Nachrichten

Peter Demill - Geschichte

Peter Demill - Geschichte

Peter Demill

(Rinde: t. 300)

Peter Demill, ein von der Marine in New London, Connecticut, am 9. November 1861 für den Einsatz in der "Steinflotte" gekauftes Handelsschiff, wurde am 8. Dezember 1861 mit Südamerika und Kosaken gestrandet, um während der Landung der Truppen in Tybee als Kai zu dienen Insel, Gal, an der Mündung des Savannah River.


Tauchen auf Tybee Island, GA

Tybee Island, eine gut zugängliche Barriereinsel an der Atlantikküste Georgias, liegt nur 29 km östlich der Innenstadt von Savannah. Urlauber kommen in Scharen während der Monate mit warmem Wetter, um alle Wassersportarten zu genießen, die Tybee zu bieten hat, wobei Tauchen zu den beliebtesten gehört. Taucher aller Erfahrungsstufen werden einem Unterwasserabenteuer ausgesetzt, das riesige künstliche Riffe, dramatische Steilhänge, eine Fülle von Meereslebewesen und zahlreiche Schiffswracks umfasst, die nur reif für eine Erkundung sind.


Peter Demill - Geschichte

Cecil Blount DeMille war ein Begründer der Hollywood-Filmindustrie, einer der kommerziell erfolgreichsten Produzenten und Regisseure seiner Zeit und einer der einflussreichsten Filmemacher der Geschichte. Zwischen 1914 und 1956 drehte er siebzig Spielfilme, bis auf sieben waren alle profitabel. Cecil B. DeMille ist ein Synonym für religiöse Epen: Der König der Könige, Simson und Delila, und Die Zehn Gebote (1956). Er mischte Spektakel, Sex und eine faszinierende Erzählung, um eine Botschaft des Glaubens zu vermitteln.

Es war DeMille, die das Image des allmächtigen Regisseurs schuf, Megaphon in der Hand, Stiefel und Schirmmütze tragend. DeMille gab Hollywood zahlreiche Stars: Wallace Reid, Gloria Swanson, William („Hopalong Cassidy“) Boyd, Claudette Colbert, Robert Preston, Jean Arthur und Charlton Heston.

DeMille hat die Posts des Studio Story Editors, Art Director und Concept Artist erstellt. Er war einer der ersten, der Theaterbeleuchtung an einem Filmset einsetzte. In den späten 1920er Jahren, als Hollywood auf Tonfilm umstellte, widersetzte sich DeMille den Tonexperten, befreite die Kamera aus einer engen Kabine und implementierte den Mikrofonarm.

DeMilles Autorität erstreckte sich über die Grenzen seines Ateliers hinaus. Er war eine Macht in der Luftfahrt, im Bankwesen, in der Politik und im Immobilienwesen. In den 1930er Jahren wurde sein Ruhm als Filmemacher von seinem Ruhm als Radiostar übertroffen.

Er war Gründer der Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, einer Institution, von der er schließlich zwei Auszeichnungen erhielt. 1953 sein Film Die großartigste Show der Welt gewann den Preis für das beste Bild von 1952 und wurde mit dem Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award ausgezeichnet.

DeMilles Einfluss auf die Weltkultur ist unberechenbar, aber es gibt Schätzungen und Meilensteine. Seine Biographie von Jesus Christus, Der König der Könige, war ein Stummfilm, aber aufgrund einer einzigartigen Vertriebsvereinbarung wurde er schließlich von 800 Millionen Zuschauern gesehen. Simson und Delila (1949) und Die Zehn Gebote (1956) werden immer noch unter den Top Ten der Box-Office-Champions aller Zeiten aufgeführt. Sie generieren weiterhin Einnahmen und regen zum Nachdenken an.

Cecil B. DeMille Regie Die Zehn Gebote in Ägypten, November 1954. Porträt von G.E. Richardson

Cecil B. DeMille, das Bild des Hollywood-Regisseurs. Porträt von Witzel

Geburt und Abstammung

Cecil B. DeMille wurde am 12. August 1881 in Ashfield, Massachusetts geboren. Sein Vater, Henry de Mille, wurde in Washington, North Carolina, mit niederländischen und englischen Vorfahren geboren. Henry war ein bischöflicher Laienminister und ein erfolgreicher Dramatiker.

DeMilles Mutter wurde Beatrice Samuels als Tochter deutsch-jüdischer Eltern in London geboren, wuchs aber in New York auf. Vor ihrer Heirat mit Henry de Mille konvertierte sie zum protestantischen bischöflichen Glauben. Beatrice war Pädagogin und wurde später die zweite weibliche Spielvermittlerin in Amerika.

Cecil hatte einen älteren Bruder William (geboren 1878) und eine Schwester Agnes (1891-1895).


Sonntag, 29. Januar 2017

Robert J. Young - Ehemann von Dorothy Rasmussen

Viele Jahre lang war ich verblüfft darüber, was mit Robert J. Young passiert ist, der vom Onkel gewesen wäre. Bis vor kurzem blieb er ein Rätsel. Das einzige, was ich wirklich wusste, war, dass er Tante Dorothys (Dot) erster Ehemann war. Meine einzige andere Verbindung zu ihm war ein alterndes Hochzeitsfoto meiner Tante Lillian Rasmussen mit ihrem Bräutigam John White. Johns Sohn bestätigte mir in späteren Jahren, dass Robert und Dorothy bei dieser Hochzeit Trauzeuge und Trauzeugin waren, die alle auf dem Bild unten zu sehen sind.

Nach dem Tod von Dorothy Parker, geborene Rasmussen, besser bekannt als Tante Dot, half meine Mutter (Lois J. Muller, geborene O’Neal) meinem Onkel beim Ausräumen ihrer persönlichen Gegenstände. Zum Zeitpunkt ihres Todes befanden sich die meisten ihrer Habseligkeiten noch bei Robert Muller in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Wie es das Schicksal so wollte, landete meine Mutter mit ein paar Kleinigkeiten von Tante Dots, einschließlich Vintage-Spitze und Unterwäsche. Unter diesen Gegenständen wurden Briefe von ihrem ersten Ehemann Robert J. Young gefunden. Noch in gutem Zustand hatte Tante Dot diese Briefe über 60 Jahre lang aufbewahrt. Damit die Originale erhalten bleiben, habe ich ihren Inhalt transkribiert, damit alle ein bisschen mehr in ihr Leben hineinlesen können. Dies geschah 2001.

Vor kurzem habe ich bei NYC.gov ein Risiko eingegangen und eine Sterbeurkunde für einen 1930 verstorbenen Horatio Young angefordert. Bei meinen ersten Recherchen vor Jahren hatte ich eine Notiz, dass Robert möglicherweise einen zweiten Vornamen von Horatio hat, also dachte ich Ich würde es riskieren. Robert, von dem wir wissen, dass er 1930 verstorben war, wie in der Volkszählung von 1930 angegeben, die Frau Dorothy als verwitwet zeigt, dachte ich, dass dieses Zertifikat vielversprechend sein könnte. Als ich die Bescheinigung erhielt, stellte ich jedoch fest, dass diese Person zum Zeitpunkt des Todes als ledig aufgeführt war, also schloss dies Robert aus. Aber das hat meine Recherchen über Robert neu belebt und ich habe die Briefe, die von Tante Dot aufbewahrt wurden, noch einmal besucht und angefangen, Namen und Informationen daraus zu ziehen. Ich habe diese Informationen dann zu meiner Suche auf Ancestry.com hinzugefügt und konnte endlich durchbrechen, um ein wenig mehr über ihn zu verstehen.

Das wurde enthüllt …

Robert J. Young wurde 1901/02 geboren. Er war der Sohn von Horatio Nelson und Kathryn Young. Er hatte 5 Geschwister Emily, Marion, Horatio, Maud und Ruth. Ironischerweise stellte sich heraus, dass die Sterbeurkunde, die ich ein Risiko eingegangen war, Roberts Bruder Horatio war! In den Briefen von Tante Dot bezog sich Robert oft auf Maud, Ruth und Emily. Es waren diese Namen seiner Geschwister, die ich, sobald sie zur Suche hinzugefügt wurden, in der Lage waren, die Verbindung herzustellen. Andere Informationen, die auftauchten, beinhalteten, dass Robert und sein Vater Horatio beide Polizisten waren, Horatio ein Kapitän war und dass Horatio auf dem Moravian Cemetery in New Dorp, Staten Island, begraben ist.

