Nachrichten

Geschichte von Wando II - Geschichte

Geschichte von Wando II - Geschichte

Wando II

(Schlepper Nr. 17: dp. 575 (n.); 1. 123'6 1/2"; T. 26'8", dr.
11'6'' (Mittelwert); kpl. 23; A. 2 3-Par.; kl. Wando)

Der zweite Wando (Schlepper Nr. 17) wurde am 14. Juni 1915 von der Charleston (S.C.) Navy Yard am 7. März 1916 vom Stapel gelassen und am 3. April 1917 unter dem Kommando von Bootsmann J. W. Bettens in Dienst gestellt.

Wando blieb bis zum 15. April in Charleston, als sie sich auf den Weg nach New England machte und mit der Fähre Wave im Schlepptau über Lynnhaven Roads, VA., und den New York Navy Yard nach Norden dampfte und sechs Tage später in Newport ankam. Der Schlepper zog nach Boston, Massachusetts – über den Cape Cod Canal – kurz darauf schleppte der Schlepper am 25. über Philadelphia, nach Charleston am 19. Mai mit dem Schleppen des Torpedobootes Barney.

Nach kurzen Dienstreisen in Georgetown, S.C., und Jacksonville, Florida, segelte Wando nach Hampton Roads VA. und ankerte am 11. Juni mit der Flotte im York River. Im Laufe des Sommers führte der Schlepper verschiedene Dienstaufgaben aus - hauptsächlich das Schleppen von Zielen und Feuerzeugen; Verschieben von Zielflößen und Anpflanzen von Bojen – aus Tangier Sound und Yorktown, VA. Während dieser Zeit unterstützte sie am 6. Juli das geerdete Schlachtschiff Louisiana (Schlachtschiff Nr. 19).

Mitte August wurde Wando im Norfolk Navy Yard repariert und erhielt dort eine "Minensuchausrüstung". Sie verließ Norfolk am 23. August in Richtung New Yorker Gewässer und erreichte am Morgen des 25. "Base 10" - Port Jefferson, Long Island. Von dort verlagerte sich der Schlepper nach New London, Connecticut, wo sie zusätzliche Minensuchausrüstung von Baltimore erhielt. Am Abend des 8. September schiffte Wando Captain Reginald R. Belknap, Commander, Mine Force, ein und transportierte ihn nach Newport, R.I., wo er später am Abend ankam. Anschließend verrichtete der Schlepper vom 10. bis 13. September Bojen- und Netzpflegefunktionen vor dem Cornfield Light Vessel.

Wando kehrte am 16. nach New London zurück und ließ am folgenden Tag weitere Minensuchgeräte installieren. Sie transportierte Capt. Belknap erneut als Passagier von New London nach Newport, bevor sie nach Norfolk fuhr. Für den Rest des Septembers operierte Wando in "Base One", Tangier Sound, legte Zielflöße fest, arbeitete an Zielanlegestellen und führte kurze Fahrten für Reparaturen oder Vorräte im Norfolk Navy Yard durch. Wando blieb anschließend während der Herbstmonate und bis in den Winter in der Region Chesapeake Bay-Hampton Roads-Tanger Sound.

Am 19. November 1917 von ihrem Dienst bei der Mine Force abgelöst, nahm Wando ihren Betrieb mit dem Atlantic Fleet Train wieder auf. Sie führte jedoch bis Ende März 1918 weiterhin die gleichen grundlegenden Aufgaben aus, diente als Ziel- / Netztender und lieferte Post und Depeschen. und später Bojen an der Potomac River Torpedo Range, vor der Mündung des St. Mary's River.

Wando wurde Anfang 1919 zum ersten Mal in der Karibik eingesetzt. Unterwegs von Norfolk am 6. Februar 1919 erreichte der Schlepper am 14. Februar Guantanamo Bay mit Ponton Nr. 23 im Schlepptau. Sie erfüllte ihre glanzlosen Dienstfunktionen für die Flotte – Schleppen von Zielen, Feuerzeugen, Lastkähnen und Zustellung von Männern und Post – in kubanischen Gewässern (Guantanamo Bay, Guacanamail Bay und Manzanillo Bay), bis sie am 17. April nach Hause ging.

Am 18. in New York angekommen, zog Wando anschließend nach Hoboken, N.J., wo sie in den ersten Maitagen repariert wurde. Am 6. Mai kehrte Wando nach Norfolk zurück, schleppte Ziele und führte bis Mitte Juli mit dem Atlantic Fleet Train allgemeine Hilfsdienste durch und operierte dann in Gewässern vor dem nördlichen Teil der Ostküste von Newport, New London und New York aus. Sie blieb vom 10. August 1919 bis zum 10. Januar 1920 in New York City.

Auf dem Weg nach Norfolk am letzten Tag kam Wando dort am nächsten Tag an, segelte aber am 14. nach Süden nach Charleston und erreichte diesen Hafen am 16.. Am 26. Januar 1920 vom Atlantic Fleet Train abgelöst, wurde Wando gleichzeitig als Werftfahrzeug bei der Charleston Navy Yard eingesetzt, ihre Besatzung reduzierte sich auf 14 Mann. Während ihres aktiven Dienstes in Charleston wurde sie am 17. Juli 1920 während der flottenweiten Vergabe alphanumerischer Rumpfnummern als AT-17 klassifiziert.

Wando operierte im 6. Naval District von Charleston aus bis zum 18. April 1922, als sie außer Dienst gestellt und in Reserve gestellt wurde.

Am 15. März 1933 im Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, Kalifornien, wieder in Dienst gestellt, wurde Wando am 27. Februar 1936 von einem Seeschlepper (AT) in einen Hafenschlepper YT-123 umklassifiziert. Am 15. April 1944 wurde sie erneut zu einem großen Hafenschlepper, YTB-123, umklassifiziert – eine Klassifizierung, die sie für den Rest ihres aktiven Marinedienstes trug.

Nach ihrer Wiederinbetriebnahme für den Betrieb auf der Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington, wurde Wando dem 13. Am 3. Juli 1946 schließlich außer Dienst gestellt und außer Dienst gestellt, wurde Wando zur Entsorgung an die Kriegsschifffahrtsverwaltung der Maritime Commission übergeben. Ihr Name wurde am 30. Dezember 1946 von der Navy-Liste gestrichen und am 28. April 1947 von der Puget Sound Tug and Barge Co. erworben.


Geschichte & Kulturerbe

Vor dem 17. Jahrhundert: Die Wildnis, die von verschiedenen Flüssen umgeben ist, die in und um das Lowcountry fließen, wurde Tausende von Jahren von Tidewater-Indianern bewohnt, bevor die Europäer ankamen. Alle waren erfahrene Jäger und lebten von den Reichtümern des Landes und der Gewässer. Die amerikanischen Ureinwohner nutzten den Broad Path, der dem Ashley River folgte, um mit benachbarten Stämmen zu handeln.

1600: Einige Indianerstämme unterstützten englische Kolonisten bei der Durchsuchung des Gebiets, um Siedlungen zu bauen. Stämme wie die Wando, Etiwan, Kiawah und Sewee halfen den Engländern, sich gegen spanische Überfälle zu verteidigen. Die Stämme der Stono und Kussoe waren dafür bekannt, frühe Siedler mit Angriffen zu bedrohen. Entlang der Ufer des Ashley River und im gesamten Gebiet wurden Gehöfte und Farmen errichtet.

1700: Über 60 Plantagen wurden zwischen den Flüssen Ashley und Cooper angelegt, wie Accabee, Archdale, Belmont, Elms, Windsor, Marshlands, Oak Grove, White Hall, Turnbull und andere. Große botanische und gartenbauliche Fortschritte erzielten Eliza Lucas Pinkney mit der Herstellung von Seide und Indigo Phillipe Noisette mit der Entwicklung der international bekannten Rose Noisette und Andre Michaux, der Vater des amerikanischen Gartenbaus, der einen botanischen Garten (in der Nähe des heutigen Aviation Ave.) und brachte neue Pflanzen wie Kamelien und Mimosen in das Gebiet.

Während der Amerikanischen Revolution (1775-1783): Der Broad Path wurde als Road to Dorchester (jetzt Dorchester Road) bekannt und wurde von britischen Truppen als Hauptstraße von ihrem britischen Fort Dorchester nach Charles Towne genutzt. Das Quarter House Inn auf diesem Weg wurde als britische Garnison gegründet.

1800: Die ersten Eisenbahnschienen wurden von Charleston in die North Area in der Nähe der heutigen Rivers Avenue verlegt. Landwirtschaft und Holzfällerei waren Anfang des 19. Jahrhunderts von entscheidender Bedeutung, und der Abbau von Phosphat zur Verwendung in Düngemitteln führte nach dem Bürgerkrieg zu einem wirtschaftlichen Aufschwung. Liberty Hill, das älteste Viertel in der North Area, wurde von Freigelassenen gegründet, die um 1864 Land kauften und Häuser und Farmen für ihre Familien bauten. 1898 wurden zwei Plantagen entlang des Cooper River gekauft, um den Chicora Park zu schaffen, der von Olmstead entworfen wurde Brothers, als Tagesziel für wohlhabende Charlestonians.

