert auf einer Biographie, die in den 1480er Jahren von einem bewundernden jüngeren Zeitgenossen verfasst wurde, der als Antonio di Tuccio Manetti identifiziert wurde.

Warum ist Filippo Brunelleschi so berühmt?

Filippo Brunelleschi war ein italienischer Renaissance-Künstler, Architekt und Ingenieur. Er ist bekannt für seine Fähigkeit, komplexe Probleme zu lösen, wie sein Entwurf für die Kuppel der Kathedrale Santa Maria del Fiore (1420–36 der Duomo) in Florenz zeigt, die mit Maschinen gebaut wurde, die Brunelleschi eigens für das Projekt erfunden hat.

Wofür ist Filippo Brunelleschi bekannt?

Filippo Brunelleschi ist vor allem für die Gestaltung der Kuppel des Doms in Florenz bekannt, aber er war auch ein talentierter Künstler. Er soll die Prinzipien der linearen Perspektive wiederentdeckt haben, ein künstlerisches Mittel, das durch die Darstellung von konvergierenden parallelen Linien die Illusion von Raum erzeugt. Seine Prinzipien ermöglichten es den Zeitgenossen, erstaunlich realistische Kunstwerke zu schaffen.

Wie war die Familie von Filippo Brunelleschi?

Filippo Brunelleschi war der zweite von drei Söhnen von Ser Brunellesco di Lippo Lapi, einem angesehenen florentinischen Notar, und Giuliana Spini. Obwohl Brunelleschi nie heiratete, adoptierte er einen Sohn, Andrea di Lazzaro Cavalcanti, genannt Buggiano, der später Künstler wurde.

Wie hat Filippo Brunelleschi erzogen?

Filippo Brunelleschi erhielt eine geisteswissenschaftliche Ausbildung, doch sein zeichnerisches Talent führte ihn später zu einer Ausbildung zum Goldschmied und Bildhauer. Er beantragte die Eintragung in die Arte della Seta und wurde 1401 zum Meister ernannt.

Wie ist Filippo Brunelleschi gestorben?

Über die Todesursache von Brunelleschi wird nicht viel geschrieben, aber er starb fast im Alter von 70 Jahren in Florenz und wurde im Dom beigesetzt.


LSU Digital Commons

Die Alte Sakristei von San Lorenzo in Florenz, Italien, wurde in den Jahren 1419-1428 erbaut und gilt als eines der einflussreichsten Gebäude der italienischen Frührenaissance. Die Alte Sakristei von Brunelleschi war in ihrem ursprünglichen Entwurf makellos und ohne die architektonischen Ornamente, die so viele Vorgängerbauten charakterisieren und die durch spätere Umbauten mit der Sakristei selbst in Verbindung gebracht werden. Tatsächlich zeichnete sich die ursprüngliche Sakristei durch einen rein gegliederten Raum aus, der frei von zusätzlichen Ornamenten zur Architektur war. Doch schon kurz nach Bauende wurde die Alte Sakristei zu einem Schlachtfeld für neue und sich entwickelnde Vorstellungen über die Ausschmückung sakraler Räume. Ein wahres Who-is-Who des frühen Quattrocento Florenz, darunter der Architekt Filippo Brunelleschi, der Bildhauer Donatello und die wohlhabende und immer mächtiger werdende Medici-Familie, bezog Stellung. Obwohl der anfängliche Mangel an Ornamentik erforscht wurde, versäumte es die Wissenschaft bisher, die Entscheidung, die Ornamentik des ursprünglichen Raums tiefgreifend zu verändern, vollständig zu erklären. Die vorliegende Arbeit interpretiert und bewertet die Forschungen zur Alten Sakristei und bietet ihrerseits eine Erklärung für die gegenwärtige Anordnung der architektonischen Ornamentik sowohl unter ästhetischen als auch unter mäzenatischen Gesichtspunkten.


Andere Werke von Brunelleschi: San Lorenzo, Santo Spirito und die Pazzi-Kapelle

Die Basilica di San Lorenzo (Florenz, Italien) ist eine der größten Kirchen von Florenz und die Begräbnisstätte aller bedeutenden Mitglieder der Familie Medici. Es wurde 393 geweiht, 1419 jedoch unter der Leitung von Filippo Brunelleschi renoviert.

Im Jahr 1421 begann Brunelleschi mit den Arbeiten der Sakristei (heute Alte Sakristei) der Kirche San Lorenzo (Florenz), ein von der Familie Medici finanziertes Projekt, das 1429 abgeschlossen wurde. Der Grundriss hat die Form eines perfekten Quadrats und der Raum ist von einer Kuppel auf Pendentiven bedeckt, diese Kuppel ist eine schirmartige Kuppel, die aus 12 Gewölben besteht, die in der Mitte miteinander verbunden sind. Eine der vier Wände der Sakristei (die Südwand) öffnet sich zu einem ebenfalls quadratischen kleinen Altar, der durch eine gewölbte Öffnung mit dem Hauptraum verbunden ist und wiederum von einer kleineren Kuppel bedeckt ist. Diese räumliche Gestaltung ist eine fast mathematische Demonstration eines der Grundprinzipien der Perspektive: der Mehrdimensionalität des Raumes. Indem Brunelleschi dem größeren Raum (der Sakristei) und dem Moll (dem Altar) das gleiche kubische Schema und die gleiche Kuppeldecke gab, betonte Brunelleschi, dass beide Raumeinheiten gleich waren und dass ihr rein quantitativer Unterschied von der ersichtlich Distanz, das ist perspektivisch. Deshalb ist der kubische Raum der Kapelle als entfernt Raum, als ob er ein Schnittpunkt der “visuellen Pyramide” wäre, der dem “Fluchtpunkt” am nächsten liegt. Das Innere des Hauptraums ist mit dem des Altars durch Pilaster und Bögen verbunden, die die geometrische Einheit des Raums betonen. Die Pilaster dienen rein visuellen Zwecken und markieren die Grenze zwischen den von den Kuben der Sakristei und dem Altar begrenzten Räumen. Diese eingebauten Säulen sind zusammen mit denen an den Winkeln, dem Fries und den Bögen mit dem sogenannten “ . gebautpietra serena, dunkelgrau, um ihre Präsenz über der schlichten weißen Oberfläche der Wände hervorzuheben. Die Pilaster tragen ein Gebälk, dessen Zweck es ist, den Raum in zwei gleiche horizontale Zonen zu unterteilen: die obere Zone mit Kuppel und Pendentiven und die untere Zone mit dem quadratischen Raum. Die Pilaster zeigen korinthische Kapitelle, auch als Zeugnis von Brunelleschis Studien der antiken römischen Architektur. Die dekorativen Details der Sakristei stammen von Donatello, der die Tondos in den Pendentiven, die Lünetten, die Reliefs über den Türen und die Türen selbst entworfen hat. Die kleinere Kuppel über dem Altar ist mit astrologischen Darstellungen von Sternkonstellationen von Giuliano d’Arrigo verziert. Unter einer zentralen Kuppel lagen die Gräber des Stifters Giovanni di Bicci de’ Medici und seiner Frau Piccarda Bueri.

Innenraum der alten Sakristei (Sagrestia Vecchia) von San Lorenzo (Florenz). Die Sakristei befindet sich neben dem nördlichen Querschiff, sie ist der älteste Teil der heutigen Kirche und der einzige Teil, der zu Brunelleschis Lebzeiten fertiggestellt wurde. Es wurde zwischen 1421-1440 gebaut. Blick auf das Gewölbe der Alten Sakristei (Basilika San Lorenzo, Florenz). Die Kuppel des kleinen Altars der Alten Sakristei wurde 1442 von Giuliano d’Arrigo mit Blick auf den Himmel von Florenz geschmückt.

Um 1423, während die Sakristei gebaut wurde, begann Brunelleschi in der Kirche San Lorenzo zu arbeiten. Sein Inneres, mit drei Schiffen, die durch zwei lange Säulenreihen geteilt sind, ähnelt dem der primitiven römischen Basiliken, aber eine genauere Untersuchung lässt uns feststellen, dass in diesem Innenraum das Thema des Portikus des Krankenhauses der Unschuldigen entwickelt wurde symmetrisch: Die beiden Seitenschiffe wiederholen die Abfolge von in die Tiefe projizierten Bögen und Raumkuben, während das Mittelschiff (viel heller) dem Weltraum entspricht. Der Betrachter hat dann den magischen Eindruck, dass entlang der Achse des Mittelschiffs ein Spiegel angebracht ist, der die Tiefenperspektiven der Seitenschiffe genau passend zu beiden Bildern übereinander reflektiert. In San Lorenzo wurden die massiven Säulen der gotischen Architektur durch schlanke Säulen mit korinthischen Kapitellen ersetzt, und die traditionelle Gewölbedecke des Mittelschiffs wurde wiederum durch eine Kassettendecke mit fein vergoldeten, quadratischen Fächern ersetzt.