In seinem Brief an Dot wird schnell klar, dass Robert an etwas … höchstwahrscheinlich Tuberkulose erkrankt war, obwohl er sich in einem späteren Brief auch auf ’wie das Gas auf mich auswirkte” bezieht und ohne Polizei nicht zurückkehren konnte Auftrag. Seine Briefe enthalten viele Hinweise auf unbekannte Personen, aber andere enthalten ‘Ma’ und Jack, von denen ich jetzt glaube, dass es sich um Aaselie Dorothy Rasmussen (Ma) und John Gallagher handelt. John (Jack) Gallagher wurde auch der Pate von Robert Muller. Diese Erkenntnisse wurden deutlich, als ich den New York Census Record von 1925 erneut untersuchte, der zeigt, dass Dorothy (Ma), Lillian, Robert, Dorothy (Dot) und John Gallagher alle in der 70 State Street lebten.


Peter Demill - Geschichte

vier und ist in Manti, Friedhof begraben. Freeborn DeMill starb am 23. Januar 1881 in Manti im Alter von 85 Jahren und ist neben seiner Frau auf dem Manti-Friedhof begraben. Am 3. Mai 1856 heiratete Freeborn DeMill eine zweite Frau namens Lynittee Janett Richards und ihr wurden zwei Söhne geboren. Orrin, geboren am 29. Januar 1858, Manti, Utah, und Benjamin, geboren am 23. Januar 1860 in Manti, Utah. In seiner Akte berichtet er, dass der eine starb und der andere mit seiner Mutter in Ephraim lebte, datiert vom 21. April 1864. Von diesem anderen Sohn konnte ich keine Spur finden. Ich weiß nicht, ob er vor dem Heiratsalter gestorben ist oder nicht. Aus einem Buch, das von Loren DeLance Squire geschrieben und veröffentlicht wurde. Das Folgende sind Auszüge aus einem Artikel, der in The Pyramid”, Datum unbekannt, von David Mackey mit dem Titel “Lines from Hwy 89” erschienen ist. “Große zeitliche und räumliche Distanzen trennen die Gemeinden von Sanpete County von den abgelegenen Weilern Rockville und Springdale. Die kleinen Städte liegen versteckt zwischen den purpurroten Canyonwänden und dem Virgin River an der Südstraße zum Zion Canyon. … Diese Tasche des Planeten wurde größtenteils von Menschen besiedelt, die aus Sanpete verpflanzt wurden. Siedler, die die Nachnamen Petty, Black, Gifford, Brown, DeMill, Averett, Larsen, Stevens, Isaacson, Lemmon, Funk, Millet, Washburn, Klingensmith, Allred, Beal, Thaxton, Stocks, Siler, Kenner und Whitlock trugen, gehörten zu denen, die Bewohner der Gegend werden würden. … Es war Isaac Behunin, der als erster einen einsamen Anspruch am Ort des heutigen Ephraim abgesteckt hatte. Als andere begannen, unmittelbar um ihn herum in das Sanpete-Land einzudringen, erzählte er Berichten zufolge einem Freund, dass er ihn zwar als Nachbarn haben möchte, es aber nur Wasser genug für eine Familie gebe. Also zog der Gründer um. Derselbe Behunin-Pionier zog später mit seiner Familie in den heutigen Zion-Nationalpark. Schließlich bestand die kleine Siedlung, die als “Zion” bekannt war, aus etwa sechs Familien, aber aus verschiedenen Gründen hörte die Stadt 1875 auf zu existieren, als die Menschen wegzogen. … Der Grabstein von Oliver und Emily DeMille steht inmitten zahlreicher Verwandter. DeMille wurde 1830 geboren und repräsentierte nicht nur die Anfänge von Sanpete, sondern seine Eltern, Freeborn und Anna Knight DeMill, gehörten zu den ersten, die im selben Jahr in die von Joseph Smith gegründete neue Kirche getauft wurden. …”


Über Nelson DeMille

Nelson Richard DeMille wurde am 23. August 1943 in New York City als Sohn von Huron und Antonia (Panzera) DeMille geboren und zog dann mit seinen Eltern nach Long Island. Er absolvierte die Elmont Memorial High School, wo er Fußball spielte und Leichtathletik lief.

DeMille verbrachte drei Jahre an der Hofstra University, trat dann der Armee bei, wo er die Officer Candidate School besuchte und von 1966 bis 1969 zum Leutnant der US-Armee ernannt wurde. Er war in Vietnam als Infanterie-Zugführer der First Cavalry Division aktiv und wurde mit der Air Medal, dem Bronze Star und dem Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry ausgezeichnet und erhielt das Combat Infantry Badge.

Nach seiner Entlassung kehrte DeMille an die Hofstra University zurück, wo er seinen Bachelor in Politikwissenschaft und Geschichte erhielt. Er hat drei Kinder, Lauren, Alexander und James, und lebt auf Long Island.

DeMilles erster großer Roman war An den Flüssen von Babylon, erschienen 1978, und ist wie alle seine nachfolgenden Romane immer noch im Druck. Er ist Mitglied der American Mensa, The Authors Guild und ehemaliger Präsident der Mystery Writers of America. Er ist außerdem Mitglied von International Thriller Writers und wurde zum ThrillerMaster of the Year 2015 gewählt. DeMille ist Ehrenvorsitzender der Walt Whitman Birthplace Association und hält drei Ehrendoktortitel: Doctor of Humane Letters der Hofstra University, Doctor of Literature from Long Island University und Doctor of Humane Letters vom Dowling College.

Nelson DeMille ist der Autor von: By the Rivers of Babylon, Cathedral, The Talbot Odyssey, Word of Honor, The Charm School, The Gold Coast, The General's Daughter, Spencerville, Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Up Country, Night Fall, Wild Fire, The Gate House, The Lion, The Panther, The Quest, Radiant Angel, The Cuban Affair, The Deserter (gemeinsam mit seinem Sohn Alex DeMille verfasst) und The Maze. Er ist außerdem Co-Autor von Mayday mit Thomas Block und hat Kurzgeschichten zu Anthologien sowie Buchbesprechungen und Artikel für Zeitschriften und Zeitungen beigetragen.


Nelson DeMille hat sich einen Namen gemacht, weil er einige wirklich spannende Bücher geschrieben hat, dies zusammen mit der Abkehr von der Norm, Geschichten mit typischen Hollywood-Filmenden abzuschliessen, einige der besten Bücher in Nelsons Bibliographie, darunter die folgenden:

Die Tochter des Generals: Captain Ann Campbell ist nicht nur der Stolz von Fort Hadley, sondern die West Point Graduate ist auch die Tochter von General ‘Fighting Joe' Campbell. Ein explosiver politischer Fall bricht aus, als Ann tot und nackt auf dem Schießstand aufgefunden wird.

Paul Brenner ist der Ermittler, der hinzugezogen wird, um die Situation zu verstehen. Als Mitglied einer elitären Undercover-Ermittlungseinheit arbeitet Brenner mit der Vergewaltigungsspezialistin Cynthia Sunhill zusammen, um den Täter zu finden.

Die Tatsache, dass Brenner und Sunhill einmal eine stürmische Affäre hatten, macht die Sache nur komplizierter und bei den Ermittlungen zu Ford Hadleys Golden Girl stellt das Duo überrascht fest, mit wie vielen Menschen Ann sexuell und emotional involviert war.

Unter den gebügelten Uniformen und Ehrenkodizes des Militärs beginnen Brenner und Sunhill, Korruption aufzudecken.

Jeder Armeeveteran, der dieses Nelson DeMille-Buch gelesen hat, ist schockiert, wie genau seine Darstellung des Lebens im Militär ist. Das Buch befasst sich mit dem brutalen Mord an der Tochter eines Generals, obwohl das Treiben des Militärs schnell im Mittelpunkt steht.

Nelson sollte dafür gelobt werden, dass er die Einstellung zu Frauen in West Point angeht, zusammen mit den unangenehmen Elementen der Korruption, die sich darunter winden. Es gibt Charaktere in dem Buch, die so verdorben sind, dass sie einige Leser schockieren werden, und das Problem, dass Männer und Frauen Seite an Seite dienen, wird stark in den Fokus gerückt.