Die EP Burton Lumber Co. operierte in den 1890er Jahren auf 5.000 Acres zwischen der Charleston Naval Base und Goose Creek. Da wurde der Bereich geräumt und Holz geschnitten. Burton hat das Land verkauft. Bis 1912 wurden Teile des Trakts an Oakdene Cotton Compress, Texaco, und die Read Phosphate Co. verkauft.

1900-1972: Chicora Park wurde von der Marine gekauft und die Charleston Naval Yard wurde 1901 gegründet. Die Werft verfügte über den größten Pier und das größte Trockendock an der Ostküste, das vor dem Ersten Weltkrieg für Schiffbau und Reparaturen genutzt wurde. The Naval Shipyard and Naval Während des Zweiten Weltkriegs expandierte die Basis noch weiter und blieb bis zu ihrer Schließung im Januar 1996 aktiv. Fast 100 Jahre lang unterstützte der Naval Yard die Wirtschaft und die Entwicklung von North Charleston als neue Stadt, die auf den Planungsprinzipien der fortschrittlichen Ära beruhte.

Der Bürgermeister von Charleston, R. Goodwyn Rhett, leitete eine Gruppe von Investoren, die die North Charleston Corp. und die Filbin Corp. organisierten. Nachdem sie das Burton-Gebiet gekauft hatten, entwarf WB Marquis von Olmsted Brothers Engineering Co. die geplante Stadt. Im Jahr 1914 wurde die North Charleston Development Corp organisiert, um Häuser für die Gegend zu bauen. Im selben Jahr zogen die ersten Bewohner dorthin. Zu dieser Zeit entstand der Begriff „North Charleston“.

Bis 1925 wurden die North Charleston Corp und die Filbin Corp. als Charleston Farms reorganisiert. Es wurde in diesem Jahr von der North Charleston Co. übernommen.

Nach der Finanzpanik von 1929 erwarb Joseph Franc die Kontrolle über die Holding. Er kaufte auch weitere 44 Hektar des Grundstücks, einschließlich Park Circle.

1930 gab es im Norden nur 2.000 Einwohner und die Nation befand sich in einer Depression. West Virginia Pulp and Paper Co. zog jedoch in die Gegend und schuf viele Arbeitsplätze und die Wohnbevölkerung nahm zu.

Ein öffentlicher Dienstbezirk wurde 1934 gebildet, um das Gebiet mit Straßenlaternen, Wasser, Abwasser, Müllentsorgung und Brandschutz zu versorgen. Ebenfalls 1934 stellte die Bundesverwaltung für öffentliche Arbeiten ein Gemeindezentrum und ein Gymnasium an der North Charleston High School fertig.

Die Einwohnerzahl betrug damals mehr als 4.000. Es wuchs 1940 schnell, als der Zweite Weltkrieg bevorstand. Im Jahr 1942 stieg die Bevölkerung auf über 18.000, als der Navy Yard sein Personal aufstockte und die Armee ihren Einschiffungshafen dorthin brachte. Die Militärstützpunkte in North Charleston haben der Region sowohl in den Weltkriegen als auch im Korea- und Vietnam-Konflikt Wohlstand gebracht.

Nach dem Ende des Zweiten Weltkriegs leben und arbeiten noch viele Soldaten in North Charleston, sodass die Industrie ihre Produktion aufrechterhalten kann.

Bereits in den 1940er Jahren strebte das Gebiet von North Charleston an, eine Stadt zu werden. Casper Padgett leitete vor etwa 36 Jahren einen der ersten Gründungsversuche. Der Versuch scheiterte, als die Wähler ihre Ablehnung des Konzepts acht zu eins offenlegten.

In den späten 1950er Jahren leitete Arthur H. Burton eine andere Gruppe, die hoffte, das Interesse an der Gründung wieder zu wecken. Burton stieß jedoch auf einen großen Stolperstein in der Verfassung des Staates SC. Die Verfassung verlangte, dass die Wähler einer neuen Stadt zustimmen, und die Nordzone hatte das nicht.

Eine Verfassungsänderung war erforderlich, die es den Städten ermöglichen würde, sich mit einer Mehrheit der Wähler zu integrieren, die zu den Pools gehen. Diese Änderung wurde schließlich 1972 gewährt.

1961 versuchte North Charleston erneut, sich zu integrieren und wählte sogar einen Bürgermeister, F. C. Ott. Die positive Resonanz reichte jedoch nicht aus.

Der dritte Eingliederungsversuch im Jahr 1969 wurde von Rep. Robert W. Turner, dem unangefochtenen Kandidat für das Bürgermeisteramt der neuen Stadt, angeführt.

Nach diesem erfolglosen Versuch nahm John E. Bourne 1971 den Kampf auf.

Bourne reduzierte die Gebietsabstimmung für die Gründung auf vier Bezirke, in denen das Gründungsinteresse groß war und in denen die Stimmen im Allgemeinen an die Pools gingen. Die Gründer wussten, dass sie, wenn sie ein kleineres Gebiet einbeziehen könnten, dann die Annexionsverfahren für den Rest des Nordgebiets festlegen könnten. Diese Anstrengung machte North Charleston zu einer Stadt.

1972: Die City of North Charleston wurde am 12. Juni 1972 mit John E. Bourne, Jr. als erster Bürgermeister als neuntgrößte Stadt in South Carolina gegründet. Im Dezember wurde North Charleston die viertgrößte Stadt in SC, nachdem der Marinestützpunkt, der Luftwaffenstützpunkt und der Charleston International Airport annektiert wurden. Innerhalb eines Jahres war die Einwohnerzahl der Stadt von 22.000 auf 53.000 gestiegen.

1972-1982: Am 3. Juli 1975 wurde die Stadt die drittgrößte Stadt des Staates. Am 12. Juni 1982 war North Charleston um 250 Prozent gewachsen. Es hatte 15 Millionen US-Dollar an Kapitalinvestitionen, 1,95 Millionen US-Dollar in Parks und Erholungseinrichtungen und 2,28 Millionen US-Dollar in die wirtschaftliche Entwicklung.

1982-1996: Die Stadt feierte 1986 die Eröffnung der Northwoods Mall. Dieses große Einkaufszentrum trug dazu bei, North Charleston als landesweit führend im Einzelhandel zu fördern.

21. September 1989 Hurrikan Hugo schlug ein und verursachte im Lowcountry von South Carolina einen Schaden von über 2,8 Milliarden US-Dollar. Die physischen und wirtschaftlichen Auswirkungen waren verheerend.

Bobby Kinard wurde 1991 zum zweiten Bürgermeister von North Charleston gewählt. Nach dem Rücktritt von Bürgermeister Kinard im Jahr 1994 übernahm Ken McClure seine Aufgaben als Interimsbürgermeister.

1993 wurde auf der Charleston Air Force Base das Flugzeuggeschwader C-17 Globemaster III gegründet, das weltweit militärische Unterstützung leistet.

Das North Charleston Coliseum wurde 1993 eröffnet und das South Carolina Stingrays Hockey Team der ECHL begann North Charleston ihr Zuhause zu nennen.

Bürgermeister R. Keith Summey wurde 1994 zum dritten Bürgermeister von North Charleston gewählt. Er wurde seit 1994 bei jeder Wahl wiedergewählt und dient nun seine vierte Amtszeit als Bürgermeister.

Der Marinestützpunkt Charleston und die Werft wurden 1996 offiziell geschlossen und beendeten damit eine fast 100-jährige Geschichte als größter Arbeitgeber von Zivilarbeitern in South Carolina. Etwa 1,4 Milliarden Dollar an jährlichen Ausgaben gingen durch die Schließung verloren.

1996-heute: Hunderte Hektar Land, aus dem der Marinestützpunkt Charleston und die Werft bestanden, fielen nach der Schließung des Stützpunkts an die Stadt North Charleston zurück. Private Industrie und Unternehmen begannen, Mietverträge für Lagerhallen und Büroräume abzuschließen.

Das North Charleston Performing Arts Center und das Charleston Area Convention Center wurden 1999 eröffnet.

Die 400 Hektar große Entwicklung von Centre Pointe begann in den frühen 2000er Jahren und umfasst heute Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Tanger Outlet Mall und andere umliegende Einzelhandelsgeschäfte und landesweit bekannte Restaurants.

Der Noisette Community Plan wurde 2004 ins Leben gerufen und förderte die Revitalisierungsbemühungen von North Charleston. Politische und kommunale Führer, Unternehmen und Anwohner begannen, den Schwerpunkt und die Förderung von Erhaltung, Nachhaltigkeit, Erholung, Bildung, Gesundheitsversorgung, kulturellem Wachstum, Schaffung einer angenehmen sozialen Atmosphäre und der Anziehung neuer technischer und ökologischer Arbeitsplätze zu fördern.