Innenansicht der Basilika San Lorenzo (Florenz) mit Blick auf den Hochaltar.

Betrachten wir nun die “kubischen” Abschnitte der Seitenschiffe, an deren Wandseite ein Bogen in eine kleine Kapelle mündet, sehen wir, dass das Verhältnis zwischen dem Bogen des Mittelschiffs und dem seines entsprechenden Kapelle ist 5 zu 3. Diese Zahlen zeigen, dass beide Bögen einen gemeinsamen “Fluchtpunkt” haben und dass für den Betrachter, der sich in der Mitte des Mittelschiffs befindet, der einen dieser Abschnitte betrachtet, die beiden Bögen als zwei aufeinander folgende Schnittpunkte dargestellt werden der “visuellen Pyramide”. Die Bögen und der Schaft der Säulen sind im typischen Dunkelgrau “ gebautpietra serena” um ihre Rolle als wesentliche Artikulationselemente in der Abfolge von Räumen zu unterstreichen. Die gleiche proportionale Abstufung regelt die Verteilung der Lichtintensität: Die Seitenkapellen haben keine Öffnungen nach außen, die Segelgewölbe der Seitenschiffe (wie die des Portikus des Krankenhauses der Unschuldigen) erhalten ein nuanciertes Licht von einem okuli oder kleine runde Fenster, die sich an der Spitze der Bögen jeder Kapelle befinden, während das Mittelschiff in eine gleichmäßig hohe Helligkeit getaucht ist, die durch seine größeren Fenster erzeugt wird, die parallel zum Kirchenschiff über den Säulen verlaufen.

Eine Gesamtansicht der Anordnung und Verteilung des Hauptschiffs, der Seitenschiffe und der Seitenkapellen von San Lorenzo (oben), sie folgen einem präzisen geometrischen Entwurf.

Eine merkwürdige Neuheit von San Lorenzo, die ihm seltene Eleganz verleiht, ist die Anordnung von kubischen Gebälkstücken (mit Architrav, Fries und Gesims) auf jedem Kapitell. Diese Anordnung, die an die großen romanischen und byzantinischen Abakus erinnert, bietet eine luftige Anmut, die genau im Bereich zwischen dem Kapitell und dem Bogen liegt, wo sich die Kräfte von Gewicht und Widerstand treffen. Die Basilika von San Lorenzo gilt als Meilenstein in der Geschichte der Entwicklung der Renaissance-Architektur, und eine Praxis von Brunelleschi (in der Alten Sakristei), die später zu einer Lehre der Renaissance-Architektur wurde, war die Verwendung von weißen Wänden in Kirchen.

Detail einer der Säulen des Hauptschiffs von San Lorenzo. Ganz oben auf dem Kapitell des zusammengesetzten Ordens befindet sich ein kubisches Gebälk (mit Architrav, Fries und Gesims), das das Kapitell mit dem Beginn der Bögen verbindet. Die Basilica di Santo Spirito (Florenz, Italien) wurde zwischen 1444-1487 erbaut.

Die andere Basilika, die Brunelleschi in Florenz entworfen hat, die neue Basilika Santo Spirito (begonnen im Jahr 1444), hat ebenfalls drei Schiffe, die durch Säulenreihen in “ . voneinander getrennt sindpietra serena” die wiederum Bögen aus dem gleichen Material tragen. Wie in der Basilika San Lorenzo wurden auch zwischen den Säulenkapitellen und dem Ausgangspunkt der Bögen kubische Gebälkstücke platziert. Trotz ihrer Ähnlichkeiten zeigt dieses Gebäude neue und überraschende Fortschritte in der Raumbeherrschung. Das Mittelschiff ist genau doppelt so hoch wie die Breite, und seine Breite entspricht der Höhe der Bögen und dem Abstand zwischen ihnen und dem Flachdach des Mittelschiffs. Andererseits haben die Abschnitte der Seitenschiffe die gleiche Länge wie die Breite (dh sie bilden ein Quadrat), ihre Höhe ist jedoch wie im Mittelschiff doppelt so breit. Es ist möglich, dass der Besucher, der diese Kirche betritt, solche Ausmaße nicht sofort wahrnimmt, aber diese sind vorhanden und tragen dazu bei, einen Eindruck von Ordnung und Gelassenheit zu erzeugen. Wie man sieht, ist Santo Spirito auch ein Beispiel für die mathematische Proportion und Harmonie, die in Brunelleschis Werk allgegenwärtig ist, und gilt auch als eines der herausragenden Beispiele der Renaissance-Architektur.

Blick auf das Mittelschiff mit Blick auf den Altar von Santo Spirito.

Der große Unterschied zu San Lorenzo besteht darin, dass in Santo Spirito auch die Seitenkapellen auf einfache Nischen reduziert sind, das Verhältnis zwischen den Bögen des Mittelschiffs und denen der Seitenkapellen – die in San Lorenzo 5 zu 3 waren – in Santo Spirito ist 1 zu 1, was bedeutet, dass die seitlichen Räume nicht perspektivisch abgestuft sind, als wären sie zwei aufeinander folgende Schnittpunkte der “visuellen Pyramide”, sondern sie sind direkt mit den Bögen des Mittelschiffs durch das Querschiff verbunden Bögen der Seitenschiffe. Zusammengefasst bildet der gesamte Raum ein Retikulum dynamischer Elemente, die mit dem dunklen “ gebaut wurdenpietra serena” Das eliminiert die Bedeutung von flachen Oberflächen völlig. Anstelle der gerillten Pilaster, die in San Lorenzo eine Trennung zwischen den Seitenkapellen schufen, platzierte Brunelleschi in Santo Spirito außerdem halb zurückgesetzte Säulen, die die Bögen der Seitennischen stützen, und verbanden sie mit den Querbögen, d zwischen jeweils zwei Nischen scheint die Dynamik des gesamten Tragwerks maximal akzentuiert: Die Säulen werden dann zu einem autonomen plastischen Element, das um sich herum Raum schafft.

Blick auf die Gegenüberstellung der Bögen des Hauptschiffs mit den Bögen der Seitenschiffe, die zu den Seitennischen von Santo Spirito führen.

Zwischen 1430 und 1444 (zwei Jahre vor seinem Tod) leitete Brunelleschi die Arbeiten an der Pazzi-Kapelle im ersten Kreuzgang der Basilica di Santa Croce in Florenz, die von Andrea Pazzi aus der mächtigen Familie Pazzi in Auftrag gegeben wurde und deren Zweck es war als Kapitelsaal oder Treffpunkt für die Mönche dienen. Brunelleschi war für den Plan des Gebäudes verantwortlich, aber Gelehrte diskutieren, ob er an der Ausführung und Detaillierung des Gebäudes beteiligt war oder nicht. Die Inspiration für diese berühmte Kapelle war der Grundriss der alten Sakristei von San Lorenzo, mit dem Unterschied, dass hier die Kuppel nicht auf vier Wänden, sondern auf zwei Wänden und zwei Bögen ruht und der Grundriss nicht quadratisch war aber rechteckig, was sie etwas weniger ausgewogen erscheinen lässt als die alte Sakristei von San Lorenzo. Wie in der Sakristei von San Lorenzo enthält die Pazzi-Kapelle einen kleinen kubischen Raum, der für den Altar reserviert ist und die Linien des kleinen Altars von San Lorenzo wiederholt. Die kleine Kuppel auf Pendentiven, die den Altar der Pazzi-Kapelle bedeckt, sieht aus wie eine Verkleinerung der Kuppel, die den größeren rechteckigen Raum bedeckt, der vier Keramikmedaillons der Evangelisten enthält, von denen angenommen wird, dass sie von Donatello modelliert wurden. Die Wände sind schlicht mit weiteren blau-weißen Medaillons von Luca della Robbia geschmückt, die die sitzenden Apostel darstellen. Della Robbia hat auch die Terrakotta-Dekorationen in der Kuppel der Veranda ausgeführt. Diese Medaillons werden an den Wänden von gerillten Pilastern von “ . begleitetpietra serena” die auf einer Stufe stehen. Im Inneren der Pazzi-Kapelle, perfekt wie ein Diamant, gibt es keine Schatten: Das Licht kommt von den runden Fenstern der Kuppel nach unten und ändert sich im Laufe des Tages, dieses feine Licht, das sich über diese wunderbare Architektur ausbreitet, scheint nicht zu sein ein physisches Licht, aber ein räumliches Licht, so absolut wie der Raum selbst.

Innenansicht der Pazzi-Kapelle im “ersten Kreuzgang” an der Südflanke der Basilica di Santa Croce in Florenz, Italien. Die Kapelle wurde zwischen 1442 und 1443 erbaut. Der kleine Seitenaltar mit seiner Kuppel in der Pazzi-Kapelle, sie wiederholen das Vorbild der Alten Sakristei von San Lorenzo (siehe Bilder oben).