Anzumerken ist, dass in diesem Buch, so dunkel die Dinge auch sein mögen, immer noch überraschend viel Humor steckt, insbesondere das Geplänkel zwischen Brenner und Sunhill.

Die Zauberschule: In den USA werden jungen KGB-Agenten von amerikanischen Kriegsgefangenen beigebracht, wie man Bürger vorbildet. Die finstere Operation findet in den russischen Wäldern bei Borodino statt, an einem Ort namens Mrs. Ivanovas Charm School.

Die Sowjetunion hat Pläne, die Vereinigten Staaten zu infiltrieren, und sie wollen dies unentdeckt tun. Als ein ahnungsloser amerikanischer Tourist auf diese Operation stößt, setzt er Ereignisse in Gang, die beginnen, die Wildheit und den Verrat in der Sowjetunion aufzudecken.

The Charm School ist ein spannender Thriller. Das Buch bewegt sich in einem sehr schnellen Tempo und zeichnet ein lebendiges Bild des Lebens in der Sowjetunion. Die Charaktere sind sehr gut definiert, das schreckliche Geheimnis tief im Wald sorgt für ein weißes Ende.

Einige Leser haben sich darüber beschwert, dass das Buch etwas zu wortreich ist, aber das tut der Intrige dieses Spionagethrillers keinen Abbruch. Dies ist das perfekte Buch für alle, die mit Nelson DeMilles Werk noch nicht vertraut sind und mit der Lektüre seiner Romane beginnen möchten.


Root, Postfach Randall

Lounsbury (sic), Louis, Sohn von Louis, wurde am 6. Juli 1813 in der Stadt Onondaga in der Grafschaft Onondaga geboren. Sein Vater war Schuhmacher und betrieb dieses Geschäft in der Nähe des Indianerreservats. Louis absolvierte die Onondaga Academy und trat nach dem Abitur in den Laden von Orin Tyler ein, wo er etwa vier Jahre blieb.

Dann trat er in einen Trockenwarenladen in Syrakus ein, wo er drei Jahre lang weitermachte. Als nächstes unterrichtete er etwa vier Jahre lang Schreibschulen in verschiedenen Städten und betrieb dann mehrere Jahre lang ein Boot auf dem Erie-Kanal. Und um 1850 befand er sich in Yatesville (eigentlich ist Randall heute anders als im aktuellen Yatesville, NY) und baute ein Geschäft, das mehrere Jahre lang tätig war.

Er war drei Jahre lang Superintendent des Erie-Kanals, ging dann nach New York City und wurde dort von 1858 bis 1885 Postwart. Anschließend kehrte er in diesen Bezirk zurück, wo er seither lebt. Er war maßgeblich daran beteiligt, das Postamt hier einzurichten, und rief das Büro Randall an.

Sein Sohn John E. war der erste Postmeister. Er heiratete Mary A. Martin und hatte sechs Kinder, von denen fünf überleben: Louis E., Helen, Elizabeth, Thurlow Weed, Louise E., Darsey E. und John Edward, William B. und George H., die letzten drei verstorben. Herr Lounsbury ist Republikaner, seit diese Partei organisiert wurde.

Seite 260 NEW YORK IN DER REVOLUTION, ERGÄNZUNG

DIE BEAUFTRAGTEN DER VERFÜGUNGEN

Diese Beamten verkauften die Immobilien von Tories und anderen, die entweder zum Feind übergegangen waren oder verdächtigt wurden, der amerikanischen Sache nicht freundlich gesinnt zu sein. Sie waren in ihren Konten viel systematischer als die Commissioners of Sequestration, die sich größtenteils mit persönlichem Eigentum befassten. Die Einziehungsbeauftragten erhielten auch von den Rechnungsprüfern ausgestellte Bescheinigungen zur Liquidation und Begleichung der Rechnungen der Truppen dieses Staates und überwiesen sie an den Staatsschatzmeister. Ein Teil des Erlöses der Kommissare half den Armen. (Siehe Die Armen, die aus New York City kamen, im Kapitel über „Die Provinzkongresse“).

Der Sicherheitsausschuss verabschiedete am 1. März 1777 eine Resolution bezüglich der Commissioners of Forfeitures. Da Zweifel hinsichtlich der Tragweite dieses Beschlusses für den Staatsschatzmeister aufgekommen waren, wurde ein Gesetz zur Beseitigung dieser Zweifel erlassen. Der Schatzmeister bestätigte den Eingang von über 9.000 Euro gemäß dieser Resolution zwischen dem 11. Mai 1777 und dem 1. Juli 1779. Dies beschreibt er als "Gelder fällig an Personen, die innerhalb der feindlichen Linien oder außerhalb des Staates waren oder an Personen, die hatte sich geweigert, Contin'l Money zu erhalten". Während eines Teils des Junis 1779 und danach lehnte der Schatzmeister wegen seiner Zweifel an der oben erwähnten Resolution Angebote von abgewertetem Geld ab.

Die Arbeit der Einziehungskommissare begann erst gegen Ende des Krieges. Das Gesetz vom 22. Oktober 1779 begann die Arbeit wirklich, indem es die Namen vieler Personen nannte, deren Eigentum erlangt worden war. Das Gesetz vom 10. März 1780 wies die Kommissare an, Eigentum dieser Art sofort zu verkaufen. Am 12. Mai 1784 wurde der Gouverneur ermächtigt, sieben Kommissare zu ernennen. Das Amt des Kommissars für Einziehungen wurde am 21. März 1788 abgeschafft und alle diesbezüglichen Befugnisse wurden dem Generalvermesser Simeon De Witt übertragen. Er hatte die Vollmacht, alle verfallenen Ländereien an den Staat zu verkaufen. Seine Rechnungen zeigen, dass die Käufer für die Ländereien in Zertifikaten dieser Art, Abgabe, Abschreibung, Forderung und Kapital bezahlt haben.

Das Gesetz vom 11. April 1792 hob das Gesetz vom 22. Oktober 1779 auf, damit die darin genannten Personen zurückkehren konnten, aber das Gesetz berührte nicht den Status ihres Eigentums. Am 18. Dezember 1792 wurde ein Gesetz zur Entlastung mehrerer Personen erlassen, deren Eigentum entwendet worden war.

Der Staatsschatzmeister erklärte im August 1794, dass er 109005.11.0 in Forderungen gegen verfallene Güter erhalten habe, die liquidiert und in der Schatzkammer hinterlegt worden seien.

Der Einfachheit halber wurde der Staat in diese Distrikte unterteilt: Ost, Mitte, Süd und West.

Der Eastern District umfasste die Grafschaften Charlotte, Cumberland und Gloucester. Die Kommissare waren David Hopkins und Alexander Webster. Sie wurden 24/- pro Tag bezahlt und wurden von vielen Gutachtern unterstützt. Der Umsatz von Hopkins betrug von Oktober bis Dezember 1784 9982,2,0 im Jahr 1785, 6113,19,3 und in den Jahren 1787-1788 584.17.3 21149.10.1. Der Betrag ihrer gemeinsamen Verkäufe betrug etwa 40.000 €. Sie erhielten Abgabescheine oder Abschreibungsscheine für den Kauf von Land und übergaben dieselben an den Staatsschatzmeister.

Der Mittlere Bezirk umfasste die Grafschaften Dutchess, Orange und Ulster. Samuel Dodge, Daniel Graham und John Hathorn waren die Kommissare. Ihr Gehalt war 24/- pro Tag. (Siehe Gesetz vom 12. Mai 1784). Aus den Konten geht hervor, dass ihre Ausgaben 2707.9.3 € betrugen. vom 9. April 1780 bis 30. April 1785. Graham's Sales, vom Juli. 1785 bis Mai 1786 waren 3075. Die Verkäufe erreichten anscheinend eine Gesamtsumme von 64363,8,6 EUR, wobei die Verkäufe in Dutchess County größer waren als in den anderen beiden Countys zusammen. Sie zahlten in die Staatskasse die folgenden Arten von Banknoten ein: - Curtenius' Barber's Levy, Loan Office, Horse and State Agents'.