Der Riverfront Park in North Charleston wurde am 4. Juli 2005 offiziell der Öffentlichkeit zugänglich gemacht und bietet einen schönen Zugang zu den Ausblicken entlang des Cooper River mit einem großen Veranstaltungsort im Freien und Picknickplätzen. Später wurden ein Angelpier, eine Promenade und ein Naval Base Memorial Site hinzugefügt.

North Charleston ist weiterhin führend in South Carolina bei den Einzelhandelsumsätzen und übersteigt jedes Jahr 6 Milliarden US-Dollar.

Boeing Aircraft kündigte 2009 an, dass North Charleston die neue Heimat des Montage- und Auslieferungszentrums für 787 Dreamliner-Flugzeuge werden und Tausende neuer Arbeitsplätze auf einem weltweiten Markt schaffen würde.

North Charleston bietet die größte Anzahl an Hotelunterkünften in der Gegend, viele neue 4-Sterne-Hotels werden jährlich hinzugefügt, um den Bedarf der Besucher zu decken.


Wando (Schlepper Nr. 17) wurde am 14. Juni 1915 von der Charleston Navy Yard auf Kiel gelegt. Sie wurde am 7. März 1916 vom Stapel gelassen und am 3. April 1917 unter dem Kommando von Bootsmann J. W. Bettens in Dienst gestellt.

Wando blieb auf der Charleston Navy Yard bis zum 15. Welle (YFB-10) im Schlepptau, gedampft nach Norden, über Lynnhaven Roads, Virginia und den New York Navy Yard in New York City, Ankunft in Newport, Rhode Island, am 21. April 1917. Bald Verlegung nach Boston, Massachusetts über den Cape Cod Canal danach schleppte sie am 25. April und 26. April 1917 einen Kohlekahn zum New York Navy Yard und anschließend den Aufklärungskreuzer USS Salem (CL-3) von Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, zum Boston Navy Yard, bevor sie am 19. Mai 1917 über Philadelphia zum Charleston Navy Yard zurückkehrte und das Torpedoboot USS . schleppte Barney (TB-25).

Nach kurzen Dienstreisen in Georgetown, South Carolina und Jacksonville, Florida, Wando segelte nach Hampton Roads, Virginia, und ankerte am 11. Juni 1917 mit der Flotte im York River. Bis zum Sommer 1917 verrichtete der Schlepper verschiedene Dienstaufgaben - hauptsächlich das Schleppen von Zielen und Feuerzeugen, das Verschieben von Zielflößen und das Pflanzen von Bojen - von Tanger aus operierend Ton und Yorktown, Virginia. Während dieser Zeit unterstützte sie das geerdete Schlachtschiff USS Louisiana (Schlachtschiff Nr. 19) am 6. Juli 1917.

Mitte August 1917, Wando wurde im Norfolk Navy Yard repariert und erhielt dort eine "Minensuchausrüstung". Sie verließ Norfolk, Virginia, am 23. August 1917 in Richtung New Yorker Gewässer und erreichte "Base 10" - Port Jefferson, Long Island, New York - am Morgen des 25. August 1917. Von dort wechselte sie nach New London, Connecticut, wo sie zusätzliche Minensuchausrüstung von der USS Baltimore (C-3) erhielt. Am Abend des 8. September 1917, Wando Kapitän Reginald R. Belknap, Commander, Mine Force, an Bord und transportierte ihn nach Newport, Rhode Island, wo er später am Abend ankam. Wando führte anschließend vom 10. September 1917 bis 13.

Wando kehrte am 16. September 1917 nach New London zurück und ließ am folgenden Tag weitere Minensuchgeräte installieren. Sie transportierte Captain Belknap erneut als Passagier von New London nach Newport, bevor sie nach Norfolk fuhr. Für den Rest des Septembers Wando operiert in "Base One", Tangier Sound, Anlegen von Zielflößen, Arbeiten an Zielanlegestellen und kurze Fahrten zum Norfolk Navy Yard für Reparaturen oder Lieferungen. Wando blieb anschließend in den Herbstmonaten des Jahres 1917 und bis in den Winter in der Region Chesapeake Bay-Hampton Roads-Tanger Sound.

Abgelöst von ihrem Dienst bei der Mine Force am 19. November 1917, Wando nahm ihren Betrieb mit dem Atlantic Fleet Train wieder auf. Sie führte jedoch bis Ende März 1918 weiterhin die gleichen grundlegenden Aufgaben aus, diente als Ziel- und Netztender und lieferte Post und Depeschen später Bojen an der Potomac River Torpedo Range, vor der Mündung des St. Mary's River.

Wando Anfang 1919 zum ersten Mal in der Karibik eingesetzt. Auf dem Weg von Norfolk am 6. Februar 1919 erreichte sie Guantanamo Bay, Kuba, am 14. Februar 1919 mit Ponton Nr. 23 im Schlepptau. Sie verrichtete ihre glanzlosen Dienstfunktionen für die Flotte – Schleppen von Zielen, Feuerzeugen und Lastkähnen und Zustellung von Männern und Post – in kubanischen Gewässern in Guantanamo Bay, Guacanayabo Bay und Manzanillo Bay, bis sie am 17. April 1919 in die Vereinigten Staaten zurückkehrte.

Ankunft in New York am 18. April 1919, Wando anschließend nach Hoboken, New Jersey verlegt, wo sie in den ersten Maitagen 1919 repariert wurde. Am 6. Mai 1919 kehrte sie nach Norfolk zurück. Wando schleppte Ziele und leistete mit dem Atlantic Fleet Train bis Mitte Juli 1919 allgemeine Versorgungsdienste und operierte dann in Gewässern vor dem nördlichen Teil der Ostküste der Vereinigten Staaten von Newport, New London und New York aus. Sie blieb vom 10. August 1919 bis zum 10. Januar 1920 in New York City.

Unterwegs für Norfolk am 10. Januar 1920, Wando kam dort am nächsten Tag an, segelte aber am 14. Januar 1920 nach Süden nach Charleston. die sie am 16. Januar 1920 erreichte. Abgelöst vom Atlantikflottenzug am 26. Januar 1920, Wando wurde gleichzeitig als Werftfahrzeug bei der Charleston Navy Yard eingesetzt, ihre Besatzung reduzierte sich auf 14 Mann. Während ihres aktiven Dienstes in Charleston wurde sie am 17. Juli 1920 während der flottenweiten Vergabe alphanumerischer Rumpfnummern als AT-17 klassifiziert.

Wando operierte im 6. Naval District vom Charleston Navy Yard bis zum 18. April 1922, als sie außer Dienst gestellt und in Reserve gestellt wurde.

Wando am 15. März 1933 bei der Mare Island Navy Yard in Vallejo, Kalifornien, wieder in Dienst gestellt. Sie wurde am 27. Februar 1936 von einem Seeschlepper (AT-17) zu einem Hafenschlepper YT-123 umklassifiziert.

Zugeordnet zum 13. Naval District nach ihrer Wiederinbetriebnahme auf dem Puget Sound Navy Yard in Bremerton, Washington, zu betreiben, Wando verrichtete ihre lebenswichtigen, aber unbesungenen Schleppdienste von den späten 1930er Jahren bis zum Zweiten Weltkrieg. Am 15. April 1944 wurde sie erneut zu einem großen Hafenschlepper, YTB-123, umklassifiziert, eine Klassifizierung, die sie für den Rest ihres aktiven Marinedienstes trug.

Letztlich außer Dienst gestellt und außer Betrieb gesetzt und am 3. Juli 1946 Wando wurde der Kriegsschifffahrtsverwaltung der Maritime Commission zur Entsorgung übergeben. Ihr Name wurde am 30. Dezember 1946 von der Navy List gestrichen und am 28. April 1947 von der Puget Sound Tug and Barge Company erworben.

Dieser Artikel enthält gemeinfreien Text Wörterbuch der amerikanischen Marinekampfschiffe. Den Eintrag finden Sie hier.


Geschichte von Wando II - Geschichte

Verwenden Sie Anführungszeichen "___" für die Suche mit mehreren Wörtern.