Die Pazzi-Kapelle ist das einzige Werk Brunelleschis, das eine Außenfassade besitzt. Sein Mittelstück sieht aus wie ein Triumphbogen, mit sechs Säulen mit korinthischen Kapitellen, die ein mit Medaillons verziertes Gebälk tragen, darüber befindet sich eine obere Ebene wie ein Fries, die durch Pilaster und einen Mittelbogen unterteilt ist, und all dies wird von einem weiteren Band aus skulptiertem Gebälk gekrönt und oben ein Gesims. Im Inneren ist dieser Portikus mit einem Tonnengewölbe bedeckt, das von einer zentralen Kassettenkuppel unterbrochen wird. Die Funktion dieser Fassade besteht darin, den unbegrenzten Raum voller Sonne des Äußeren vom geometrischen Universum des Inneren der Kapelle zu trennen, weshalb ihre reich verzierten Gewölbe und ihre kleine Kuppel eine Dämmerungszone zwischen ihnen bilden und nur im Inneren zulassen ein hohes und gleichmäßiges Licht, das keine Schatten wirft: das ruhige Licht der Vernunft, das Brunelleschi so sehr liebte.

Tha Fassade der Pazzi-Kapelle im Kreuzgang der Basilica di Santa Croce (Florenz). Die bunte Kuppel und das Kassettentonnengewölbe im Vorbau der Pazzi-Kapelle (Florenz).

Oculus: (Plural Augen, aus dem Lateinischen Oculus, was “Auge” bedeutet). Eine kreisförmige Öffnung in der Mitte einer Kuppel oder in einer Wand. Es stammt aus der Antike und ist ein Merkmal der byzantinischen und neoklassizistischen Architektur.

Pietra Serena: Ein grauer Sandstein, der im Florenz der Renaissance häufig für architektonische Details verwendet wurde. Das in Fiesole (Italien) gewonnene Material gilt als das beste, obwohl es auch in Arezzo, Cortona und Volterra abgebaut wird.


Zugangsoptionen

1 de’ Medicis , Giovanni di Bicci Sterbebett-Anfrage: ‘ pregate Iddio che il mio cammino sia con salute della immortale anima’, in Cavalcanti, Giovanni, Istorie fiorentine, 2 Bde (Florenz, 1838), I, S. 263Google Scholar .

2 Die Literatur über den Baustil der Alten Sakristei und ihren Platz im Werk Brunelleschis ist zu umfangreich, um sie vollständig zu erfassen. Hier sind nur die Studien aufgeführt, die am meisten zu seiner Identität als ikonisches Renaissancegebäude beigetragen haben: von Fabriczy , Cornelius , Filippo Brunelleschi: sein Leben und seine Werke ( Stuttgart , 1892 ), S. 150 –96Google Scholar Sanpaolesi , Piero , Brunellesco e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo ( Pisa , 1948 )Google Scholar Klotz , Heinrich , Filippo Brunelleschi: The Early Works and the Medieval Tradition ( London , 1990 ), S. 118 –29Google Scholar , ursprünglich veröffentlicht als Die Früwerke Brunelleschis und die mittelalterliche Tradition (Berlin, 1970) Battisti , Eugenio , Brunelleschi: Complete Works ( London , 1981 ), S. 79 – 97 Google Scholar , ursprünglich erschienen als Filippo Brunelleschi (Mailand, 1976) Saalman, Howard, Filippo Brunelleschi: The Buildings (London, 1983), S. 113 –43Google Scholar Baldini, Umberto et al. , eds, Brunelleschi e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo ( Florenz , 1989 )Google Scholar Trachtenberg , Marvin , 'Über Brunelleschis alte Sakristei als Vorbild für die Kirchenarchitektur der Frührenaissance ', in L'Eglise dans l'architecture de la Renaissance, ed . Guillaume , Jean ( Paris , 1996 ), S. 9 – 34 Google Scholar Bruschi , Arnaldo , Filippo Brunelleschi ( Mailand , 2006 ), S. 76 – 108 Google Scholar Cohen , Matthew A. , Beyond Beauty: Reexamining Architectural Proportion through the Basilicas von San Lorenzo und Santo Spirito (Venedig, 2013)Google Scholar.

3 Ergänzend zu den oben zitierten Studien siehe auch Kent, Dale, Cosimo de' Medici and the Florentine Renaissance (New Haven and London, 2000), S. 186 –97Google Scholar Ruschi, Pietro, 'La Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo: per un disegno delle vicende costruttive ', in Donatello e la Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo , hrsg. Ruschi, Pietroet al. ( Florenz , 1986 ) Google Scholar Pietro Ruschi, ‘La Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo: storia e architettura’, in Brunelleschi und Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo, Hrsg. Baldini et al., S. 13–27 Paoletti, John T., 'Frömmliche Frömmigkeit und Familienmacht: Die künstlerische Schirmherrschaft von Cosimo und Lorenzo de' Medici', in Cosimo 'il Vecchio' de' Medici, 1389–1464, Hrsg . Ames-Lewis, Francis (Oxford, 1992), S. 195 – 219 Google Scholar Roger Crum, ‘Donatello’s’ Himmelfahrt des Heiligen Johannes des Evangelisten und die Alte Sakristei als Grab’, Artibus et historiae, 16 (1995), S. 141–61 Cornelison, Sally, ‘The Tomb of Giovanni di Bicci de’ Medici and the Old Sacristy at San Lorenzo’, in The Sculpted Object, 1400–1700, hrsg. Currie, Stuart und Motture, Peta (Aldershot, 1997), S. 25 – 42 Google Scholar und San Lorenzo: Eine florentinische Kirche, Hrsg. Robert Gaston und Louis Waldman (Florenz, 2017).

4 Bei diesem Ansatz bin ich Robert Gastons bahnbrechender Studie über Lorenzo, San, „Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo, Florence, 1350–1650“, in Patronage, Art and Society in Renaissance Italy, hrsg. Kent, Francis William und Simons, Patricia (Oxford, 1987), S. 111–33Google Scholar. Dale Kent schlägt auch vor, dass eine solche Neugewichtung in Cosimo de’ Medici, S. 186–97. Zwei Aufsätze, die sich in diese Richtung zu bewegen beginnen, sind Crum, „Donatellos“ Himmelfahrt des Heiligen Johannes“ und Cornelison, „Das Grab des Giovanni di Bicci“.

5 Siehe Ettlinger, L.D. , „ The Liturgical Function of Michelangelo’s Medici Chapel “, Mitteilungen des Kunsthistorischen Institutes in Florenz, 22 (1978), S. 287 – 304 Google Scholar.

6 Obwohl die moderne Literatur dazu neigt, diese Frage zu ignorieren, wurde sie in Domenico Moreni, Continuazione delle memorie istoriche dell'Ambrosiana kaiserliche Basilika di San Lorenzo di Firenze, 2 Bde. (Florenz, 1816), I, p. 22, und wurde in Bezug auf Giovanni di Biccis Sohn Cosimo erforscht: siehe Kent, Cosimo de’ Medici, S. 186–97.

7 Dies war damals der einzige Zugang zur Sakristei. Francesco Caglioti glaubt, dass es eine zweite Tür gab, die den Zugang zur angrenzenden Kapelle St. Cosmas und Damian ermöglichte, die möglicherweise von Anfang an einen zusätzlichen Blick auf die Sakristei ermöglichte – siehe Caglioti, 'La tomba verrocchiesca dei 'Cosmiadi' e la basilica di San Lorenzo: antefatti e primi successi ', Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, Classe di Lettere e Filosofia. Quaderni , 4 (1996), S. 127 –54 Nardinocchi, Elisabetta und Sebregondi, Ludovica (Florenz, 2007), S. 11 – 31 Google Scholar – aber es gibt keine Beweise dafür außer dem umständlichen Vorhandensein einer Öffnung an derselben Stelle im Unterbau. Keine der frühen Zeichnungen der Kirche zeigt hier eine Öffnung: siehe Burns, Howard, 'San Lorenzo in Florence Before the Building of the New Sacristy: An Early Plan', Mitteilungen des Kunsthistorischen Institutes in Florenz, 23 (1979), S. 145 –54Google Scholar . Alle Hinweise auf eine Tür in dieser Position wurden ausgerottet, als Verrocchio einen großen Bogen für die Errichtung des Grabes von Piero und Giovanni de’ Medici einsetzte.

8 Heute ist die Sakristei vom Kirchenschiff aus besser sichtbar als bei ihrem ersten Bau, da sie durch die Öffnung um das Grab von Piero und Giovanni de' Medici herum erblickt werden kann, eine Öffnung, die es bei der Gründung der Alten Sakristei noch nicht gab .