Der südliche Bezirk, der den Kommissaren Stoutenburgh und Philip Van Cortlandt unterstand, umfasste die Grafschaften Kings, New York, Queens, Richmond, Suffolk und Westchester. Zu ihren Papieren gehört eine Resolution des Konvents vom 11. Februar 1777, die beschreibt: William Lounsbury als "eine der betroffenen Personen in Spikeing the Cannon at Kingsbridge &, die sich danach dem Feind anschloss und getötet wurde"

Viele der Leser des Baums haben Zugang zu Heimcomputern oder zu gemeinsam genutzten Computern in Bibliotheken oder Schulen. Wenn Sie zu dieser Gruppe gehören, werden Sie sich freuen zu erfahren, dass Sie im Internet weitere Familieninformationen finden können. Richten Sie Ihre Websoftware einfach auf:

Hier finden Sie Informationen über Wiedervereinigungen, genealogische Ressourcen, einen Online-Stammbaum, Forschungsunterstützung und Diskussionsgruppen. Es ist einfach zu bedienen und macht Spaß. Probieren Sie es noch heute aus!

Pennoyer- und Lounsbury-Notizen

Von Winifred Lovering Holman, S.B., F.A.S.G., Lexington, Mass .

Als Genealoge für Harvard hatte ich, was die Forschung im Zusammenhang mit ihren Stipendien auf der Grundlage der Anforderungen der Vorfahren betrifft, viel von dem Material von Pennoyer und Lounsbury zur Hand. Die zusätzlichen Daten wurden 1949 für Mrs. John Mitchell Morrison aus Towanda, Pennsylvania, und Miami, Florida, gesichert und werden hier mit ihrer Erlaubnis und mit gebührender Anerkennung ihrer Großzügigkeit vorgelegt.

Diese kurzen Anmerkungen müssen als Grundlage für umfassendere Recherchen betrachtet werden, da nur wenige Originalquellen herangezogen wurden.

Es gab drei Pennoyer-Brüder in England, für die wir uns interessieren. Es erscheint seltsam, dass meines Wissens niemand jemals Informationen über ihre Abstammung und Vorfahren gesichert und veröffentlicht hat. Das College of Arms in London hat einen teilweisen Stammbaum, dem ich Daten beigefügt habe, aber er enthält überhaupt nichts über die Vorläufer. Wie wir später sehen werden, könnte es einen vierten Bruder gegeben haben.

Im Jahr 1901 veröffentlichte der verstorbene Henry F. Waters in zwei Bänden seine "Genealogical Gleanings in England" und präsentiert in Band 1, Seiten 503-506, die Testamente der Brüder William und Samuel Pennoyer und ihrer beiden Witwen. Uns interessiert besonders der Wille von William, dessen Erbe die Pennoyer Aid in Harvard begründete.

Samuel, ein Kaufmann aus London, hatte Rose Hobson geheiratet und am 29. Juni 1652 sein Testament erstellt, am 12. Mai 1654 bewiesen und seinen Bruder William und dessen Frau Martha erwähnt. Rose heiratete zweitens als seine zweite Frau Samuel Disbrow und starb in Elsworth, Cambridgshire, am 10. Dezember 1690 im Alter von 75 Jahren, während Disbrow dort am 4. März 1698 im Alter von 82 Jahren starb.

William hatte Martha, die Tochter von John Josselyn aus Hide Hall, Sawbridgeworth, Herts., von seiner Frau Elizabeth Wiseman geheiratet. Als Bürger und Tuchmacher von London machte William Pennoyer sein Testament vom 25. Mai 1670 am 13. Februar 1670-71 beglaubigt.

In dieser Urkunde hinterließ er 800 "zur Übersendung an die Corporation for the Propagation of the Gospel in New England", mit der Absicht und dem Zweck, dass ihr Wert in Gütern und Waren dieses Landes "nach dem Verkauf davon geliefert werden kann" Robert Pennoyer aus Stamford in Neuengland für den gleichen Nutzen und Nutzen für ihn und jedes seiner Kinder weiter mit der Absicht und dem Zweck, dass das, was über den genannten Wert von achthundert Pfund an den Waren dieses Landes daraus gemacht werden soll und bleibt seine Schwester Elianor Reading und ihr Mann Thomas Reading und alle ihre Kinder gleich und gleichgültig".

Er besaß Land und Mietshäuser in Co. Norfolk, wovon 10 pro Jahr an die Corporation for Propagation of the Gospel in New England und 34 pro Jahr gespendet wurden. mit denen "zwei Gefährten und zwei Gelehrte für immer erzogen werden sollen, gehalten und erzogen wird in dem College namens Cambridge College in Neuengland, von dem ich einen von ihnen wünsche, so oft es die Gelegenheit bietet, kann von der Linie oder der Nachkommenschaft der" sagte Robert Pennoyer, wenn sie dazu in der Lage sind und der andere der Kolonie jetzt oder später Newhaven Colony genannt wird, wenn dies zweckmäßig ist.

Harvard hat dieses Anwesen in Norfolk erst kürzlich verkauft. Der dritte Bruder, Robert Pennoyer, ist der Gründer der amerikanischen Niederlassung, es folgen kurze Notizen über ihn.

Robert Pennoyer, Bruder von William (der Erblasser von 1670 und Wohltäter des Harvard College), ein Dreher von Beruf, vielleicht 1614 geboren, lebte im Januar 1677, dann von Mamaroneck, Westchester Co., NY, und wohnte in Gravesend, Long Island, NY, Stamford, Connecticut, und Rye und Mamaroneck. Er heiratete erstens um 1652 eine unbekannte Frau, die Mutter seiner Kinder wurde und am 6. März 1671 starb, und zweitens nach 1666 und vor dem 6. März 1671 Elizabeth Scofield, Witwe von Richard Scofield aus Stamford.

Es wurde angenommen, dass dieser Robert mit einem Robert Pennaird, 21 Jahre alt, identisch ist, der mit einem Thomas Pennaird, 10 Jahre alt (möglicherweise ein jüngerer Bruder), auf der Hopewell in London, Thomas Babb, Master, vorbeikam. Sie segelte etwa Mitte September und erreichte Boston, Massachusetts, Ende November 1635. (Banks: 'Planters of the Commonwealth', 1930.) Er war sicherlich der Robert Pennoyer aus Gravesend, Long Island, im Jahr 164 - und nochmals 1645. (Record, 16:99, 102.) 23. August 1656 erfahren wir, dass die Ländereien von Robert Pennoyer et al. in Gravesend vermessen wurden, aus dem Kalender der niederländischen Ms., 189. ( Ebd., 65:242.) 1. August 1670, seine Tochter Elizabeth "Penrye" war verheiratet mit Richard Lownesbury vom Court of Assizes, 2572. (O'Callaghan: "New York Marriages", 1860, 239.) 24 Dez. 1670 John Richbell, von Mamaroneck, mit seiner Frau Ann, verkauft an Robert "Penoire", homelots, Nummern 2 und 3, siehe Liber 1677-1683 [in Albany?] (Aufzeichnung, 58:250.)

6. März 1671 wurde das Inventar erstellt oder der Nachlass von Richard Scofield, verstorben von Stamford, verstorben, am 16. März 1671 hinterlegt, in dem die Witwe, jetzt die Frau von Robert "Penoyer", erwähnt wird. (Met: Ms. "Fairfield Probate", 1:22.) Die nächste Aufzeichnung erscheint in Boston am 18. Oktober 1671

"Ich Robert Penoyer Late of Stamford doe. Ordayne mein... Freund Jonathan Sellick, um mein zu sein. Anwalt, um für mich mein volles Erbe zu erhalten Roggen am 18. Oktober 1671. Robert Penoire". Witz: John Richman, Miles Okely und das Zeichen von Nicolas Webster, beglaubigt am 19. Oktober 1672 von Richman und Webster recd. 20. April 1672. (Suffolk Deeds, 6:280.)

Weitere Urkunden sind von Interesse, um die Namen seiner Kinder zu beweisen:

8. Jan. 1671-72, Robert "Penoyer", von Mamaroneck, übergab den von Richbell erworbenen Besitz an seine innig geliebten Kinder: William und Thomas Penoyer das Vieh und den Hausrat, der zwischen besagten Söhnen und Tochter aufgeteilt werden sollte, Martha Penoyer Robert sollte während seines natürlichen Lebens die volle Verwaltung des gesamten Eigentums haben. Westchester-Urkunden, B:100. (Aufzeichnung, 58:351.) Eine andere Zusammenfassung dieser Urkunde gibt das Datum als 18. Januar 1671-72 an, nennt den Schenker "Penoyre", rezitiert, dass er den Kindern, William und Thomas, alle Rechte an seinem Nachlass gegeben hat, real und persönlich an den ältesten Sohn William, zwei Drittel des Landes gekauft von besagtem Richbell, und mangels Ausgabe an Sohn Thomas Tochter, Martha, ebenfalls genannt. Westchester-Urkunden, B:100. (Ebd., 54:394.)