Nur eine weitere Roots and Recall Network-Site

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Segars Collection – 2006

Die Pfarrei St. Thomas wurde ebenfalls 1706 gegründet und die erste Pfarrkirche wurde 1708 auf der Landzunge zwischen Wando und Cooper Rivers gebaut, etwa 3 km vom Dorf Wando entfernt, das früher als Cainhoy bekannt war. Die Pompion Hill Chapel wurde jedoch 1703 in der Pfarrei St. Thomas gebaut. Dalcho nannte sie die erste Kirche, die in der Provinz außerhalb der Stadt Charles Town gebaut wurde. Spätere Forschungen haben gezeigt, dass die erste Kapelle in Goose Creek einige Jahre zuvor errichtet wurde, vielleicht bereits 1680. Die erste Kapelle in Pompion Hill wurde kurz nach der Ankunft von Rev. Samuel Thomas, dem ersten Missionar in Carolina aus den neu organisierte Church of England Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. Sie wurden 1701 gegründet und schickten 1702 den Rev. Mr. Thomas nach Carolina. Er war der dritte Missionar, der nach Amerika geschickt wurde und diente den Menschen am Cooper River von Goose Creek bis Pompion Hill und machte sein Zuhause in Silk Hope, der Plantage von der Gouverneur, Sir Nathaniel Johnson. In einem Schreiben aus „Sir N. Johnson's Study“ im Jahr 1705 an die Gesellschaft in London sagte Herr Thomas: „Hier ist eine Kirche, die bereits seit meiner Ankunft unter der eigentümlichen Leitung und religiösen Fürsorge von Sir Nathaniel Johnson und unter der Aufsicht der Gemeinde errichtet wurde .“ Die Pompion Hill Chapel auf der Ostseite des Ostarms des Cooper River erhielt ihren Namen von der Plantage auf dem angrenzenden Fluss. Die lokale Aussprache ist Punkin oder, wie Richter H. A. M. Smith schrieb, „die gleichzeitige Schreibweise von Pumpkin ist Pompion“. Die Plantage wurde in einigen Urkunden als Ponkin Hill oder Ponkinhill Plantation geschrieben, bevor der Name erweitert wurde, um den größeren Plantagenbereich abzudecken, der von Rev. Thomas Hasell zusammengefasst wurde. Er war der erste Rektor der Pfarrei St. Thomas, die 1709 nach der Gründung der Pfarrei 1706 ernannt wurde. Er heiratete Elizabeth Ashby, die Tochter von John Ashby, dem zweiten Cassique der nahe gelegenen Baronie Quinby. Als Rev. Mr. Hasell 1744 starb, hatte er 35 Jahre lang der Pfarrei St. Thomas und Pompion Hill Chapels of Ease gedient. Pompion Hill Plantation von 1540 Hektar wurde von seinem ältesten Sohn Thomas Hasell geerbt. 1750 wurde es von Samuel Thomas, dem Enkel des ersten SPG-Missionars dieses Namens, gekauft, der der Schwiegersohn von Rev. Thomas Hasell war, da Samuel Thomas II. Elizabeth Ashby II. geheiratet hatte. Vor 1784 wurde Pompion Hill Plantation Eigentum der Pfarrei, entweder durch Kauf oder Schenkung von Samuel Thomas. In späteren Jahren nach 1823 war die Pompion Hill Plantation im Besitz von Alfred Huger und ihr Name wurde in Longwood geändert, und der Name Pompion Hill beschränkte sich auf die Klippe über dem Fluss von zehn oder zwölf Morgen, auf der die schöne alte Kapelle steht. (Information von: Namen in South Carolina von C. H. Neuffer, herausgegeben vom S.C. Dept. of English, USC)

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung des S.C. Dept. of Archives and History

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung des S.C. Dept. of Archives and History

Thomas T. Waterman Fotograf 1940 – Bilder und Informationen von: The Library of Congress – HABS Photo Collection

Thomas T. Waterman Fotograf 1940 – Bilder und Informationen von: The Library of Congress – HABS Photo Collection


Geschichte von Wando II - Geschichte

Eine offizielle Website der US-Regierung

Offizielle Websites verwenden .gov
EIN .gov Website gehört einer offiziellen Regierungsorganisation in den Vereinigten Staaten.

Sichere .gov-Websites verwenden HTTPS
EIN sperren ( Ein verschlossenes Vorhängeschloss verriegeln

) oder https:// bedeutet, dass Sie sicher mit der .gov-Website verbunden sind. Geben Sie sensible Informationen nur auf offiziellen, sicheren Websites weiter.

Geologie, Hydrogeologie und Potenzial der intrinsischen Bioremediation am Standort des National Park Service Dockside II und angrenzenden Gebieten, Charleston, South Carolina, 1993-94

Links

Abstrakt

Studienbereich

Zusätzliche Veröffentlichungsdetails
Publikationstyp Prüfbericht
Untertyp der Veröffentlichung USGS nummerierte Serie
Titel Geologie, Hydrogeologie und Potenzial der intrinsischen Bioremediation am Standort des National Park Service Dockside II und angrenzenden Gebieten, Charleston, South Carolina, 1993-94
Serientitel Untersuchungsbericht zu Wasserressourcen
Seriennummer 96-4170
DOI 10.3133/wri964170
Auflage -
Erscheinungsjahr 1996
Sprache ENGLISCH
Herausgeber US Geological Survey Branch of Information Services [Vertriebspartner],
Beitragende(s) Büro(s) Wasserforschungszentrum Südatlantik
Beschreibung viii, 69 S. : Abb., Karten 28 cm.
Land Vereinigte Staaten
Bundesland South Carolina
Stadt Charleston
Google Analytics-Messwerte Seite mit den Messwerten

Dieser Bericht wird teilweise oder vollständig im Portable Document Format (PDF) präsentiert. Für beste Ergebnisse beim Anzeigen und Drucken von PDF-Dokumenten wird empfohlen, die Dokumente auf Ihren Computer herunterzuladen und mit Adobe Reader zu öffnen. Von Ihrem Browser geöffnete PDF-Dokumente werden möglicherweise nicht wie vorgesehen angezeigt oder gedruckt. Laden Sie die neueste Version des Adobe Readers kostenlos herunter. Weitere Informationen zum Anzeigen, Herunterladen und Drucken von Berichtsdateien finden Sie hier.


Carolina Kolonien

„Carolina wurde 1563 oder 1564 von den Franzosen so genannt, zu Ehren von Karl IX.

Das später so benannte Territorium umfasste die Länder zwischen dem 30. und 36. Grad nördlicher Breite und erstreckte sich vom Atlantischen Ozean bis zum Pazifik. Im Jahr 1663 wurde dieses definierte Territorium von Charles II., König von England, der es aufgrund von Cabots Entdeckung beanspruchte, an Lord Clarendon, Sir William Berkley, Sir George Carteret und vier weitere übertragen, die über umfassende Befugnisse zum Ansiedeln und Regieren verfügten es.

Zwischen 1640 und 1650, vor der oben genannten Bewilligung an Clarendon und andere, hatte eine Ansiedlung von Pflanzern aus Virginia in der Nähe der Mündung des Chowan River am Nordufer des Albemarle Sound begonnen. Diese Siedlung wurde von Gouverneur Berkley von Virginia unter die Aufsicht von William Drummond gestellt. Die kleine Plantage erhielt den Namen der Kolonie Albemarle County, zu Ehren des Herzogs von Albemarle, einem der Eigentümer.

Im Jahr 1665 wurde eine zweite dauerhafte Siedlung in der Nähe der Mündung des Clarendon oder des Cape Fear River von Auswanderern von der Insel Barbados errichtet. Dies wurde genannt Kolonie Clarendon County. Es hatte eine ähnliche Verfassung mit Virginia. Sir John Yeamans war der erste Gouverneur. Beide der oben genannten Siedlungen lagen innerhalb der gegenwärtigen Grenzen von North Carolina.

1670 wurde eine dritte Kolonie gegründet, die Carteret County Kolonie, nach Sir George Carteret. Die Kolonisten wurden von Gouverneur Sayle begleitet, der zuvor die Küste erkundet hatte. Die Schiffe, die die Auswanderer trugen, fuhren zuerst in den Hafen von Port Royal in der Nähe von Beaufort ein, aber da sie mit dem Ort nicht zufrieden waren, segelten sie bald in den Ashley River und legten den Grundstein für Old Charleston. Im Jahr 1680 wurde diese Siedlung für Oyster Point aufgegeben, auf dem die heutige Stadt gegründet wurde Charleston. Dies war der Beginn von South Carolina.

Während der Regierung von Gouverneur Sayle wurde für diese Kolonien auf Wunsch des berühmten Lord Shaftesbury, der im Namen der Eigentümer handelte, durch den noch berühmteren John Locke eine Regierungsform vorbereitet. Es schlug ein Gericht vor, zu bestehen. der Eigentümer, von denen einer ebenfalls zum Präsidenten auf Lebenszeit gewählt werden sollte, ein erblicher Adel und ein Parlament, das aus den beiden ersteren bestehen sollte, und Vertretern jedes Bezirks. Alle sollten sich in einer Wohnung treffen und eine gleiche Stimme haben. Es wurde versucht, diesen schlecht erfundenen und absurden Regierungsplan in die Praxis umzusetzen, aber er erwies sich als undurchführbar. In Albemarle County löste es einen Aufstand aus. Es wurde daher aufgegeben und die ehemalige Eigentumsregierung wiederhergestellt.

Im Jahr 1671 wurde Gouverneur Sayle im Sterben, Sir John Yeamans, Gouverneur von Clarendon, zu seinem Nachfolger ernannt. Infolge dieses Ereignisses und des geringen Wohlstands der Kolonie, der hauptsächlich aus der Unfruchtbarkeit ihres Bodens resultierte, zogen die Bewohner dieser späteren Siedlung innerhalb weniger Jahre in die von Charleston um, und die drei Regierungen wurden folglich reduziert zu zwei. Da sie weit voneinander getrennt waren, wurden die charakteristischen Namen von North und South Carolina in Bezug auf sie verwendet.