9 Für eine Analyse der Sakristeifunktionen siehe Haines, Margaret, The 'Sacrestia delle Messe' of the Florentine Cathedral (Florenz, 1983). Google Scholar Hamlett, Lydia, 'The Sacristy of San Marco, Venice: Form and Function Illuminated', Art History , 32 ( 2009 ), S. 458 –84CrossRefGoogle Scholar Ashley Elston, 'Storing Sanctity: Sacristy Reliquary Cupboards in Late Medieval and Renaissance Italy' (Doktorarbeit, University of Kansas, 2011) Davies , Paul , ' Giuliano da Sangallo e Anstand negli edifici a pianta centrale: Santa Maria delle Carceri e la Sacrestia di Santo Spirito’, in Giuliano da Sangallo, hrsg. Belluzzi, Amedeo, Elam, Caroline und Fiore, Francesco Paolo (Mailand, 2017), S. 304 –18Google Scholar.

10 Florenz, Archivio di Stato [im Folgenden ASF], Mediceo Avanti il ​​Principato, filza 155, f. 5: „Item quod in cappella Sanctorum Cosme et Damianj que est penes sacristiam novam dicte ecclesie et in cappella Sancti Johannis Evangeliste existente in dicta nova sacristia dicte eclesie constructis et edificatis per dictum Johannicult ad mecrementum divine. Daraus wird deutlich, dass die Kapelle des Hl. Evangelisten Johannes nicht die Sakristei, sondern „in“ der Sakristei ist. Jegliche Restzweifel werden durch eine später im Manuskript (f. 15) beschriebene Beschreibung von „due nobilissime et sumptuose cappelle constructe nuper simul cum una ornatissima sacristia in dicta eclesia per dictum spectabilem et egregium virum Johannem“ ausgeräumt. Dieses Manuskript aus der Mitte des 15. Jahrhunderts, das eine Reihe von Dokumenten enthält, die mit der Gründung von Kanonikern in der Kirche verbunden sind, steht im Mittelpunkt der vorgebrachten Argumente und wird im Folgenden ausführlicher erörtert.

11 Zu Giovanni di Bicci siehe Dami, Brunetto, Giovanni di Bicci dei Medici nella vita politica: ricerche storiche (1400–1429) (Florenz, 1899) Google Scholar De Roover, Raymond, The Rise and Decline of the Medici Bank, 1397– 1494 (Cambridge, MA, 1963) Google Scholar und Kent, Dale, Der Aufstieg der Medici: Fraktion in Florenz 1426–1434 (Oxford, 1978) Google Scholar.

12 Zum Wiederaufbau von San Lorenzo im frühen 15. Jahrhundert und seiner Geschichte siehe Hyman, Isabelle, Fifteenth-Century Florentine Studies: The Palazzo Medici and a Ledger for the Church of San Lorenzo (New York and London, 1977) Google Scholar Saalman, Filippo Brunelleschi, S. 106–209 Caroline Elam, ‘Cosimo de’Medici und San Lorenzo’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, Hrsg. Ames-Lewis, S. 157–80 und Trachtenberg, Marvin, „Building and Writing S. Lorenzo in Florence: Architect, Biographer, Patron, and Prior“, Art Bulletin, 97 (2015), S. 140–72CrossRefGoogle Scholar.

13 Zu Grabtypen siehe Butterfield, Andrew, „Social Structure and the Typology of Funerary Monuments in Early Renaissance Florence“, Res, 26 (1994), S. 47 – 68 Google Scholar. Die Beobachtung über Präferenzen für einen Platz vor dem Hochaltar findet sich auch in Sharon Strocchia, 'Burials in Renaissance Florence' (Doktorarbeit, University of California, Berkeley, 1981), S. 365–67, und Gaston, 'Liturgy und Patronat in San Lorenzo', S. 131.

14 Die Rolle von Giovannni di Bicci beim Patronat der Kapellen wurde in der Literatur vielleicht unbeabsichtigt herabgesetzt. Die Inschriften am Grab und das Dokument, das sich auf die „fondamenti di Chosimo“ (1422) bezieht, haben dazu geführt, dass die Gelehrten die Rolle von Cosimo und Lorenzo im Patronat der Kapellen betonten. Siehe zum Beispiel Kent, Cosimo de' Medici, S. 186–97, und Paoletti, „Fraternal Piety“, S. 195–219. In den frühesten erhaltenen Dokumenten wird Giovanni di Bicci als Patron genannt – siehe ASF, Mediceo Avanti il ​​Principato, filza 155, f. 1v: 'Sane pro parte diletti filij Johannis Bicci de Medicis civis florentini, nobis nuper exhibitiona petitio continebat quod ipse qui de bonis sibj creditis aliquam in celestibus portiunculam dirigere gestiens apud eclesiam forenturben notabilem cum duabus inibj pro Celebratione missarum cappellis sacristiam opere non modicum sumptuoso, de novo edificarj and construj facere coepit ad ipsius Incrementum cultus'.

15 Es sei darauf hingewiesen, dass Giovanni di Biccis Vorliebe für die Sakristei nicht durch die Weihe der Kapelle an den Heiligen Johannes den Evangelisten – Giovannis Namensheiligen – diktiert wurde, da die Widmungen nicht vorherbestimmt waren: Sie hätten leicht ausgetauscht werden können.

16 Zu dieser Beobachtung siehe Saalman, Filippo Brunelleschi, P. 116. Man könnte argumentieren, dass Giovanni di Bicci in der Kapelle der Hl. Cosmas und Damian nirgendwo begraben werden konnte, da die Kapelle über dem Eingang in das Untergeschoss der Kirche stand und es daher keinen festen Boden gab, auf dem er hätte beigesetzt werden können , aber dieses Argument hält einer Überprüfung nicht stand. Die Sakristei hat das gleiche Problem, und er ist tatsächlich in der Pier begraben, die den Boden trägt. Hätte Giovanni di Bicci die Kapelle St. Cosmas und Damian als Mausoleum nutzen wollen, wäre es nicht unmöglich gewesen, einen anderen Zugang zum Untergeschoss zu gestalten, da die Kapelle St. Cosmas und Damian und die Sakristei die ersten Teile waren der neuen Kirche gebaut werden soll.

17 Siehe zum Beispiel Klotz, Filippo Brunelleschi, P. 130. Für nachfolgende Literatur zur Sakristei Santa Trinita siehe Jones, Roger, 'Palla Strozzi e la sagrestia di Santa Trinita', Rivista d'arte, 37 (1984), S. 9–106, Google Scholar, und Bulgarelli, Massimo, ' La sagrestia di Santa Trinita a Firenze: architettura, memoria, rappresentazione ', Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura, 57 / 59 (2011 –12), S. 25 – 36 Google Scholar .

18 Tomas, Natalie R., The Medici Women: Gender and Power in Renaissance Florence (Aldershot, 2003), S. 14 – 16 Google Scholar.

19 Haines, Margaret, „The Sacristy of S. Maria Novella in Florence: The History of its Functions and Furnishings“, Memorie domenicane, 11 (1980), S. 576 – 626 Google Scholar.

20 Zur Hochzeit von Onofrio Strozzi mit Giovanna Cavalcanti siehe Heather Gregory, ‘Palla Strozzi’s Patronage and Pre-Medicean Florence’, in Patronat, Kunst und Gesellschaft im Italien der Renaissance, Hrsg. Kent und Simons, S. 201–20, insb. P. 209.

21 Haines, Die „Sacrestia delle Messe“, S. 23–26.

22 Zur komplizierten Patronatsgeschichte der Sakristei Santa Croce siehe neben den oben zitierten Studien von Haines Jacks , Phillip and Caferro , William , The Spinelli of Florence: Fortunes of a Renaissance Merchant Family ( University Park , PA , 2001 ), S 162 –65Google Scholar .

23 Es wurde noch kein richtiger Überblick über die Sakristei des fünfzehnten Jahrhunderts versucht, und dies würde sich durchaus lohnen.

24 Zum Patronat von Busini der alten Sakristei in San Salvatore al Monte siehe Chiara Capulli, ‘“La Chiesa bellissima di Sancto Francesco in Monte“: Experiencing a Franciscan Observant Church in Renaissance Florence’ (MPhil Dissertation, University of Cambridge, 2016), S. 37. Tommaso di Francesco Busini, der Gründer der Sakristei, wurde 1442 hier begraben.

25 Walter , und Paatz , Elisabeth , Die Kirchen von Florenz: ein kunstgeschichtliches Handbuch , 6 Bände ( Frankfurt am Main , 1940 –54), II, S. 58Google Scholar .

26 Bertagna, Martino, „Il convento dell'Osservanza di Siena e le sue vicende strutturali dal 1495 ai giorni nostri“, Archivum Franciscanum historicum, 57 (1964), S. 110 –53Google Scholar.

27 Trachtenberg, „Zu Brunelleschis alter Sakristei“, S. 9–34.

28 Dieses Beispiel entspricht nicht ganz San Lorenzo. Während die Alte Sakristei der größte „Raum“ in der Kirche war, war sie selbst keine Kapelle, wie oben beschrieben.