1. Januar 1677, eine Aussage, die William Penoyer Walter Butler aus Greenwich Conn., Sohn von Evan Butler aus Cursonn, in der Grafschaft Hereford, die Summe von vier Score-Pfund, Westchester Deeds, in Albany, 4 vermachte: 26. (ebd., 58.349.)

Aufgenommen für Mr. George Heathcott, 7. Januar 1677. "Während William Penoyer, Esq., Bürger und Textilarbeiter von London, seinen letzten Willen schriftlich mit dem Datum des fünfundzwanzigsten Mais ... 1670 und unter anderem niederlegte ordnete an, dass .800 in für Neuengland geeigneten Waren ausgelegt und an die Gesellschaft zur Verbreitung des Evangeliums in Neuengland geschickt wurden, die an Robert Penoyer aus Stratford [Stamford] zu seinen Gunsten und zu seinen Gunsten geliefert wurde ., & Michael Davison, Esq., Executors . . der Rest an Ellena. Reading & ihre Kinder. Die SD Michael Davison ist seitdem gestorben Der Erlös wird unter den jeweiligen Personen aufgeteilt, es können auch keine Sicherheiten für Kinder übernommen werden Robert Penoyer wird nach Mamaroneck im Bundesstaat New York gebracht und hat nur 4 lebende Kinder, nämlich Elizabeth Pennoyer, 24 Jahre, William Pennoyer, 22 Jahre, Thomas Pennoyer, Alter d 17, und Martha

Pennoyer, 11 Jahre alt, minderjährig, Januar 1677. Unterzeichnet

Elizabeth Pennoyer, jetzt Lounsbury

Witz: William Dyre, George Kniffon, John Royse, William Hall und Anthony Buckholm. Westchester Deeds, Albany, 4:9. (Ebd., 58:349.)

29. Januar 1677, Robert Penoyer aus Mamaroneck, Turner, William Penoyer, aus demselben Ort, Sohn des besagten Robert, mit Richard Lounsbury aus Rye, Connecticut, und Elizabeth Lounsbury, seiner Frau, älteste Tochter des besagten Robert , übermittelt an Richard Leton, London, England, und George Heathcott, Middlesex Co., England, Seemann, per Anleihe. Westchester Deeds, in Albany, 4:23. (Ebd., 58:349.)

In einer Urkunde vom 2. April 1694 wird Land erwähnt, das sich früher im Besitz von Robert Pennoyer und jetzt im Besitz seines Sohnes (ohne Namen) befand. Westchester Deeds, B: 177. (ebd., 54:394.) Es scheint daher, dass Robert im April 1694 mit Sicherheit tot war.


Peter Demill - Geschichte

Home Bestände und Sammlungen Findmittel Seeprovinzen Kanadas Kaufleute und Reeder

Händler und Reeder in den Seeprovinzen Kanadas

Ein Leitfaden zu den Papieren von Kaufleuten und Reedern der Seeprovinzen Kanadas

Herbert Crowe Briefbuch , 1902
18 Seiten Textaufzeichnungen

Biografischer Entwurf
Herbert Crowe, 1856-1933, stammte aus Clifton, Colchester County, Nova Scotia. Er war der Sohn von James und Harriet Crowe aus Old Barns, Clifton, wo sein Vater ein erfolgreiches Schiffbauunternehmen betrieb. Er baute ein umfangreiches Getreidegeschäft im kanadischen Westen auf und kehrte später nach Nova Scotia zurück, wo er in Halifax ein Holzgeschäft namens Crowe Lumber Co eröffnete. Er kehrte in den Westen zurück, wo er in Winnipeg ein weiteres Holzunternehmen gründete, die Beaver Holzunternehmen. Als sein Geschäft florierte, verlegte er seinen Hauptsitz nach New York, wo er ein weiteres Getreidegeschäft gründete und als Käufer an der Getreidebörse bekannt wurde. Er zog sich im ersten Jahrzehnt des 20. Jahrhunderts aus dem Geschäft zurück und verbrachte seine Sommer in Nova Scotia und seine Winter in Boston und New York. Er starb im Oktober 1933 in Nova Scotia.
Quellen: Informationen aus seinem Nachruf in den Truro Daily News und von Carol Campbell

Umfang und Inhalt
Dieser Artikel enthält fotokopierte Auszüge aus einem Briefbuch von 1902, das Korrespondenz zur Entwicklung einer Schiffbaupolitik in Kanada enthält.

Referenzinformationen
Das Urheberrecht liegt bei den öffentlichen Archiven von Nova Scotia.
Ort: MF-0166, Maritime History Archive
Findbuch Maritime History Archive 27

Verwaltungsinformationen
Gekauft von Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1977.
Fotokopiert aus dem Originaldokument, das 1977 im Public Archives of Nova Scotia aufbewahrt wurde.

Papiere der Familie Hilyard, 1855-1881
3,5 Zentimeter Textaufzeichnungen

Biografischer Entwurf
Thomas Hilyard war ein Schiffsbauer und Holzfäller, geboren im Oktober 1810 in St. John, New Brunswick, als Sohn von Thomas Hilyard und Margaret Miles. Er heiratete Matilda Dyer und hatte dreizehn Kinder. He died 22 June 1873 at Saint John.

Administrative history
Little detail of Thomas Hilyard's activities prior to 1852 are known. In 1842 he described himself as a shipwright and was also a registered shipowner. With the construction of two big ships in 1852 he started building on a large scale. He obtained, first by lease and later by purchase, a shipyard in Portland, Saint John County. In 1854 he bought an adjoining steam sawmill. In 1856 or 1857 he expanded by leasing and subsequently purchasing a neighboring shipyard from John Haws, for decades a leading shipbuilder in the area.

Hilyard launched at least 48 vessels, a number surpassed by few Canadian builders. His larger ships were often sold to major shipowners in Liverpool, England while the smaller vessels were generally sold locally. He gained a high reputation as a shipbuilder and the quality and quantity of his ships and the extent of his saw milling operations made him a leading figure in the economic life of the Saint John region.

Thomas Hilyard also registered eighteen vessels on the Saint John registry between 1842 and 1877.

After Hilyard died in 1873 his two sons Thomas K. and Henry continued the business until 1915.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol.X Ships and Seafarers of Atlantic Canada, CD ROM, Maritime History Archive, 1998

Scope and content
These papers contain accounts 1855-1863 leases for shipyard 1857-1864, bills of sale for vessels1856-1864, Moss Rose contracts to build vessels 1855-1865 correspondence 1862-1880 insurance policy for the Lottie Stewart, 1876 ships papers, 1864-1881, including the Meeranza at Liverpool, a charter party for the Teresa and a co-partnership agreement, 1869.

These thirty-three items represent approximately ten percent of the original collection held at the New Brunswick Museum.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: R95-17, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Photocopies acquired in the 1970s.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Thomas Hilyard, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 101
Hilyard Family Papers, New Brunswick Museum

James Peake papers, 1835-1866
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
James Ellis Peake, who emigrated from Plymouth, England to Charlottetown in 1823, was a merchant and shipowner of Prince Edward Island. He married a daughter of Ralph Brecken and Mathilda Robinson. In 1841, he sat on the Executive Council with John Brecken and Thomas Heath Haviland, the colonial secretary who had married another daughter of the Breckens. At this time, James Peake was the major shipbuilder in the colony.

Peake may have begun his own firm in the year following his arrival in Prince Edward Island. After 1824, he also appears to have been associated with the Brecken firm. In 1825, he purchased his first sailing vessel, one of 152 vessels which he would own over the next thirty-five years. These vessels were usually in the North Atlantic trade, mainly between Prince Edward Island or a New Brunswick timber port, and either Liverpool or Plymouth.

Peake's vessels were also involved in the coastal trade, carrying out island produce and picking up timber cargoes for transatlantic voyages. These investments marked him as one of the largest owners of shipping in eastern Canada during the first half of the nineteenth century. Peake was also engaged in other activities which were related to his maritime interests.