Kolonie North Carolina

Der Fortschritt der Kolonie Albemarle oder North Carolina wurde lange Zeit durch interne Meinungsverschiedenheiten verzögert. Ein aufständischer Staat der Einwohner entstand aus dem Versuch, Herrn Lockes Regierungsplan durchzusetzen. Die Steuern waren enorm und die kommerziellen Beschränkungen peinlich. Im Jahr 1677, nach einem Versuch, die Steuergesetze gegen einen Schmuggler aus Neuengland durchzusetzen, erhob sich das Volk gegen die Regierung und sperrte den Präsidenten der Kolonie und sechs Mitglieder des Rates ein und übernahm damit das Vorrecht der Regierung sich.

Im Jahr 1683 schickten die Besitzer Seth Sothel, einen von ihnen, in der Hoffnung, durch ihn Ruhe und Zufriedenheit wiederherzustellen. Aber er verstärkte nur bestehende Störungen. Sechs Jahre lang ertrugen die Einwohner seine Ungerechtigkeit und Unterdrückung, nahmen ihn dann fest und verbannten ihn, nachdem er ihn vor Gericht gestellt hatte, aus der Kolonie. Ein Historiker bemerkte einmal über Sothel: „Die dunklen Schattierungen seines Charakters wurden durch keinen einzigen Strahl der Tugend gelindert.“

Philip Ludwell aus Virginia folgte dem berüchtigten und anspruchsvollen Sothel und machte das Unrecht wieder gut, das er begangen hatte. Unter ihm und seinem Nachfolger, Sir John Archdale, 1695, ein Quäker und ein ausgezeichneter Mann, wurde die Ordnung in der Kolonie wiederhergestellt. Auswanderer begannen zu strömen, und verschiedene andere Teile des Territoriums wurden im Laufe weniger Jahre besiedelt. Freie Landvergaben wurden ihnen von den Eigentümern vorgenommen, und hier fanden viele, die vor religiösen Verfolgungen oder den Verwüstungen des Krieges in fremden Ländern geflohen waren, eine friedliche und dankbare Zuflucht. Dies galt insbesondere für eine Kompanie französischer Protestanten, die 1707 ankam und sich am Trent, einem Seitenarm der Neuse, niederließ, und für eine große Zahl von Deutschen, die 1710 vor der Verfolgung flohen und sich dort niederließen Teil der Provinz.

But the inhabitants of this colony were destined soon to experience a sad, and, to many, a fatal calamity. The Indian tribes on the seacoast, once numerous and powerful, were fast dwindling before the enterprise of the colonists. To the more inland tribes, especially the Tuscaroras and the Corees, this was an indication not to be mistaken that the days of their prosperity were fast numbering. Grieved and exasperated at the prospect before them, they now combined with other tribes to utterly exterminate the new settlers. This purpose they attempted to carry into effect and so successful were they, that in one night, October 2nd, 1711, they massacred one hundred and thirty persons belonging to the settlements along the Roanoke River and Pamlico Sound.

A few colonists, escaping, hastened to South Carolina for assistance. Governor Craven immediately dispatched to their aid nearly a thousand men, under Colonel Barnwell. On his arrival, he defeated the enemy in several actions and, at length, pursued them to their fortified town, which capitulated, and peace was
concluded.

But it proved of short duration. The Indians renewed their hostilities, and the assistance of the southern colony was again involved. In response, Colonel Moore set out for the hostile territory, with a competent force &mdash forty white men and eight-hundred friendly Indians. They reduced the fort of the Tuscaroras, and with it took eight hundred prisoners. Broken and disheartened by this defeat, the tribe, in 1713, migrated north, and became the sixth nation of the great Iroquois Confederacy &mdash sometimes called the Five, and after this event, the Six Nations. In 1715, a treaty was concluded with the Corees.

In 1719, the proprietary government, which had continued from the settlement of the colony until now, was terminated in consequence of difficulties between the inhabitants and the proprietors. Their charter was vacated by the crown, and royal government substituted. Ten years after in 1729, the proprietors surrendered their right to the government, and interest in the soil, to the king upon which the province was divided into North and. South Carolina, and their governors and councils were appointed by the crown.

South Carolina Colony

The foundation of the Carteret or Southern Colony, was laid by Governor Sayle and emigrants accompanying him, in the settlement of Old Charleston, in 1670. Sayle fell victim to some disease of the climate early in the following year, and Sir John Yeamans, then Governor of Clarendon Colony, was appointed his successor. On being transferred, he drew after him a considerable portion of the latter colony.

The progress of the southern colony was, from the commencement, more rapid than the northern. Several circumstances contributed to this. The soil was more feasible and fertile. Many Dutch families from New York, dissatisfied with the transfer of their home to the English, in 1664, were ready to find a home here and, in 1671, shiploads of them were transported by the proprietors to Carolina, free of expense, and liberal grants of land were made to them. They chiefly concentrated at a place called Jamestown, west of the Ashley River, where they were, from time to time, enforced by emigrants from Holland. The profanity and licentiousness of the court of Charles II, also, drove many Puritan refugees across the Atlantic, a considerable number of whom settled in Carolina.

In 1680, the people of Old Charleston, attracted by the more pleasant location of a point of land between thee rivers Ashley and Cooper, called Oyster Point, removed there, and there laid the foundation of the present City of Charleston, which, from that time, has had the honor of being the capital of the colony and state.

They were, however, immediately afterward, annoyed, and the safety of the place even endangered, by the hostile and predatory conduct of the Westoes, a powerful tribe of Indians in the neighborhood. Retaliatory measures became necessary numbers of the Indians were shot and others, who were captured, were sent into slavery in the West Indies. Fortunately, peace was made with them the following year.

In 1686, soon after the revocation of the edict of Nantes, by Louis XIV, a large number of Huguenots, or French Protestants, came over, and settled in the colony. To the English settlers, who were Episcopal, these refugees being of so different a faith, were by no means welcome and they were quite disposed to drive them from the colony, notwithstanding the latter had been introduced by the proprietors under an assurance of enjoying the rights of citizenship.

About this time, James Colleton, a brother of Sir John, was appointed governor, under an expectation that he would be able to reduce the people to a proper submission to proprietary authority, to which they had for a long time seemed averse. But his arbitrary conduct, in excluding refractory members from the colonial assembly, and in attempting to collect rents claimed by the proprietors as due, drove the people to open resistance. The public records were seized, the colonial secretary imprisoned, the governor defied, and, at length, banished from the colony.

In 1690, that notable person, Seth Sothel, who, for his corrupt conduct, had been driven from North Carolina in disgrace, appeared in the province, and was allowed by the people to assume the government. But, impelled by his avarice to acts of meanness and oppression, as formerly at the expiration of two years he was banished from the colony. Next, Philip Ludwell was appointed by the proprietors as the person to teach the South Carolinians submission and good manner but they were too turbulent, as he thought, and he became glad, at no distant day, to retire.

In 1695, John Archdale, the Quaker, was appointed governor, with power to redress all grievances. The people had long complained against their rulers, and had quarreled among themselves. Archdale, by a wise and conciliatory course, restored harmony, and removed the causes of civil dissatisfaction. He introduced a more republican form of government, thus restoring to the people rights and privileges which had been monopolized by the proprietors, or their agents.

One difficulty, however, still remained, and which he was compelled to leave to the 'softening influence of time' to remove. This was the jealousy and antipathy already alluded to, of the English Episcopalians against the French Protestants. The latter, it was contended, could not legally hold real estate in the colony that the French ministers could not lawfully solemnize marriages and that the children of the refugees must be debarred inheriting the property of their fathers.

But these animosities and differences found an end. When, at length, the inoffensive and even exemplary lives of these exiles, were observed by the English, and also their uniform and liberal efforts to sustain and advance the interests of the colony, prejudice and opposition yielded and, in a few years, the colonial assembly gladly extended to them all the rights of citizens and freemen.

Soon after the declaration of war in 1702, by England against France and Spain, called Queen Anne's War, Governor Moore proposed to the assembly of the colony an expedition against the Spanish settlement of St. Augustine, in Florida. To this the more considerate of the assembly were opposed but, the enterprise being approved by a majority, nearly ten thousand dollars were appropriated for the object, and twelve hundred troops raised, one half of whom were Indians. With the forces above named, and some merchant vessels impressed as transports, Governor Moore sailed for St. Augustine. The design for Colonel Daniel, an enterprising officer, was to proceed by the inland passage, and then attack the town by land, with a party of militia and Indians while Moore was to proceed by sea, and take possession of the harbor. Daniel advanced against the town, entered and plundered it, before the governor's arrival. The Spaniards, however, retired to the castle, with their principal riches, and with provisions for four months.