29 Gaston, „Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo“, S. 111–33.

30 Cohn, Samuel, Der Kult der Erinnerung und der Schwarze Tod: Sechs Renaissance-Städte in Mittelitalien (Baltimore, MD, 1997)Google Scholar.

31 ‘In nomine domini anni MCCCXXVII del mese di Febraio si difico et comincio questa chappella per Bivigliano et Bartolo et Salvestro Manetti et per Vanni et Pietro Bandini de Baroncielli ad honore et reverentia del nostro signore iddio e della sua madre Beata Vergine Maria Annuntiata al chui onore l'avemo cosi posto nome per rimedio et salute delle nostre anime et di tutti i nostri.’

32 Haines, ‘The Sacristy of S. Maria Novella in Florence’, p. 586, n. 36.

33 De Roover, The Rise and Decline of the Medici Bank, pp. 10–14.

34 See the description of the character of Giovanni di Bicci by his great-nephew in Cavalcanti, Istorie fiorentine, I, pp. 261–68.

35 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155. See, above all, David Peterson, ‘San Lorenzo, the Medici and the Florentine Church in the Late Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries’, in San Lorenzo: A Florentine Church, Hrsg. Gaston and Waldman, pp. 62–102, esp. pp. 81–83. This manuscript was noted in Susan McKillop, ‘Dante and lumen Christi: A Proposal for the Meaning of the Tomb of Cosimo de'Medici’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, Hrsg. Ames-Lewis, pp. 245–301, esp. pp. 264–65 and in Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascension of St John’, p. 148.

36 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, ff. 2r–17r.

37 Although the documents specify that the canonries were established to care for the souls not just of the founder, but also of his family and friends, it is clear that their principal purpose was to care for the former.

38 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, ff. 1r–2r.

41 For the date of the final agreement, see ibid., filza 155, f. 1. Another document, published in Baldini, Brunelleschi e Donatello, P. 102, records that a meeting took place on 8 November. See Florence, Archivio Capitolare di San Lorenzo [hereafter ASL], 2866, Filza di quaderni di ricordi 1389–1533, F. 2r. The description of the meeting provided by the ricordi, however, is so close in detail to the one that definitely took place on 28 November that it is likely the date as written in the libro de ricordi is simply a transcription error.

42 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 17r.

44 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 6v.

45 See, for example, ASL, 2051, f. 1v.

46 See Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, pp. 111–33

47 Inclina domine (from Psalm 86): ‘Turn thy ear, Lord, and listen to me in my helplessness and my need. Protect a life dedicated to thyself rescue a servant of thine that puts his trust in thee. In thee, my own God have mercy, O Lord, for mercy I plead continually comfort thy servant's heart, this heart that aspires, Lord, to thee. Who is so kind and forgiving, Lord, as thou art, who so rich in mercy to all who invoke him? Give a hearing, then, Lord, to my prayer listen to my plea when I cry out to thee in a time of sore distress, counting on thy audience. There is none like thee, Lord, among the gods none can do as thou doest. Lord, all the nations thou hast made must needs come and worship thee, honouring thy name, so great thou art, so marvellous in thy doings, thou who alone art God.’

Deus Veniae Largitur (from Office for the dead): ‘O God the giver of pardon, and the lover of human salvation, we beseech thy clemency: that thou grant the brethren of our congregation, kinsfolk, and benefactors, which are departed out of this world, blessed Mary ever virgin making intercession with all the saints, to come to the fellowship of eternal blessedness.’

Fidelium deus (from Office for the dead): ‘O God the creator, and redeemer of all the faithful, give unto the souls of thy servants — men and women — remission of all their sins: that through Godly supplications they may obtain the pardon which they have always wished for. Who livest and reignest world without end.’

48 The document is dated 21 January 1429 (1430 according to the Gregorian calendar). In it, Giovanni di Bicci, who died on 20 February 1429, is referred to as already dead.

49 The table is based on the various volumes of Obblighi in ASL and on ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155.

50 See Chiffoleau , Jacques , La Comptabilité de l'au-delà: les hommes, la mort et la religion dans la région d'Avignon, à la fin du Moyen Age (vers 1320–vers 1480) ( Rome , 1980 ), pp. 323 –56Google Scholar Johnson , Geraldine , ‘ Activating the Effigy: Donatello's Pecci Tomb in Siena Cathedral ’, Art Bulletin , 77 ( 1995 ), pp. 445 –59CrossRefGoogle Scholar , esp. pp. 454–55.


Firmitas, Utilitas et Venustas

When thinking about three iconic Florentine buildings that best exemplify its architecture, these words come to mind, which were used by the ancient Roman architect Vitruvius to set the standard for good architecture: Firmitas, let’s translate that as permanence Utilitas, as functionality and Venustas, as beauty or delight.

Firmitas |permanence | The Baptistery of San Giovanni

Perhaps the most Florentine of all buildings is the Baptistery of Saint John. Its history dates back millennia: consecrated in 1059, documented in 897, earliest origins uncertain. In medieval Florence, the location of the baptistery was peripheral however, it has been the city’s symbolic center for much of its life. Dedicated to the city’s patron saint, John the Baptist, the building represents a certain Florentine self-identity. Dante himself referred to it as “il mio bel San Giovanni” (“my beautiful Saint John”). Within its polychromed walls, the poet was baptized into his Christian faith and this function is expressed in its architecture. The octagonal shape reminds the faithful of the promise of the eighth day of eternal time. The pure geometric form, clad with green and white marble in similarly pure geometric patterns, suggest the order of a divine plan. The eastern portal, adorned from the 15th century with the glittering Gates of Paradise by Lorenzo Ghiberti (now copies), guided the newly baptized as they processed from the building’s central baptismal font, out into the piazza (paradiso), and then into the eventual cathedral opposite.

Beyond its Christian significance, however, the Baptistery also represents a certain fiorentinità in its architecture, rooted as it is in antiquity and extending its branches to influence the city’s later building. The single volume of its interior reminds us of the Pantheon in Rome, its monumental granite columns are most likely ancient in origin. The marble mosaic pavement is a sister to the coeval one in San Miniato al Monte, while the octagonal cloister vault, here resplendent with golden mosaics, is structurally like the cupola later designed by Filippo Brunelleschi. The blue and red angels of the frieze show up in the Old Sacristy of San Lorenzo, the proportions of the columns appear in the Pazzi Chapel. The patterns of the green and white cladding repeat on the façade of Santa Maria Novella. And it goes on: the legacy of the Baptistery looms large in the architecture of Florence.

Utilitas |functionality | Hospital of the Innocents

Photography by @cultural__e

The Hospital of the Innocents, or Ospedale degli Innocenti, by Filippo Brunelleschi is the building that introduced Renaissance architecture to Florence in 1419. Brunelleschi, while thought to have been inspired by the ancient buildings of Rome, was just as likely to have been influenced by the classicizing spirit of Romanesque buildings in Florence, such as the Baptistery. Here at the Spedale, he employed Corinthian columns and round headed arches, as at the Baptistery but now carved in the cool grey stone known as pietra serena that was to become standard in future Florentine architecture. He organized these stone elements to define a nine-arched portico, or Loggia, according to a simple, lucid geometrical ordering system, characteristic of the Renaissance.

The idea of a portico itself, however, was not an innovation. Just down the street is the portico of the former Ospedale di San Matteo in piazza San Marco. Brunelleschi’s building in piazza Santissima Annunziata, on the other hand, simply gave a new language to a traditional Florentine form that identified a building as a hospital. The Florentines, dating back to the middle ages, had a rather sophisticated social welfare network, with hospitals located throughout the city. The word “hospital” derives from the Latin hospes, meaning both host and guest. Florence had several such institutions that “hosted guests”, be they sick, retired, travelling pilgrims, or, as here, orphans. Bei der Spedale, the loggia housed a ruota (wheel), where one could leave a child orphaned due to parental death, illness or poverty. In turning that wheel, the hospital staff would bring the child inside the building to be cared for. The memory of this function is still seen today in Andrea della Robbia’s colored terracotta reliefs of swaddled infants on the façade and the building’s continued functions as a daycare center, seat of UNICEF, and museum.

Venustas | beauty or delight |Medici Chapels

The Medici Chapels at San Lorenzo, both the Chapel of the Princes and the so-called “New Sacristy” by Michelangelo represent yet another take on Florentine architecture. The octagonal shape and cloister vault of the Chapel of the Princes speak to the very foundation of Florentine architecture, the Baptistery and, by extension, Brunelleschi’s cupola on Florence Cathedral. However, in its colossal scale and rich, colored marble revetments, it reveals an ostentation not usually seen in Florence. On entering this monumental space, one delights in the unexpected and the overwhelming experience takes one’s breath away.