Peake owned several stores at which he sold the goods which he imported on his own vessels. He also acted as a broker for marine insurance, and operated a ship chandlery and outfitting business. Additionally, he dabbled in other mercantile activities until his death In 1856, Peake had become ill and returned to England where he died, May 4, 1860.
Sources: Lewis R. Fischer, "An engine yet moderate": James Peake, entrepreneurial behaviour and the shipping industry of Nineteenth Century Prince Edward Island, The Enterprising Canadians , Maritime History Group, 1979

Scope and content
These papers include selections from the Peake papers, consisting of letterbooks, 1835-1837 and 1845-1850, and outgoing and in-coming correspondence for 1841-1866.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island.
Location: Mic.1-2-4-11/12, Maritime History Archive
Maritime History Archive finding aid 74

Administrative information
Filmed from the original papers held at the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island.

James W. Carmichael papers, 1890-1906
30 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
Businessman, shipowner and politician of New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, James William Carmichael, born December 16, 1819, was the son of James Carmichael, the founder of the town of New Glasgow. He became a clerk in his father's business and in the early 1850s gradually took over his father's mercantile and shipping interests. By 1854, the firm was known as J.W. Carmichael and Company. He registered his first vessel, the Helen Stairs , in 1851, and, between then and 1869, built at least fourteen more vessels. By the 1870s, his shipbuilding yards were the most prominent in Pictou County. He constructed his largest vessel, the 1,174 ton Thiorva in 1876.

Carmichael invested in local business he held the agency for the Bank of Nova Scotia from 1866 to 1886, was president of the New Glasgow Marine Insurance Association and was chair of the New Glasgow Underwiters Association. By diversifying his investments, Carmichael maintained a strong position in Pictou county and his worth grew steadily. Carmichael was elected to the Nova Scotia Legislature as the member for Pictou in 1867, as a liberal and opponent of confederation. He lost his seat in 1872, was re-elected in 1874, and was defeated in 1878, 1882, and 1896. He was active in the community life of New Glasgow, taking part in religious, civic and charitable organizations. Carmichael died May 1, 1903.

The firm of J.W. Carmichael continued after the death of James and his son. In 1962, the firm went into voluntary liquidation bequeathing $670,000 to charitable organizations.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol. XIII, pp. 169-171

Scope and content
These papers consist of photocopies of part of the business papers of James Carmichael. The letterbooks deal mainly with shipbuilding in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, and other shipping business, and include correspondence with shipbrokers, Scammel Brothers, 1892-1901, Black, Moore and Co., 1893-1894, as well as correspondence with captains, 1891-1906 for the vessels Arnguda, Rock City, Helga, Brynhilda and Swanhilda and miscellaneous records such as vouchers and disbursements, 1890-1901.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: R95-35, Maritime History Archive

Administration information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1980.
Photocopied in 1980 from the original documents held at Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG2, No 224-421.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Carmichael, James W., Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 037

Leavitt (Lovett, Lovitt) Family papers , 1783-1875
1 reel of microfilm

Biographical sketch
The Leavitt family were merchants, shipowners and shipmasters of Saint John, New Brunswick.
Jonathan Leavitt (1746-1811)was a ship's captain and pilot. He married Hephzibah Peabody and they had eight sons and two daughters. His son Thomas (C1795 - 1850), who after his fathers death continued the family business, married Mary Ann Ketchum in 1822 and they had four sons and three daughters.

Thomas Leavitt's maternal aunts had married James Simmons and James White of the ship owning firm of Simmons, Hazen and White.

Administrative history
Johnathan Leavitt (1746-1811) came to Saint John in 1762 and served as captain and pilot on the vessels of the firm of Simonds, Hazen and White prior to the American Revolution. He prospered as a shipowner and mariner and at his death in 1811 he left a considerable estate. His son Thomas inherited half-interest in the family home, ownership of four choice lots in Saint John and a seventh part of a large landholding on the Miramichi River. In 1817 Thomas was admitted as a merchant freeman in the city of Saint John and from that time on he played an active role in business life in New Brunswick. In the 1830s and 1840s he acted as agent for the Liverpool Association of Underwriters and a number of New York marine insurance companies. In 1835 he was made the U.S. consul for Saint John. He was a founder of the City Bank in 1837 and later became the president of the Bank of New Brunswick. Thomas died 24 October 1850 at the age of 55.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. VII, p. 493 Leavitt Family Papers, Maritime History Archive

Scope and content
These papers include ships accounts, insurance policies and papers for the Sally , 1796-1801, Dove , 1797-1799, snow Mary , 1803-1804, Mary , 1803-1804, Susanna , 1805, Cattle , 1810, Paraquay , 1849-, General Higgins , 1851-52, Hibernia , 1789-1791, Belmont , 1858, Lampedo , 1856-1858 and Rosannah, 1785 Lovettt family letters (mostly to Daniel, George and Joseph), 1802-1866 Indentures and bonds, 1798-1874 Bills, receipts and promissory notes, 1700-1856 Daniel Lovett account book, 1798 Saint John city Poor House account book, 1810-1813.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-2, Maritime History Archive
There is an item level index included with the microfilm

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum 198-.
Filmed by MicRo Ltd. for the New Brunswick Museum, 1978.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Leavitt, William, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 136

Letterbooks of N. Smith DeMill , 1833-1851
1 reel of microfilm

Biographical sketch
Nathan DeMill,(1804-1864), loyalist, was a prosperous merchant, shipowner, and lumberman in Saint John, New Brunswick. He was active on the board of governors of Acadia College. Having left the Church of England, he became a Baptist who was a man of strong principles and a strict abstainer, nick-named "cold-water DeMill".
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. X, p. 223

Scope and content
These two letterbooks dated 1833-1847 and 1847-1851, which contain correspondence from Mr. DeMill to various businesses provide information about accounts, orders, cargo, sailing dates and voyage destinations.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-1, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum.
Microfilmed from the original documents held at the New Brunswick Museum.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, DeMill, Thomas, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 062

Moran-Galloway Company account book , 1867-1878
1 reel of microfilm

Administrative history
The Moran-Galloway Company were shipowners of Saint John, New Brunswick.

Scope and content
This account book records "Owners of vessels in Account Current with Moran, Galloway & Co", 1867-1878. In many of the entries, the owners include Robert Galloway, Robert G. Moran, and James H. Moran. The names of the vessels are also identified. In the last entry, Moran, Galloway & Co. is replaced with Vaughan Brothers & Co.
Quellen:

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.6-6-1-6, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum, 1980.
Filmed for the New Brunswick Museum, 1980.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Moran, Robert G., Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, 172

Pickford and Black shipping registers , 1880-1905
1 reel of microfilm

Administrative history
Partners Robert Pickford (1841-1914) and William A. Black (1847-1934) were ship chandlers and grocers of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Pickford founded the business 1870, and Black joined the firm in 1978, which was still flourishing in 1929. The firm expanded into shipping and steamships, and the West Indies trade. The firm was also an agent for Lloyd's and other European steamship lines.

Scope and content
This collection consists of three registers of incoming vessels, at Halifax, 1880-1905. The records were kept by Pickford and Black, but include all incoming shipping regardless of agent. Registers give the date of arrival, the rig, vessel name, tonnage, port of registry, master, where from, number of days at sea, consignee, cargo, wharf, date of sailing and destination.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: Mic.1-1-1-16, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1978.
Filmed from the Pickford and Black papers held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG 7 v. 43 - 45.

Thomas Aylward fonds , 1885-1901
3.5 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
Thomas Aylward was born at Falmouth, Nova Scotia in 1829. In 1854, he obtained his Master Mariner's certificate in London. His first command was on the ship China and he later commanded the British Queen and the Nile . He commanded vessels for the firm of John S. DeWolfe & Co., of Liverpool, England, sailing to India and Australia, and for Bennett Smith of Windsor, Nova Scotia. For several years he was managing owner of the ship Avoca and barquentines St. Croix , St. Paul and St. Peter . Aylward was a member of the Board of Stewards of the Methodist Church of Windsor, N.S. and was on the building committee of the church, St. John's United, which was erected in 1899. He died at Windsor on March 21, 1902.