The governor, on his arrival, could effect nothing, for want of artillery. In this emergency, Daniel was dispatched to Jamaica for cannon, mortars, etc. During his absence, two large Spanish ships appearing off the harbor, Governor Moore hastily raised the siege, abandoned his shipping, and made a precipitate retreat into Carolina. Colonel Daniel, having no intelligence that the siege had been raised, on his return, stood in for the harbor, and narrowly escaped the ships of the enemy. In consequence of this rash and unfortunate enterprise, the colony was loaded with a debt of nearly thirty thousand dollars, which gave rise to the first paper currency in Carolina, and was the means of filling the colony with dissension and tumult.

The failure of this expedition was soon after, in a measure, compensated by a successful war with the Appalachian Indians, who, in consequence of their connection with the Spaniards, became insolent and hostile. Governor Moore, with a body of white men and Indian allies, marched into the heart of their country, and compelled them to submit to the English. All the towns of the tribes between the rivers Altamaha and Savannah were burnt, and between six hundred and eight hundred Indians were made prisoners.

In 1704, Sir Nathaniel Johnson succeeded Governor Moore and now, under his influence, a long-cherished object of the proprietors was accomplished. This was the establishment of the Church of England forms of worship as the religion of the province, and the exclusion of dissenters from all participation in the government. But, in 1706, these laws of exclusion or disfranchisement were repealed, by direction of the English Parliament, which decided that they were inconsistent with the laws of England. But the acts establishing the Church of England religion continued in force, until they were abrogated by the American Revolution.

In 1706, while yet Queen Anne's War continued, a French and Spanish squadron, consisting of a French frigate and four armed sloops, appeared before Charleston, with a design of annexing Carolina to Florida but, by the prompt and energetic efforts of the governor, seconded by Colonel Rhett and the inhabitants, this issue was averted. When, at length, the enemy had passed the bar, he sent a summons to the governor to surrender. Four hours were allowed him to return his answer. But the governor informed the messenger that he did not wish one minute. On the reception of this answer, the enemy seemed to hesitate, and attempted nothing that day.

The day succeeding, a party of the enemy, landing on James Island, burnt a village by the river's side. Another party landed at Wando Neck. The next day both these parties were dislodged the latter party being surprised, and nearly all killed or taken prisoner.

This success so animated the Carolinians, that it was determined to attack the enemy by sea. This was attempted with a force of six vessels, under command of Rhett but, on his appearance, the enemy weighed anchor, and precipitately fled.

In 1715, the province came near the verge of ruin, by reason of a combination of the Yamassees and other Indian tribes&mdashstretching from Cape Fear to Florida&mdashagainst them. The 15th of April 1715, was fixed upon as the day of their general destruction. Owing, however, to the wisdom, dispatch and firmness of Governor Craven, and the blessing of Providence, the calamity was, in a measure, averted, and the colonies saved, though at the expense during the war, of near four hundred of the inhabitants. The Yamassees were expelled from the province, and took refuge among the Spaniards in Florida.

In 1719, the people of Carolina, having been long disgusted with the management of the proprietors, were resolved, at all hazards, to execute their own laws, and defend the rights of the province. A subscription to this effect was drawn up, and generally signed. On the meeting of the assembly, a committee was sent with this subscription to the governor, Robert Johnson, requesting him to accept the government of the province, under the king, instead of the proprietors. Upon Johnson's refusal, the assembly chose Colonel James Moore governor, under the crown and on the 21st of December, 1719, the convention and militia marched to Charleston fort, and proclaimed Moore governor, in his majesty's name.

The Carolinians, having thus assumed the government, in behalf of the king, referred their complaints to the royal ear. On a hearing of the case, the privy council adjudged that the proprietors had forfeited their charter. From this time, therefore, the colony was taken under the royal protection, under which it continued until the Revolution. This change was followed, in 1729, by another, nearly as important. This was an agreement, between the proprietors and the crown, that the former should surrender to the crown their right and interest, both to the government and soil, for the sum of seventeen thousand five hundred pounds sterling. This agreement being carried into effect, the province was divided into North and South Carolina, each province having a distinct governor, under the crown of England.

Quelle: A History of the United States, by Charles A. Goodrich, 1857


Barbados and the Roots of Carolina, Part 1

If you pick up any book about the origins of South Carolina in the late 1600s, you’ll be sure to find references to the island of Barbados and the great influence it exerted on our early history. Nearly 350 years later, in November 2017, a number of Lowcountry residents are collaborating with officials in Barbados to commemorate the cultural ties that continue to bind our two communities together. The Barbados and Carolina Legacy Foundation, founded by Bajan native Rhoda Green, is leading a coterie of Carolinians to Bimshire (as some natives call the island) this month to celebrate our shared past. I’ll be traveling along with the Charleston delegation, and I look forward to sharing the fruits of my journey when I return.

In preparation for my trip, I’ve been reading a lot and searching for clues to answer this fundamental question: How exactly did Barbados influence the early history of South Carolina? If you peruse a few of the many books and articles written about this topic, you’ll find discussions of a number of specific connections. The Charleston single house, for example, is often described as being a local interpretation of a Barbadian (or Bajan) predecessor. The drinking culture of early Charleston has been described as an extension of the influence of the Bajan rum industry. Several of the early governors and major landowners of colonial Carolina came here from Barbados. Some of South Carolina’s earliest laws for the governing of African slaves were based on legal precedents established in Barbados. The local language we call Gullah, created by the enslaved Africans who lived along the coast of South Carolina, is remarkably similar to the Afro-Barbadian dialect known as Bajan.

After reading about such connections between Barbados and early South Carolina, I have to admit that I still felt a bit unsatisfied. The cultural connections I’ve just described are legitimate, bona fide examples of the historical links between our two communities, but there has to be more to the story. After further reading, digging into the early history of that Caribbean island, however, I found a theme that strikes me as a deeper, more fundamental link between Barbados and Carolina. To illustrate my point, we’ll need to travel back to the early days of European exploration in the New World, and try to understand how the small island of Barbados fits into the larger historic context of this age of discovery.

Barbados is the easternmost island of the Caribbean or West Indian Islands. It contains approximately 166 square miles of land, or just over 106,000 acres. That makes the island of Barbados approximately one-tenth the size of Charleston County, or twice the size of John’s Island. That may be difficult to visualize, so here’s another way to think about it: the pear-shaped island of Barbados is approximately 21 miles long and 14 miles across at its widest point.

European settlement of Barbados began in the 1490s, when Spanish and Portuguese explorers first visited the island. There they found a population of native Amerindians, but did not attempt to create a permanent settlement. Throughout the sixteenth century, Spanish colonists dominated the land of Central America and the islands of the Caribbean Sea, while Portuguese colonists established a vast sugar empire in Brazil in South America.

At the beginning of the seventeenth century, England was poised to launch its first permanent colonies in the New World. The settlement at Jamestown, Virginia, was established in 1607, followed by a permanent settlement in Bermuda in 1609. In 1623 English settlers claimed part of the island of St. Christopher (St. Kitts), in the Leeward Islands of the Lesser Antilles, just a bit north of Barbados. French settlers claimed the other half of St. Kitts in 1625, leading to years of conflict, so the English kept searching for Caribbean islands to call their own. Also in 1625, English explorers landed at Barbados, found it completely deserted, and claimed the island for their king.

Two years later, in 1627, a small band of about fifty white men and perhaps ten African slaves established the first permanent English settlement on Barbados. Over the next several decades, the island served as the base for other English settlements in the Caribbean, including Nevis in 1628, Antigua in 1632, and then a number of other small islands. As England’s first solid foothold in the West Indies, Barbados quickly became a major destination for adventuring merchants and investors, as well as white indentured servants and exiled criminals. By the early 1640s, when the colony was not quite twenty years old, Barbados was home to approximately 30,000 people, mostly men, making it the most densely populated English-speaking settlement outside of London.

In this crowded society, scores of urban merchants traded with neighboring ports while hundreds of middling landowners cultivated relatively small tracts of lands. They grew tobacco, cotton, indigo, and ginger for export, and raised cattle and provision crops to feed themselves. Indentured white servants, mostly poor Irish, did the bulk of the labor, but Barbados in the early 1640s was also home to nearly 1,000 enslaved Africans, whom the English had purchased through Dutch merchants. English colonists first embraced slavery in Virginia in 1619, but it was not yet the dominant form of labor in their New World settlements. In Virginia in 1650, for example, the population demographics were nearly identical to that of 1640s Barbados: approximately 30,000 whites and nearly 1,000 enslaved Africans.

During its first twenty years of English occupation, Barbados was not a financial success. Tobacco prices declined as the quantity and quality of the Virginia product surpassed Caribbean exports. French and Spanish indigo dominated European markets, and so the English dye faced stiff competition. In response to these conditions, settlers began to stream away from Barbados in search of new opportunities in places like Virginia and New England.