The New Sacristy is beautiful and delightful in another, more erudite way. In the unusual use of classical architectural elements, it seems to be the culmination of Renaissance architecture in Florence. Classical architecture is often referred to as a “language,” and, as with any language, there is a conventional vocabulary and a standardized syntax and grammar that gives meaning to its words. If Brunelleschi’s Hospital of the Innocents, or his Old Sacristy at San Lorenzo, were experiments in reviving the vocabulary of ancient architecture and exploring its simple syntax, Michelangelo’s architectural designs at the New Sacristy seem to revel in the sophisticated use of that language, delighting the viewer with the unexpected juxtaposition of elements, in wordplay and puns as it were. He began his design with the simple geometric forms and grey pietra serena of Brunelleschi’s Old Sacristy at this church too, but then Michelangelo stretched his proportions, added a secondary white Carrara marble architectural system that seems to be sculptural decoration and architecture at the same time, placed heavy solid elements over voids, included unusual ornament that encroaches upon ornament, delighting the eye of all who see it but also delighting the mind of those who know the classical language of architecture well.


Zugangsoptionen

1 de’ Medici's , Giovanni di Bicci deathbed request: ‘ pregate Iddio che il mio cammino sia con salute della immortale anima ’, in Cavalcanti , Giovanni , Istorie fiorentine , 2 vols ( Florence , 1838 ), I, p. 263Google Scholar .

2 The literature on the Old Sacristy's architectural style and its place in Brunelleschi's work is too huge to include in its entirety. Listed here are only the studies that have contributed most to its identity as an iconic Renaissance structure: von Fabriczy , Cornelius , Filippo Brunelleschi: sein Leben und seine Werke ( Stuttgart , 1892 ), pp. 150 –96Google Scholar Sanpaolesi , Piero , Brunellesco e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo ( Pisa , 1948 )Google Scholar Klotz , Heinrich , Filippo Brunelleschi: The Early Works and the Medieval Tradition ( London , 1990 ), pp. 118 –29Google Scholar , originally published as Die Früwerke Brunelleschis und die mittelalterliche Tradition (Berlin, 1970) Battisti , Eugenio , Brunelleschi: Complete Works ( London , 1981 ), pp. 79 – 97 Google Scholar , originally published as Filippo Brunelleschi (Milan, 1976) Saalman , Howard , Filippo Brunelleschi: The Buildings ( London , 1983 ), pp. 113 –43Google Scholar Baldini , Umberto et al. , eds, Brunelleschi e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo ( Florence , 1989 )Google Scholar Trachtenberg , Marvin , ‘ On Brunelleschi's Old Sacristy as Model for Early Renaissance Church Architecture ’, in L'Eglise dans l'architecture de la Renaissance , ed. Guillaume , Jean ( Paris , 1996 ), pp. 9 – 34 Google Scholar Bruschi , Arnaldo , Filippo Brunelleschi ( Milan , 2006 ), pp. 76 – 108 Google Scholar Cohen , Matthew A. , Beyond Beauty: Reexamining Architectural Proportion through the Basilicas of San Lorenzo and Santo Spirito ( Venice , 2013 )Google Scholar .

3 In addition to the studies cited in the previous note, see also Kent , Dale , Cosimo de’ Medici and the Florentine Renaissance ( New Haven and London , 2000 ), pp. 186 –97Google Scholar Ruschi , Pietro , ‘ La Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo: per un disegno delle vicende costruttive ’, in Donatello e la Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo , ed. Ruschi , Pietro et al. ( Florence , 1986 )Google Scholar Pietro Ruschi, ‘La Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo: storia e architettura’, in Brunelleschi e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo, Hrsg. Baldini et al., pp. 13–27 Paoletti , John T. , ‘ Fraternal Piety and Family Power: The Artistic Patronage of Cosimo and Lorenzo de’ Medici ’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, 1389–1464 , ed. Ames-Lewis , Francis ( Oxford , 1992 ), pp. 195 – 219 Google Scholar Roger Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascension of St John the Evangelist and the Old Sacristy as Sepulchre’, Artibus et historiae, 16 (1995), pp. 141–61 Cornelison , Sally , ‘ The Tomb of Giovanni di Bicci de ’ Medici and the Old Sacristy at San Lorenzo’, in The Sculpted Object, 1400–1700 , ed. Currie , Stuart and Motture , Peta ( Aldershot , 1997 ), pp. 25 – 42 Google Scholar and San Lorenzo: A Florentine Church, Hrsg. Robert Gaston and Louis Waldman (Florence, 2017).

4 In taking this approach, I am indebted to Robert Gaston's ground-breaking study of Lorenzo , San , ‘ Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo, Florence, 1350–1650 ’, in Patronage, Art and Society in Renaissance Italy , ed. Kent , Francis William and Simons , Patricia ( Oxford , 1987 ), pp. 111 –33Google Scholar . Dale Kent also proposes that such a rebalancing should be undertaken in Cosimo de’ Medici, pp. 186–97. Two essays that begin to move in this direction are Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascension of St John’, and Cornelison, ‘The Tomb of Giovanni di Bicci’.

5 See Ettlinger , L.D. , ‘ The Liturgical Function of Michelangelo's Medici Chapel ’, Mitteilungen des Kunsthistorischen Institutes in Florenz , 22 ( 1978 ), pp. 287 – 304 Google Scholar .

6 Although the modern literature tends to ignore the question, it was raised in Domenico Moreni, Continuazione delle memorie istoriche dell'Ambrosiana imperial basilica di San Lorenzo di Firenze, 2 vols (Florence, 1816), I, p. 22, and has been explored in relation to Giovanni di Bicci's son Cosimo: see Kent, Cosimo de’ Medici, pp. 186–97.

7 This was the only point of access to the sacristy at the time. Francesco Caglioti believes that there was a second door giving access to the adjacent chapel of Sts Cosmas and Damian that may have provided an additional view of the sacristy from the outset — see Caglioti , , ‘ La tomba verrocchiesca dei ‘Cosmiadi’ e la basilica di San Lorenzo: antefatti e primi successi ’, Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, Classe di Lettere e Filosofia. Quaderni , 4 ( 1996 ), pp. 127 –54Google Scholar also Sebregondi , Ludovica , ‘ Alle radici della Sagrestia Vecchia: Brunelleschi, i Medici, i confratelli del Santissimo Sacramento ’, in Il Tesoro di San Lorenzo , ed. Nardinocchi , Elisabetta and Sebregondi , Ludovica ( Florence , 2007 ), pp. 11 – 31 Google Scholar — but there is no evidence for it other than the circumstantial presence of an opening in the same position in the undercroft. None of the early drawings of the church shows an opening here: see Burns , Howard , ‘ San Lorenzo in Florence Before the Building of the New Sacristy: An Early Plan ’, Mitteilungen des Kunsthistorischen Institutes in Florenz , 23 ( 1979 ), pp. 145 –54Google Scholar . Any evidence of a door in this position was eradicated when a large arch was inserted by Verrocchio for the erection of the Tomb of Piero and Giovanni de’ Medici.

8 Today the sacristy is more visible from the nave than it would have been when first built as it can be glimpsed through the opening around the tomb of Piero and Giovanni de’ Medici, an opening that did not exist when the Old Sacristy was first conceived.

9 For an analysis of sacristy functions, see Haines , Margaret , The ‘Sacrestia delle Messe’ of the Florentine Cathedral ( Florence , 1983 )Google Scholar Hamlett , Lydia , ‘ The Sacristy of San Marco, Venice: Form and Function Illuminated ’, Art History , 32 ( 2009 ), pp. 458 –84CrossRefGoogle Scholar Ashley Elston, ‘Storing Sanctity: Sacristy Reliquary Cupboards in Late Medieval and Renaissance Italy’ (doctoral thesis, University of Kansas, 2011) Davies , Paul , ‘ Giuliano da Sangallo e decorum negli edifici a pianta centrale: Santa Maria delle Carceri e la Sacrestia di Santo Spirito ’, in Giuliano da Sangallo , ed. Belluzzi , Amedeo , Elam , Caroline and Fiore , Francesco Paolo ( Milan , 2017 ), pp. 304 –18Google Scholar .

10 Florence, Archivio di Stato [hereafter ASF], Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 5: ‘Item quod in cappella Sanctorum Cosme et Damianj que est penes sacristiam novam dicte ecclesie et in cappella Sancti Johannis Evangeliste existente in dicta nova sacristia dicte eclesie constructis et edificatis per dictum Johannem ad incrementum divini cultus in eclesia memorata’. From this, it is clear that the chapel of St John the Evangelist is not the sacristy, but ‘in’ the sacristy. Any residual doubt is dispelled by a description later in the manuscript (f. 15) of ‘due nobilissime et sumptuose cappelle constructe nuper simul cum una ornatissima sacristia in dicta eclesia per dictum spectabilem et egregium virum Johannem’. This mid-fifteenth-century manuscript, which contains a series of documents associated with the establishment of canonries at the church, is central to the arguments advanced and is discussed in greater detail below.