Scope and content
This fonds consists of shipping account books, 1885-1893, bills and receipts for cargoes, 1885-1901. It includes records of expenses for the operation of vessels in Aylward's command including the St. Croix , 1895-1897, the St. Paul , the St. Peter and the Avoca , 1894-1899 lists of port charges seamen's wages, 1898-1899 and charters, accounts and insurances, 1900-1901.

Reference information
Copyright is held by Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management.
Location: R95-16, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1980.
Copied from the original documents held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1980.

Vessel's papers of the barque Snow Queen , 1876-1889
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
Frieze and Roy were merchants and shipowners of Maitland, Nova Scotia. Several people held shares in the barque Snow Queen (O.N. 64900), built at Maitland and registered in 1872: Thomas Kenny, Halifax merchant (24 shares) George Frieze, Maitland merchant (8 shares) Thomas Roy, Maitland merchant (12 shares) Alexander Roy, Maitland shipbuilder (12 shares) John Roy, Maitland farmer/planter (4 shares) and Hiram Grant, Maitland shipbuilder (4 shares). In 1891 the barque was sold to foreigners in Sweden.

Scope and content
The papers were microfilmed from the papers of Frieze and Roy and include charter parties and other papers relating to the vessel Snow Queen , 1876-1889.

Reference information
Location: Mic.5-10-4-1/2, Maritime History Archive
Copyright is held by the creator or his/her heirs.

W.D. Lawrence papers , 1835-1908
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
William Dawson Lawrence, born at Gilford, Northern Ireland in 1817, moved to Nova Scotia with his parents when he was an infant. In 1838, he apprenticed in the shipyards of Alexander Lyle and John Chappell at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. In 1847, he designed the Wanderer , a barque of 568 tons, which was launched in 1849. He then became involved in the design, construction, ownership and operation of his own vessels, deep sea barques and ships which carried general cargoes to all parts of the world and included the 2,459 ton ship William D. Lawrence , registered in 1874. The construction of this vessel put Lawrence in debt for $27,000, but over the next eight years it not only cleared the debt, but made a profit for its owners of over $140,000. Lawrence was active in politics throughout the 1860s. In 1859, he was appointed Justice of the Peace for Hants County, and in 1863 he was elected to represent Hants County in the provincial Assembly where he supported free education and adamantly opposed confederation. In the election of 1871, he made repeal of confederation a key issue but was defeated by William Henry Allison. He retained an active interest in politics until his death in 1886 at Maitland, Nova Scotia.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol. XI, pp. 501-502

Scope and content
These papers include: account books, 1859-1902, 1861-1862 logbook of brig Aeolis , 1867 a book containing newspaper clippings miscellaneous loose documents, 1835-1908, including indentures, bills of sale and petitions.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the owner Miss Abbie Lawrence, Maitland, Hants County, NS.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-4/5, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Filmed from the original documents by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1963.
Original papers held by Miss Abbie Lawrence, granddaughter of W.D. Lawrence.

William Roche letterbook , 1834-1841
3 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
William Roche Sr., 1800-1887, was a merchant and sea captain of Halifax. He was the president of Union Marine Insurance Company, and an alderman of the city of Halifax, 1849-1850 and 1862-1864.
Sources: Public Archives of Nova Scotia, Finding Aid to the Roche Papers

Scope and content
This is a photocopy of a letterbook , 1834-1841, of William Roche, partner of the firm of Roche and Kinnear. The correspondence contains information mostly about cargoes and the West India trade.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: MF-0167, Maritime History Archive
Maritime History Archive finding aid 26

Administration information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1981.
Copied from the original held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG3 v. 207.


The Cursed, Buried City That May Never See The Light of Day

Thirty-three years ago, Peter Brosnan heard a story that seemed too crazy to be true: buried somewhere along California&rsquos rugged Central Coast, beneath acres of sand dunes, lay the remains of a lost city. According to his friend at New York University&rsquos film school, the remains of a massive Egyptian temple, a dozen plaster sphinxes, eight mammoth lions, and four 40-ton statues of Ramses II were all supposedly entombed in the sands 150 some-odd miles north of Los Angeles.

&ldquoIt was an absolutely cockamamie story,&rdquo Brosnan says. &ldquoI thought he was nuts.&rdquo The ruins weren&rsquot authentic Egyptian ones, of course. They were the 60-year-old remains of a massive Hollywood set&mdashthe biggest, most expensive one ever built at the time. The faux Egyptian scenery had played the role of the City of the Pharaoh in one of Hollywood&rsquos first true epics, Cecil B DeMille&rsquos 1923 film Die Zehn Gebote. The set had required more than 1,500 carpenters to build and used over 25,000 pounds of nails. The production nearly ruined DeMille and his studio. When the shoot wrapped, the tempestuous director supposedly strapped dynamite to the structures and razed the whole set, burying it in the sands near Guadalupe, California, to ensure no rival director could benefit from his vision.

&ldquoIf 1,000 years from now archaeologists happen to dig beneath the sands of Guadalupe,&rdquo the director teased, &ldquoI hope they will not rush into print with the amazing news that Egyptian civilization&hellipextended all the way to the Pacific Coast.&rdquo

Bullshit, Brosnan thought. But then his buddy pointed him to a line in DeMille&rsquos posthumously published autobiography. &ldquoIf 1,000 years from now archaeologists happen to dig beneath the sands of Guadalupe,&rdquo the director teased, &ldquoI hope they will not rush into print with the amazing news that Egyptian civilization&hellipextended all the way to the Pacific Coast.&rdquo

By 1982, Brosnan had graduated from film school and was earning a living as a freelance journalist, but he couldn't shake his friend's story. The film student in him was enchanted by the idea of uncovering and preserving a forgotten bit of Hollywood&rsquos history. That summer, Brosnan and his friend drove across the country, from New York City to a stretch of coast near Santa Barbara, to see the ruins for themselves. The whole affair, he thought, would make for a hell of a documentary.

&ldquoWe were young, wannabe filmmakers, and I thought this was golden,&rdquo Brosnan says today. &ldquoWe&rsquoll find some archeologists, we&rsquoll find the set, we&rsquoll dig it up. The story writes itself.&rdquo

The City of the Pharaoh was not so much a movie set as it was a monument to the man who built it. DeMille was already a towering star in the early days of Hollywood, but in 1922 he was recovering from a streak of critical flops. He had gained a reputation for his sense of spectacle in films like Joan the Woman und Male and Female, und Die Zehn Gebote was to be his comeback.

Delivering DeMille&rsquos blockbuster meant deploying a barrage of special effects, at least by the standards of the day. In 1923, set design was the only way to visually transport viewers to the Sinai in the time of Moses. The &ldquodesert&rdquo DeMille chose for his Israelites to wander, while certainly more convenient than filming on location in Egypt, presented a logistical nightmare. There were no nearby cities, no paved roads, and no place for his cast of thousands to stay. The 22,000 acres of sand dunes that separated the small farming town of Guadalupe from the Pacific Ocean was harsh and desolate. The sharp-grained sand that gives the wind there its added sting is devoid of nutrients, and, combined with constant salt sprays from the sea, makes life a rarity in the dunes. For DeMille, it was perfect.

The sphinx on set in 1923. (Foto: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

&ldquoYour skin will be cooked raw,&rdquo DeMille told his army of 3,500 actors and extras, according to a Los Angeles Zeiten reporter on the scene. &ldquoYou will miss the comforts of home. You will be asked to endure perhaps the most unpleasant location in cinema history. I expect of you your supreme efforts.&rdquo

The costs were mounting even before DeMille arrived in Guadalupe to begin shooting. Preproduction expenses were already approaching $700,000&mdashan astronomical sum in the early days of Hollywood. More than a million pounds of statuary, concrete, and plaster were used to construct the 120-foot-tall, 800-foot-long temple and surrounding structures, and whole plaster sphinxes were sculpted and loaded onto trucks bound for the dunes. Every day on location meant feeding and housing the thousands of workers and animals. DeMille drove his construction team to work faster. Paramount Studios, the film&rsquos backer, began sending DeMille increasingly desperate letters demanding that he cut costs. One receipt, for $3,000 spent on a &ldquomagnificent team of horses&rdquo for the pharaoh, pushed the studio over the edge, according to Sumiko Higashi, a professor emeritus at The College at Brockport, SUNY, and author of Cecil B. DeMille and American Culture: the Silent Era, a biography of DeMille.