As Barbados struggled to find its niche in the world in the early 1640s, a few planters began experimenting with the cultivation of sugar cane. The Portuguese in Brazil had already turned sugar cane production into an extremely profitable business, using Dutch merchants to market sugar and sugar by-products to European customers who couldn’t get enough of the sweet stuff. Trying to emulate their neighbors, English planters in Barbados started growing the cane and experimenting with the laborious process of converting it into sugar products. At first the results were not promising. The quantity was too small to be profitable, and the quality of their sugar was inferior to that produced by the Portuguese. Within a few years of experimentation, however, and with the important help of Dutch merchants and Sephardic Jews who bridged the gap between Portuguese, Dutch, and English trade networks, Barbadian planters soon perfected their sugar production techniques.

By the end of the 1640s, Barbados was on the cusp of an explosion of sugar production. Planters had mastered both the cultivation of the cane and the techniques of processing it into sugar, molasses, and rumbullion (rum), alias “kill-divil.” The last step in this expansion was to increase production dramatically, a step that would require a larger labor force. In sixteenth-century Brazil, Portuguese planters created an empire of sugar cane by importing large numbers of enslaved Africans. Around the year 1650, Barbadian planters decided to follow a similar path. Within a decade, the island had been radically transformed. Wealthy planters bought out their less-affluent neighbors to create a smaller number of farms, or plantations, cultivating larger tracts of land. Simultaneously, they purchased large numbers of Africans through Dutch merchants, effectively displacing thousands of poor white laborers. By 1660, the population of Barbados stood at approximately 26,000 whites, a decline of a several thousand people since the early 1640s. Conversely, the number of enslaved people of African descent increased from less than 1,000 people around 1640 to approximately 27,000 in 1660.

The transformation of the Barbadian economy in the mid-1600s was a turning point in that island’s history, but it also had important ramifications for the rest of the Caribbean and mainland North America as well. By investing a large amount of capital into large-scale agricultural ventures that focused on a single crop, combined with an emphasis on the use of forced African labor, Barbadian planters were creating a new mode of capitalism in the English-speaking world. The business of exploitative factory farming, as we might call it, produced incredible profits for a relatively small number of investors, while condemning a disproportionately large number of people to a life of labor and poverty. The Spanish and Portuguese had already embarked down this economic road in South America, of course, but for the English nation this was a bold new step that would have long and painful repercussions.

The rapid economic success of Barbados between the late 1640s and the early 1660s, what we might call the Great Sugar Rush, also created a series of immediate challenges for the small island. The great potential for profits drove planters to clear more land to grow more sugar cane and import ever more Africans to do the work. As a result of these changes, Barbadians found it increasingly difficult to sustain their own population. There were far more mouths to feed, but fewer acres of land dedicated to cattle grazing and the cultivation of provisions like wheat and peas. As forests were cleared to create new cane fields, the island grew increasingly desperate for essential wood products like lumber for houses, shingles for roofs, staves for barrels, and firewood to boil the cane juice into sugar and rum. To maintain the fabulously profitable economic dynamo it had recently created, Barbados desperately needed to expand.

The Barbadian model of sugar production enticed English adventurers to carry the business to the other English possessions in the Caribbean, including Antigua, St. Kitt’s, and Nevis. These were small islands with limited resources, however, so they alone could not satisfy the demand for land, wood products, and provisions. In 1655 England captured the much larger island of Jamaica from the Spanish, a feat that promised much needed relief for the strained Barbadian resources. The Jamaican soil proved to be less fertile than that of Barbados, however, and the island’s extensive mountains provided ample shelter to African slaves seeking to escape a life of bondage. In the late 1600s the Jamaican economy developed a sort of auxiliary of the Barbadian sugar model, but the collective resources of the larger island were not sufficient to solve the smaller island’s lingering challenges.

What Barbados merchants and planters of the early 1660s ideally wanted was a cheap, limitless supply of timber for wood products and land for cattle grazing and planting provision crops. Such needs could only be found on the mainland, perhaps, and England’s long, turbulent era of Civil War, Commonwealth, and Protectorate, 1642–1659, precluded the creation of any new mainland colonies in North America. With the restoration of the English monarchy under Charles II in 1660, however, the leading figures of Barbados saw an opportunity to press the new king for assistance in expanding their respective fortunes. Conversations commenced between Barbadians and their allies in the new English government about potential investments and profit schemes. In the spring of 1663, these private negotiations bore fruit in the Royal charter granted by Charles II to a group of eight investors, styled Lords Proprietors, for the vast and verdant new colony called Carolina.

In short, the historical connection between Barbados and Carolina is far deeper than a handful of influential colonists, or an architectural form, or a style of cuisine, or a dialect. Barbados, or more precisely the spirit of late-seventeenth-century Barbados, was encoded in the DNA of Carolina from the moment this colony was conceived. Tune in next week, when we’ll continue this conversation by investigating some of the features of early South Carolina that we can identify as family traits inherited from Barbados.


History of Wando II - History

For most of its history Korea was an independent kingdom, or at least an autonomous kingdom under Chinese influence. This came to an end in 1910 when Japan annexed all of Korea. At the end of World War II in 1945 the 38° parallel was established as the dividing line between U.S. and Soviet zones of occupation, and in 1948 separate civil administrations were established in the two halves of the country. The Korean War (1950-53) ended in a draw with the armistice line falling close to the prewar 38° line. The Republic of Korea (ROK), commonly called South Korea, occupies the Korean peninsula south of the armistice line.

This page covers lighthouses of the northern section of the island county of Wando located off South Korea's southwest coast. Wando is a county of Jeollanam Province in the region of southwestern Korea formerly known known as Jeolla or Cholla. There is another page for the southern islands of the county. Also included on this page are several lighthouses of Jangheung County and Gangjin County, which are on the mainland facing Wando.

In 2000 South Korea adopted a Revised Romanization System to replace systems formerly used in the West. In the Revised System, the word for a lighthouse is deungdae ( 등대 ) Dan (formerly bräunen) is a cape, seom (som) oder tun (zu) is an island, am oder amseog is a rock, Mann is a bay, and hang is a harbor. Some place names may be more familiar to Westerners in the spellings of older systems.

Navigational aids in the ROK are regulated by the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). Most of the lights on this page are maintained by the Mokpo Regional Oceans and Fisheries Administration , but several of the lights in the southeastern part of the Wando archipelago are maintained by the Yeosu Regional Oceans and Fisheries Administration.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights . Admiralty numbers are from volume M of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals . U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources Port of Mokpo - Lighthouses Photos and information in English for the major lighthouses of the area. World of Lighthouses - South Korea Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net. Kiso's Lighthouses - Korea Photos posted by a Japanese lighthouse fan. Online List of Lights - Korea Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. Navionics Charts Navigation chart for Wando.


East Breakwater Light, Wando, September 2009
Daum.net Creative Commons photo by 사비오 (Sabio)

Northeastern Wando County Lighthouses


Geumdangdo Light, Geumdang District
ex-Daum.net Creative Commons photo by 고기잡는어부


Seopdo Light, Geomildo District
Yeosu Regional Port Administration photo

Dojang Hang Detached Breakwater Lights, Geomildo District, October 2018
Google Maps photo by Hunseok Shin

Jangheung County Lighthouses

Hoejin District Lighthouses Hoejin Hang Breakwater East End 2007. Active focal plane 11 m (36 ft) four yellow flashes every 8 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower. Entire lighthouse is yellow. A photo of the two breakwater lighthouses is available and Google has a satellite view . Hoejin is a mainland port opposite the Wando islands. Located at the northeast end of the detached breakwater of Hoejin harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M4281.78 NGA 17303.2. Hoejin Hang Breakwater West End 2007. Active focal plane 11 m (36 ft) red flash every 4 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower. Entire lighthouse is red. A photo of the two breakwater lighthouses is available and Google has a satellite view . Located at the southwest end of the detached breakwater of Hoejin harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M4281.79 NGA 17303.3..

Gangjin County Lighthouses


West Breakwater Light, Maryang Hang, May 2020
Google Maps photo by Hyunyong Kim

Northwestern Wando County Lighthouses


Wando Hang Light, Wando, August 2019
Google Maps photo by Banana

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Wando Tower, Wando, is a 76 m (250 ft) observation tower it is not listed as an aid to navigation. The tower appears the photo of the Wando East Breakwater Light at the top of this page and Google has a satellite view.

Posted January 9, 2008. Lighthouses: 45. Checked and revised February 10, 2021. Site copyright 2021 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.


The Enduring Fascination – And Challenge – Of World War II

Earl Ofari Hutchinson is the author of multiple books on race and politics in America, a military history analyst specializing in World War II, and a member of the Society for Military History. His books include the trilogy on the Obama Years: The Obama Legacy, How Obama Governed The Year of Crisis and Challenge, und How Obama Won. His most recent books are The Trump Challenge to Black America and From King to Obama: Witness to a Turbulent History. Seine How World War II Changed America will be released in August, 2021.

More than seven decades after the end of World War II, why are we still so fascinated by it? On a primal level, World War II is the complete package. Violence, action, adventure, romance, drama, death defying feats, passions, race, gender, new inventions, crisis decision making, colorful personalities and leaders, evil personalities and leaders, horror, heroism, and a triumphant ending. It doesn&rsquot get any better (or worse) in the realm of human experience.