11 For Giovanni di Bicci, see Dami , Brunetto , Giovanni di Bicci dei Medici nella vita politica: ricerche storiche (1400–1429) ( Florence , 1899 )Google Scholar De Roover , Raymond , The Rise and Decline of the Medici Bank, 1397–1494 ( Cambridge, MA , 1963 )Google Scholar and Kent , Dale , The Rise of the Medici: Faction in Florence 1426–1434 ( Oxford , 1978 )Google Scholar .

12 For the early fifteenth-century rebuilding of San Lorenzo and its history, see Hyman , Isabelle , Fifteenth-Century Florentine Studies: The Palazzo Medici and a Ledger for the Church of San Lorenzo ( New York and London , 1977 )Google Scholar Saalman, Filippo Brunelleschi, pp. 106–209 Caroline Elam, ‘Cosimo de'Medici and San Lorenzo’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, Hrsg. Ames-Lewis, pp. 157–80 and Trachtenberg , Marvin , ‘ Building and Writing S. Lorenzo in Florence: Architect, Biographer, Patron, and Prior ’, Art Bulletin , 97 ( 2015 ), pp. 140 –72CrossRefGoogle Scholar .

13 For tomb types, see Butterfield , Andrew , ‘ Social Structure and the Typology of Funerary Monuments in Early Renaissance Florence ’, Res , 26 ( 1994 ), pp. 47 – 68 Google Scholar . The observation about preferences for a site in front of the high altar is also made in Sharon Strocchia, ‘Burials in Renaissance Florence’ (doctoral dissertation, University of California, Berkeley, 1981), pp. 365–67, and Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, p. 131.

14 Giovannni di Bicci's role in the patronage of the chapels has been perhaps unintentionally minimised in the literature. The inscriptions on the tomb and the document that refers to the ‘fondamenti di Chosimo’ (1422) have tended to lead scholars to emphasise the roles of Cosimo and Lorenzo in the patronage of the chapels. See, for example, Kent, Cosimo de' Medici, pp. 186–97, and Paoletti, ‘Fraternal Piety’, pp. 195–219. It is Giovanni di Bicci who is named as patron in the earliest surviving documents — see ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 1v: ‘Sane pro parte diletti filij Johannis Bicci de Medicis civis florentini, nobis nuper exhibita petitio continebat quod ipse qui de bonis sibj creditis aliquam in celestibus portiunculam dirigere gestiens apud eclesiam Sanctj Laurentij florentinj in qua preter priorem eiusdem novem canonicatus et totidem prebende fore noscantur notabilem cum duabus inibj pro celebratione missarum cappellis sacristiam opere non modicum sumptuoso, de novo edificarj et construj facere coepit ad ipsius incrementum cultus’.

15 It should be noted that Giovanni di Bicci's preference for the sacristy was not dictated by the dedication of its chapel to St John the Evangelist — Giovanni's name saint — as the dedications were not preordained: they could easily have been swapped.

16 For this observation, see Saalman, Filippo Brunelleschi, P. 116. It might be argued that there was nowhere for Giovanni di Bicci to be buried in the chapel of Sts Cosmas and Damian as the chapel stood over the entrance into the church's undercroft and thus there was no solid ground in which he could have been interred, but this argument does not stand up to scrutiny. The sacristy has the same problem, and he is in fact buried in the pier supporting the floor. Had Giovanni di Bicci wished to use the chapel of Sts Cosmas and Damian as his mausoleum, it would not have been impossible to design a different access point to the undercroft, given that the chapel of Sts Cosmas and Damian and the sacristy were the first parts of the new church to have been built.

17 See, for example, Klotz, Filippo Brunelleschi, P. 130. For subsequent literature on the Santa Trinita sacristy, see Jones , Roger , ‘ Palla Strozzi e la sagrestia di Santa Trinita ’, Rivista d'arte , 37 ( 1984 ), pp. 9 – 106 Google Scholar , and Bulgarelli , Massimo , ‘ La sagrestia di Santa Trinita a Firenze: architettura, memoria, rappresentazione ’, Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura , 57 / 59 ( 2011 –12), pp. 25 – 36 Google Scholar .

18 Tomas , Natalie R. , The Medici Women: Gender and Power in Renaissance Florence ( Aldershot , 2003 ), pp. 14 – 16 Google Scholar .

19 Haines , Margaret , ‘ The Sacristy of S. Maria Novella in Florence: The History of its Functions and Furnishings ’, Memorie domenicane , 11 ( 1980 ), pp. 576 – 626 Google Scholar .

20 For the marriage of Onofrio Strozzi to Giovanna Cavalcanti, see Heather Gregory, ‘Palla Strozzi's Patronage and Pre-Medicean Florence’, in Patronage, Art, and Society in Renaissance Italy, Hrsg. Kent and Simons, pp. 201–20, esp. P. 209.

21 Haines, The ‘Sacrestia delle Messe’, pp. 23–26.

22 For the complicated patronage history of the Santa Croce sacristy, besides the studies of Haines cited above, see Jacks , Phillip and Caferro , William , The Spinelli of Florence: Fortunes of a Renaissance Merchant Family ( University Park, PA , 2001 ), pp. 162 –65Google Scholar .

23 No proper survey of fifteenth-century sacristies has yet been attempted, and this would be well worth pursuing.

24 For the Busini patronage of the old sacristy in San Salvatore al Monte, see Chiara Capulli, ‘“La Chiesa bellissima di Sancto Francesco in Monte”: Experiencing a Franciscan Observant Church in Renaissance Florence’ (MPhil dissertation, University of Cambridge, 2016), p. 37. Tommaso di Francesco Busini, the sacristy's founder, was buried there in 1442.

25 Walter , and Paatz , Elisabeth , Die Kirchen von Florenz: ein kunstgeschichtliches Handbuch , 6 vols ( Frankfurt am Main , 1940 –54), II, p. 58Google Scholar .

26 Bertagna , Martino , ‘ Il convento dell'Osservanza di Siena e le sue vicende strutturali dal 1495 ai giorni nostri ’, Archivum Franciscanum historicum , 57 ( 1964 ), pp. 110 –53Google Scholar .

27 Trachtenberg, ‘On Brunelleschi's Old Sacristy’, pp. 9–34.

28 This example does not entirely correspond to San Lorenzo. While the Old Sacristy was the largest ‘space’ in the church, it was not itself a chapel, as discussed above.

29 Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, pp. 111–33.

30 Cohn , Samuel , The Cult of Remembrance and the Black Death: Six Renaissance Cities in Central Italy ( Baltimore, MD , 1997 )Google Scholar .

31 ‘In nomine domini anni MCCCXXVII del mese di Febraio si difico et comincio questa chappella per Bivigliano et Bartolo et Salvestro Manetti et per Vanni et Pietro Bandini de Baroncielli ad honore et reverentia del nostro signore iddio e della sua madre Beata Vergine Maria Annuntiata al chui onore l'avemo cosi posto nome per rimedio et salute delle nostre anime et di tutti i nostri.’

32 Haines, ‘The Sacristy of S. Maria Novella in Florence’, p. 586, n. 36.

33 De Roover, The Rise and Decline of the Medici Bank, pp. 10–14.

34 See the description of the character of Giovanni di Bicci by his great-nephew in Cavalcanti, Istorie fiorentine, I, pp. 261–68.

35 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155. See, above all, David Peterson, ‘San Lorenzo, the Medici and the Florentine Church in the Late Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries’, in San Lorenzo: A Florentine Church, Hrsg. Gaston and Waldman, pp. 62–102, esp. pp. 81–83. This manuscript was noted in Susan McKillop, ‘Dante and lumen Christi: A Proposal for the Meaning of the Tomb of Cosimo de'Medici’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, Hrsg. Ames-Lewis, pp. 245–301, esp. pp. 264–65 and in Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascension of St John’, p. 148.

36 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, ff. 2r–17r.

37 Although the documents specify that the canonries were established to care for the souls not just of the founder, but also of his family and friends, it is clear that their principal purpose was to care for the former.

38 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, ff. 1r–2r.

41 For the date of the final agreement, see ibid., filza 155, f. 1. Another document, published in Baldini, Brunelleschi e Donatello, P. 102, records that a meeting took place on 8 November. See Florence, Archivio Capitolare di San Lorenzo [hereafter ASL], 2866, Filza di quaderni di ricordi 1389–1533, F. 2r. The description of the meeting provided by the ricordi, however, is so close in detail to the one that definitely took place on 28 November that it is likely the date as written in the libro de ricordi is simply a transcription error.

42 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 17r.

44 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 6v.