&ldquoYou have lost your mind,&rdquo telegraphed Adolph Zukor, founder of Paramount Pictures. &ldquoStop filming and return to Los Angeles at once.&rdquo DeMille refused. He took out a personal loan and waived his guaranteed percentage of the movie&rsquos gross to ensure the production continued. &ldquoI cannot and will not make pictures with a yardstick,&rdquo he wired back to the studio. &ldquoWhat do they want me to do?&rdquo he was rumored to have said, according to Higashi. &ldquoStop now and release it as The Five Commandments?&rdquo

Despite the warnings, DeMille pushed on. Bugles sounded every morning to 4:30 a.m. to wake the 5,000 workers and actors that populated the 24-square-mile tent city he&rsquod built in the dunes. (It earned the nickname the City of DeMille.) His workers raised the 109-foot-tall Great Gate&mdashan archway covered in intricate busts of rearing stallions&mdashand buttressed it with two 35-foot-tall clay-and-plaster statues of the Pharaoh. They erected a &ldquocity wall&rdquo&mdashbuilt 750 feet long because DeMille refused to work with painted backgrounds or limit his cinematic choices. Five mammoth sphinxes, weighing over five tons each, lined the entrance to the ersatz Egyptian city.

Filming was done at a madcap pace and condensed into a mere three weeks, according to Scott Eyman&rsquos biography, Empire of Dreams: The Epic Life of Cecil B. DeMille. But even with the Exodus in the can, one more problem loomed. According to a prior agreement with the landowners, DeMille&rsquos monumental set had to be dismantled before he left. Production costs had already ballooned to over $1.4 million, more than any other film previously made. DeMille considered reneging on the deal, Brosnan says, but likely worried about another issue: If he left is city standing, rival directors from other studios could easily swoop into Guadalupe and produce an epic on the cheap. DeMille would not have that. Rather than pay workers to take the set down, he settled on a faster method. Dynamite was supposedly strapped to the great temple he had built, and the City of the Pharaoh was brought down. According to legend, he ordered bulldozers to mound sand over the scattered remains and quickly left town.

Sixty years later, in 1983, Brosnan arrived at the dunes like the Children of Israel before him&mdashcompletely lost. He knew the set was buried somewhere, but the dunes stretched nearly 30 miles, across two counties. Looking for clues, he called the Air Force base that occupied much of the coastline. (&ldquoSir,&rdquo he says the sergeant on the other end of the line told him, &ldquoThere is no Egyptian city buried at Vandenberg Air Force Base.&rdquo) He haunted local libraries. He hounded municipal politicians. No one could provide hints about the set&rsquos exact location.

Then he stumbled upon an old ranch hand at a local tavern who had run cattle through the dunes for decades. On a cold and dark morning, after a savage storm had rearranged the topography of the dunes, Brosnan and the rancher hiked the sea of hundred-foot-high peaks, making their way a mile toward the pounding surf of the Pacific. Eventually they spied what locals called &ldquothe dune that never moves"&mdashthe sandy tomb that covered DeMille&rsquos set&mdashand saw a chunk of Plaster of Paris statuary poking through.

The sphinx before excavation. (Foto: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

The discovery made headlines around the world and Brosnan fielded calls from Die New York Times, NBC Nightly News, und Personen Zeitschrift. His documentary idea, which had seemed pie-in-the-sky a few months earlier, looked promising. And his pitch&mdashthat the lost city is the oldest existing Hollywood set left that props from more modern shoots have already been preserved for posterity that early set design was, in a sense, an American art form&mdashstruck a chord in the industry. Brosnan tentatively called his documentary project The Lost City.

Charlton Heston, star of DeMille&rsquos 1956 remake of the film, publicly wished the project well, and local archaeologists volunteered their time to help in the excavation. A curator at the Smithsonian expressed interest in acquiring some pieces, once the dig wrapped. Promises for funding came in from Paramount Pictures and Bank of America. Brosnan moved to Hollywood with the intention of pursuing a career in the &lsquobiz. But first, he had to start digging.

&ldquoThis will be a scientific exploration by highly trained personnel,&rdquo said a Cambridge-educated archaeologist who signed on in 1983. &ldquoNot a case of simply digging up stuff like potatoes. And if we're serious about documenting movie history, then let's do it properly.&rdquo

Excavating the City of the Pharaoh. (Foto: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

The excavation and documentary progressed, but Brosnan constantly faced two problems: funding and permitting. When he had the money, the county wouldn&rsquot let him touch the environmentally sensitive area. (The western snowy plover, a federally protected species that nests along california&rsquos coast, keeps the dunes off limits to people for half the year during breeding season.) By the time he got permission to dig, seven years later, funding had dried up. In 1990, several organizations, including the Smithsonian and the DeMille Family Trust, agreed to partially fund the project, and Brosnan and an archeologist used ground-penetrating radar to show that much of the set remained intact. But he couldn&rsquot raise enough money to excavate the actual ruins. He needed $175,000 for an archeological dig to recover 60-year-old fake relics. &ldquoWe don't see this as a fake Egypt,&rdquo Brosnan told a reporter at the time. &ldquoWe see this as real cinema history.&rdquo

But by the mid-1990s, Brosnan had been scraping by in the movie business for a decade, writing scripts and directing small projects. Lacking the money, he gave up the dig.

That DeMille&rsquos ruins have survived intact to this day, albeit buried in the sands, is a quirk of geography. The dunes, which cover some 35 square miles of the coast here, formed about 15,000 years ago, according to Doug Jenzen, executive director of the non-profit Dunes Center in Guadalupe. Jenzen and his team run a small museum out of a craftsman on the town&rsquos main (and only) drag and head up conservation efforts for the Dunes preserve. It&rsquos a charming little museum that seems out of place among the shuttered movie theater and boarded up buildings of Guadalupe, but the Dunes and DeMille are the only source of tourism dollars in this largely agricultural area, Jenzen says.

Thousands of years ago, rivers swept mineral-dense rocks and boulders from the nearby coastal range down to the sea, eventually pummeling the earth into fine grain sand. &ldquoOne of the reasons the movie set is preserved so well is because of the minerals in the sand,&rdquo Jenzen says. &ldquoYou know how when you order something mail order and it comes with the silica packets? The sand actually acted as a natural desiccant that preserved the plaster for the statues.&rdquo

For 15 years, the ruins were left undisturbed. Every few years a reporter or a researcher would call and Brosnan would humor him or her with details of his odyssey in the dunes. Each time, he hoped the new round of publicity would inject dollars into the effort, but nothing ever came through.

In October 2014, archeologists preserve decaying remains from wind-blown sand at Guadalupe Dunes. (Foto: AP)

In 2010, though, after the Los Angeles Zeiten ran yet another piece on his unfinished dig, a woman&mdashwho wishes to remain anonymous&mdashcontacted Brosnan and offered to put up the money needed to finish the film. But by then he was married with children and had been away from the project for two decades. &ldquoMy first response was a moment of panic,&rdquo Brosnan says. &ldquoThere&rsquos no way I could do this.&rdquo

But Brosnan hired a producer and an editor, and last fall, with the help of a Santa Barbara County grant, a team of archeologists excavated most of a sphinx. Brosnan was on hand to film it. &ldquoWe had always wanted to end with a shot of the sphinx being found. And we got it,&rdquo he says. Using his early footage shot in the 1980s, Brosnan has pulled together a rough cut and has an editor working on a final draft. He says he&rsquos looking for distributors and considering the film festival circuit soon.

In the Dune Center, Jenzen and his team display parts of one of the large plaster sphinxes and smaller relics that have been successfully pulled from the sand. &ldquoAll of the statues were made of plaster,&rdquo he says. &ldquoThey were built to last two months&mdash92 years ago. I don&rsquot think this could have happened anywhere else on earth.&rdquo

However, Jenzen says the ruins may not survive another 92 years. Powerful storms in the last few years have shifted the sands of the dunes dramatically&mdashmore of the set is now exposed to the elements than ever before. The Dunes Center needs $100,000 to unearth another sphinx to add it to the display, Jenzen says, before it&rsquos too late. &ldquoIt&rsquos disappearing so fast,&rdquo he says, &ldquoArcheologists originally thought it&rsquod last until 2090&mdashbut every time we go out, more is gone.&rdquo


Schau das Video: Most People Dont Even Realize Whats Coming. Edward Snowden 2021 (Januar 2022).