World War II also serves to remind us what happens when a country is caught flatfooted and unprepared to respond to a crisis. The Pearl Harbor attack made clear that preparedness for a crisis is paramount. Failure to learn that lesson almost always leads to disaster. The 9/11 attack in 2001, first. Then twenty years after, the nation&rsquos failure to prepare and have plans in place to combat the COVID Pandemic. In both cases, the U.S. paid a terrible price for its lack of preparedness as it did with Pearl Harbor.

It&rsquos simplistic to say that World War II is a case of wanting to hang onto a feel-good, nostalgic past triumph. History is never past. It continues to repeat itself in many ways, and most importantly in many of the eternal issues--war and peace, violence and non-violence, authoritarian rule and democratic government, conservative and liberal ideology, civil liberties and national security, and terrorism and intervention.

Author and World War II expert Michael Bess says the war continues to challenge us to never lose sight of the nation&rsquos principles and values:

The issue raised here is a vital one for any democratic society: how to balance a commitment to constitutional rights and liberties with the demands of security in wartime. The lesson of World War II, in this regard, is clear: take the long view don&rsquot get lost in the panic of the moment. In 1942, in the name of national security, we Americans seized a racially demarcated subset of our citizenry and threw them in the slammer. In both cases, the justification was the same: We are at war. We have to do this in order to survive. But this turned out not to be true. Not a single case of Japanese-American subversion was ever prosecuted during World War II.

History should be approached as a living, breathing organic day-to-day experience. The events of the past that continually influence, shape, and contain important lessons for the present and the future are perpetually invaluable. One of my favorites is nicely summed up on the University of People website:

Learn from the past and notice clear warning signs. We learn from past atrocities against groups of people, genocides, wars, and attacks. Through this collective suffering, we have learned to pay attention to the warning signs leading up to such atrocities. Society has been able to take these warning signs and fight against them when they see them in the present day. Knowing what events led up to these various wars helps us better influence our future.

Do &ldquogenocide,&rdquo, &ldquoatrocities,&rdquo, &ldquowars,&rdquo, &ldquoattacks,&rdquo &ldquocollective suffering,&rdquo &ldquowarning signs,&rdquo &ldquofight against them,&rdquo or &ldquobetter influence our future,&rdquo sound familiar? The message is to be forewarned is to be forearmed. That&rsquos the purpose of knowing and taking to heart the great lessons of, and from, the past. In the end the past is the present and the future.

Here are three immediate examples that painfully underscore that. The U.S. stamped an everlasting stain on its claim to be the global champion of democracy when it interned 120,000 Japanese Americans during the war. The interned not only committed no crime but were productive citizens that made integral contributions to the nation in agriculture, trade, and the manufacturing industries.

The U.S. learned from that heinous act. In the aftermath of the 9/11 attack, fear and hysteria did not run rampant in the nation. There was no wholesale lock-up of Muslims in the country under the guise that they posed a threat to national security. Nearly two decades later, then President Trump&rsquos demand to exclude citizens from nations deemed &ldquoterrorist&rdquo from entrance into the U.S. ignited major resistance and legal challenges. It was soon modified and then scrapped. We learned again.

There were assorted identifiable white nationalist, supremacist and neo-Nazi supporters involved in the violence during the Capitol takeover January 6, 2021. The reaction from the government, media and public was swift condemnation, mass arrests, and prosecutions of the perpetrators. Congressional hearings were held that decried the laxity of response and ignoring intelligence warnings of possible violence. There would be no Reichstag type takeover here.

There is the always public tremor over the use of atomic power. When the Biden administration in April 2021 approved a plan to bankroll a multibillion-dollar project in New Mexico to manufacture key components for the nation&rsquos nuclear arsenal, antinuclear and environmental watchdog groups sprang into action. They threatened lawsuits, court action, and public protests over the plan.

I could name many more examples of how World War II hold lessons for the present.

The monumental destruction World War II wreaked should never blind us to the fact that the war was first and foremost a major historical event. As with all major historical events, they happen in a continuum of time and place. As such, they have important social, political, and economic consequences long after their end. In What is History?, eminent historian E.H. Carr ruminated at length about the inseparable linkage between the past and the present, &ldquoIt is at one the justification and the explanation of history that the past throws light on the future, and the future throws light on the past.&rdquo

Carr goes further. He insists that history has value only when it sheds light on the present and future, &ldquoHistory establishes meaning and objectivity only when it establishes a coherent relation between past and future.&rdquo

America&rsquos master oral history chronicler Studs Terkel published many books in which regular folk told their stories about just about every aspect of American life. There was no surprise then that the Good War had the sledgehammer impact on the public it did when it was released in 1984.

The stories the men and women of World War II told had instant and moving resonance for legions of readers born years, even decades, after the war. They could identify with the human emotions and drama that poured forth in their remembrances. It was the epitome of living history. It was no accident in May 2021, thirty-seven years afterDer gute Krieg, was published, and thirty-six years after it won a Pulitzer Prize, the book still ranked among the top 20 bestsellers in two non-fiction categories on Amazonas.

This literally speaks volumes why World War II, the good war, still fascinates us. And undoubtedly will continue to.


A History of the College’s Land

The story of the land that encompasses the College or Charleston campus reflects the history of the city.

The peninsula of Charleston was home to Native Americans long before the first permanent European settlers arrived in 1670. As soon as they entered the harbor, the first settlers saw a large oyster midden, the mounds of discarded oyster shells left by the indigenous people. (They named that area White Point, the site for White Point Garden today.) The tribes in the area included the Wando and the Etiwan. Relations between natives and newcomers started out equitably, but the sad tragedy of native displacement by the Europeans (through enslavement, conflict and disease) that is part of American history also played out here.

No one owned the lands, until they were claimed by England’s King Charles II, who granted them to the Lords Proprietors, who, in turn, granted them to others. What is now our campus was beyond the limits of Charles Towne, which was moved from its original location at Albermarle Point, west of the Ashley River, to the peninsula in 1680. Our land, granted first to Henry Hughes in the 1670s, passed to John Coming. In 1698, a part of that parcel, containing the core of the campus, was conveyed by Coming’s widow, Affra Harleston Coming, to the Pinckney family. (The names of Coming St., which runs through campus, and Harleston Village, just west of it, reflect this early history.) In 1724, a Pinckney heir sold some of this land to the Commissioners of the Free School, making public education the land’s now fulfilled destiny. The large tract of land bounded to the north on a marsh (now Calhoun St.between St. Philip and Coming streets, an area that still floods occasionally) and southerly (south of present-day George St.) on a tract donated by Affra Harleston Coming to St. Philip’s Church. (This gave rise to other street names in the neighborhood – St. Philip and Glebe – the latter word meaning property of a church.) Some of the first structures on the land in the Colonial era were wooden barracks, soon replaced by two brick barracks. The barracks were used in the American Revolution by the Second SC Regiment under William Moultrie. Plats indicate that those buildings were in the approximate area of what is now Cistern Yard.

The College’s first president Bishop Robert Smith, who lived nearby, was not just a clergyman, but a plantation owner whose wealth came from enslaved people who worked his land. (Almost all early endowments came from similar sources: Benjamin Smith, the first contributor to the College, no relation to Robert Smith, was a wealthy slave and plantation owner, as well, and Miles Brewton, another donor, was a slave trader.) President Smith, who would own more than 200 human beings at his death in 1801, was in the position to advance the struggling College funds to repair the barracks classrooms records also reveal that people he enslaved worked on related projects, for which he billed the institution. To pay off those debts after his death, the College trustees, mostly wealthy slave owners themselves, cut Green Street (now Green Way, converted to a pedestrian mall in the 1970s) through its lands, attempting to rent lots along it. The College’s land was now quartered into four approximately equal squares or blocks, the extreme outer limits being Boundary (now Calhoun), St. Philip, George and Coming streets, with College Street running north/south through the parcel, and Green Street running east/west through it. In 1817, the College was forced to sell most of its land to satisfy the debt, restricting its precincts to the southeast square of land bounded by George, College, Green and St. Philip streets.

On these lands, fringing the compact campus, rose houses, large and small, of men and women white and black, free and enslaved, many of whom could not legally attend the school whose student body consisted mostly of the white slave-owning elite. (There were religious, educational civic buildings and graveyards in the neighborhood, too.) As the College grew and eventually became state supported in the 20th century, it began to acquire more of the surrounding property. Many buildings were torn down, some were saved, and others relocated. After all these changes, the College of Charleston now includes the approximate parcel it possessed at its founding, and more: the campus now extends north of Calhoun Street, east of St. Philip Street, across Coming Street and as far south as Wentworth Street. There are other non-contiguous College lands on the peninsula and others across both the Ashley and Cooper Rivers.

Within the over 30 acres of the downtown campus are innumerable stories to discover.


Schau das Video: Granny is Mr Bean! (Dezember 2021).