45 See, for example, ASL, 2051, f. 1v.

46 See Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, pp. 111–33

47 Inclina domine (from Psalm 86): ‘Turn thy ear, Lord, and listen to me in my helplessness and my need. Protect a life dedicated to thyself rescue a servant of thine that puts his trust in thee. In thee, my own God have mercy, O Lord, for mercy I plead continually comfort thy servant's heart, this heart that aspires, Lord, to thee. Who is so kind and forgiving, Lord, as thou art, who so rich in mercy to all who invoke him? Give a hearing, then, Lord, to my prayer listen to my plea when I cry out to thee in a time of sore distress, counting on thy audience. There is none like thee, Lord, among the gods none can do as thou doest. Lord, all the nations thou hast made must needs come and worship thee, honouring thy name, so great thou art, so marvellous in thy doings, thou who alone art God.’

Deus Veniae Largitur (from Office for the dead): ‘O God the giver of pardon, and the lover of human salvation, we beseech thy clemency: that thou grant the brethren of our congregation, kinsfolk, and benefactors, which are departed out of this world, blessed Mary ever virgin making intercession with all the saints, to come to the fellowship of eternal blessedness.’

Fidelium deus (from Office for the dead): ‘O God the creator, and redeemer of all the faithful, give unto the souls of thy servants — men and women — remission of all their sins: that through Godly supplications they may obtain the pardon which they have always wished for. Who livest and reignest world without end.’

48 The document is dated 21 January 1429 (1430 according to the Gregorian calendar). In it, Giovanni di Bicci, who died on 20 February 1429, is referred to as already dead.

49 The table is based on the various volumes of Obblighi in ASL and on ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155.

50 See Chiffoleau , Jacques , La Comptabilité de l'au-delà: les hommes, la mort et la religion dans la région d'Avignon, à la fin du Moyen Age (vers 1320–vers 1480) ( Rome , 1980 ), pp. 323 –56Google Scholar Johnson , Geraldine , ‘ Activating the Effigy: Donatello's Pecci Tomb in Siena Cathedral ’, Art Bulletin , 77 ( 1995 ), pp. 445 –59CrossRefGoogle Scholar , esp. pp. 454–55.


Church of Santo Spirito

It was designed by Filippo Brunelleschi he started the designs for the church as early as 1428. Brunelleschi followed a very strict geometrical plan to design a perfection of forms plus proportion. The first pillars of the church were delivered in the year 1446, ten days before he died. After he died, the works were continued by his followers Giovanni da Gaiole, Antonio Manetti and Salvi d'Andrea also, the latter was responsible for the cupola construction.

Unlike Basilica di San Lorenzo, where the ideas of Brunelleschi thwarted, here, Brunelleschi's ideas were followed with some level of fidelity, in the ground plan as well as up to the arcades level. The Latin cross plan was designed like that to maximise the grid legibility. Also, the contrast between transept and nave that caused the difficulty at Basilica di San Lorenzo, was avoided. The chapel sides, in niches form, which is all the same size, run along the whole perimeter of the space.

The facade that Brunelleschi designed was never built, it was left blank and plastered over later. In the year 1489, an octagonal sacristy and columned vestibule designed by Giuliano da Sangallo and Il Cronaca (Simone del Pollaiolo) respectively, were built, this was to the left side of this building. A door was then opened up in the chapel to make the link to the church.

In 1601, Gherardo Silvani and Giovanni Battista Caccini added a Baroque baldachin that has polychrome marbles over the high altar. The Church of Santo Spirito remained undecorated until the eighteenth century when its walls were plastered. Salvi d'Andrea designed the inner façade, and it still has the original window (made of glass) with the Pentecost that Pietro Perugino designed. Baccio d'Agnolo designed the bell tower in 1503. The exterior of this building was restored in the year 1977-78.

The Church of Santo Spirito is characterised by columns dividing the church into 3 aisles, and they surround the high altar, similar to S. Lorenzo. On the side walls, there are pilasters and the building has a coffered ceiling, which wasn't part of the building's original design. Brunelleschi designed the ceiling to be left open for a beautiful image of the walls that reach up to the heavens. That was, and it still is, a classic design by Brunelleschi: a cavernous but still harmonious space. As Brunelleschi did in S. Lorenzo church, the classic mathematically symmetric architecture was emphasised by dark grey pietra serena stonework and white walls. Moreover, more emphasis was added using the colour contrast: the stone beautifully stretches in arches from a column to the next one.

Notably inapposite, is a fanciful carved, ornate, and a high altar Baldacchino that's statue-studded, a baroque work dating from the early seventeenth century. Between the mid-late 1400s, the battle of the pulpits occurred here. It was between a Dominican friar known as Savonarola, who for a while used to be a great influence, especially on the civic and religious affairs of Florence as well as Mariano da Genazzano, a public Girolamo Savonarola opponent who spent his life studying the Augustine teachings.

When people are walking around the outside of this church, they'll be struck by its stark appearance: there are no decorations like those of San Miniato or Santa Croce, or ornamentation and pillars like that seen in Santa Trinita. However, it wasn't left unfinished like S. Lorenzo. Alongside the building's exterior wall, the coats of arms are seen over the windows. They belonged to those families whose chapels are seen on the other side of these windows. The actual façade is typically from 1792, and it was decorated mainly with painted architectural detailing, which was later removed in the sixties during restoration work.

Brunelleschi envisioned all the sides of this church flanked with a loggia, same as that seen at Innocenti Museum located in Piazza Santissima. However, it did not come about as that would have required the façade to be changed. Also, Brunelleschi originally wanted the piazza and church facade to overlook the 241-kilometre river Arno, but it was not possible to purchase all the property that was on the other side because not everyone was willing to sell the property. The interior of the church hosts a wealth of attractive pieces of artwork. A stroll through the Santo Spirito church plus the abundant natural light, definitely makes it easy to acknowledge the beauty within. The pieces in the church include works by Andrea Orcagna, Michelangelo and Perugino.

The Church of Santo Spirito has a history that is unique. The Augustinian monastery that is annexed to this church used to be a meeting place for scholars. The early humanists met here: both Giovanni Boccaccio and Francesco Petrarca were regular guests in this church. Giovanni left the library he had to the convent. The earlier church provided hospitality to an eighteen-year-old Michelangelo (an Italian architect, painter, sculptor plus poet of the High Renaissance) after the death of Lorenzo Il Magnifico (his patron). The church allowed Michelangelo to dissect as well as study the bodies that were coming from the hospital of the convent. Studying human anatomy was an essential part of the education of an artist. In exchange for that privilege, he sculpted a wooden crucifix visible in the Sacristy. It is a frail, languid adolescent Christ, far from the powerful figures that the artist worked on later, but quite touching in his vulnerability.


7. Palazzo di Parte Guelfa hall

Die Palazzo di Parte Guelfa is a historic building in Florence which used to serve as the headquarters of the Guelph party in the city. It was built during the Middle Ages in the 13th century.

Brunelleschi is credited with the design of the hall on the first floor which was built between 1420 and 1445. Multiple additions were made to the building later on and it has been restored several times over the centuries. The Palazzo / Sailko / https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.en


Basilica of San Lorenzo By Filippo Brunelleschi #ilmaBlog #Architecture #History

The Basilica of San Lorenzo is considered a milestone in the development of Renaissance architecture. The basilca has a complicated building history. The project was begun around 1419, under direction of Filippo Brunelleschi, Lack of funding slowed the construction and forced changes to the original design. By the early 1440s, only the sacristy (now called the Old Sacristy) had been worked on as it was being paid for by the Medici.

In 1442, the Medici stepped in to take over financial responsibility of the church as well. Brunelleschi died in 1446, however, and the job was handed either to Antonio Manetti or to Michelozzo scholars are not certain. Though the building was “completed” in 1459 in time for a visit to Florence by Pius II, the chapels along the right-hand aisles were still being built in the 1480s and 1490s.

By the time the building was done, aspects of its layout and detailing no longer corresponded to the original plan. The principal difference is that Brunelleschi had envisioned the chapels along the side aisles to be deeper, and to be much like the chapels in the transept, the only part of the building that is known to have been completed to Brunelleschi’s design.

The most celebrated and grandest part of San Lorenzo are the Cappelle Medicee (Medici Chapels) in the apse. The Medici were still paying for it when the last member of the family, Anna Maria Luisa de’ Medici, died in 1743. Almost fifty lesser members of the family are buried in the crypt. The final design (1603–1604) was by Bernardo Buontalenti, based on models of Alessandro Pieroni and Matteo Nigetti. Above is the Cappella dei Principi(Chapel of the Princes), a great but awkwardly domed octagonal hall where the grand dukes themselves are buried.

The style shows Mannerist eccentricities in its unusual shape, broken cornices, and asymmetrically sized windows. In the interior, the ambitious decoration with colored marbles overwhelms the attempts at novel design (Wittkower, R. p. 126). At its centre was supposed to be the Holy Sepulchre itself, although attempts to buy and then steal it from Jerusalem failed.

For more information on the work of Filippo Brunelleschi click here.

We would love to hear from you on what you think about this post. We sincerely appreciate all your comments – and – if you like this post please share it with friends. And feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss ideas for your next project!


Schau das Video: Brunelleschi, Old Sacristy (Dezember 2021).